Page 176 of 376 FirstFirst ... 76126166172173174175176177178179180186226276 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,640 of 5626
    Incredible Member

Yes, the numbers are bad. But the reality is that they are all clumped pretty closely together.
    When people suggest we might need a reboot, it is numbers like this.
    It can't go on like this forever, just barely scraping by.

Incredible Member

Now that preview is already far better than the Batman/Superman special. Cool to see the United Planets used again, I felt it was the best thing Bendis did in his Superman run (no idea how he's handling it in his JL run) so I'm glad it's getting continuity. The brief scene we had with all the members of the Authority did a good job at showcasing most of them (except Midnighter and OMAC).

As for the numbers, can't say I didn't expect it. Don't have much to say about them, other than 1) Son of Kal-El is going to be getting a significant boost in subsequent reports and 2) Superman '78 dropped fairly fast.

Spectacular Member

Judging by the preview, i can make two predicitions.

1) the phaelosians will probaly turn out to not be exactly "clean". Maybe they worshipped and tried to free whatever is in the necropolis, and it's basically cthulhu bigger badder brother, so now evryone hates them. This also mean that there will be conflict with the united planets sooner or later, which would make earth the only place where they wont get killed on sight.

2) june will be the one to die and without her no carrier and no interplanetary range teleporting, leaving them trapped on warworld. She'll get resurrected towards the end.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    28k for Action Comics? A DC flagship title? Starring the worlds original superhero?!

I just don't get it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Just to be fair, Son of Kal-El falling is also pretty significant, not to mention Supergirl.
    But yeah, Action numbers are really depressing.
    SoK is selling below the filler-ish last issues of the SM series before its cancellation. Under normal circumstances, such series would drop in the 20k range by issue 4 or 5.

Btw, what I got from the past months' sales data available is that regular customers of the main SM books weren't liking the direction (and its build up) and are dropping the series. In this case, on one hand, SoK will make up for the loss with the new readers and speculators jumping on the book after the news/controversy surrounding it, but, on the other hand, Clark will be kinda of screwed. The start of the new arc (Warworld saga) could be a jumping on point for some, but we'll see how much of a change it could be.

It'll be "interesting" to see the status of the franchise in, let's say, 6 months to 1 year from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Hyped and curious to see where all this will lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromor View Post
    Judging by the preview, i can make two predicitions.

1) the phaelosians will probaly turn out to not be exactly "clean". Maybe they worshipped and tried to free whatever is in the necropolis, and it's basically cthulhu bigger badder brother, so now evryone hates them. This also mean that there will be conflict with the united planets sooner or later, which would make earth the only place where they wont get killed on sight.

2) june will be the one to die and without her no carrier and no interplanetary range teleporting, leaving them trapped on warworld. She'll get resurrected towards the end.
    I’m guessing that pretty much all of the Authority will get killed but that they’ll be resurrected over the course of the Warworld Saga. That will show what a threat Mongul is.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm hoping when we get the inevitable re-launch, they will let Johnson do a soft reboot/new jumping on point and continue with a new #1. I don't think his writing is the only factor in low sales, and it'd be a shame if he got booted because his corner of things is the only exciting thing going on in the Super books right now.

Same with Cloonan and Conrad on WW. They're fucking great.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

As I said in previous posts, I expect AC #1050 (that's supposed to be released at the end of 2022) being the start of new direction for the series. I didn't thought it's also coming out around the 30th anniversary of DoS before reading this article shared by DC's publicist: https://twitter.com/drinkpinkink/sta...72299118440451

😬

PKJ being vague about the article's speculation: https://twitter.com/PhillipKJohnson/...73842077573120

Confident that Clark will get killed, but like in Future State, Mongul will bring him back and toss him to the pits. That would make him a symbol of the futility of defiance. Then Clark helps lead a rebellion that ultimately succeeds in unseating Mongul. Hopefully any Authority members that get killed off will be brought back by the end, because I really like the idea of Clark leading the group.

As for the long term, yeah, there has to be a relaunch coming. Sales across the board at DC just aren’t good, only Batman is selling well. I’m assuming that after Williamson’s 2022 event there will be a linewide relaunch. Hopefully PKJ will get to continue like how Venditti did on GL. I want to see this big epic story he’s setting up that involves Aethyr. My guess is that he’ll get to continue to 1050 at the very least, provided there are no dramatic dip in sales, and after that we’ll see.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Confident that Clark will get killed, but like in Future State, Mongul will bring him back and toss him to the pits. That would make him a symbol of the futility of defiance. Then Clark helps lead a rebellion that ultimately succeeds in unseating Mongul. Hopefully any Authority members that get killed off will be brought back by the end, because I really like the idea of Clark leading the group.

As for the long term, yeah, there has to be a relaunch coming. Sales across the board at DC just aren’t good, only Batman is selling well. I’m assuming that after Williamson’s 2022 event there will be a linewide relaunch. Hopefully PKJ will get to continue like how Venditti did on GL. I want to see this big epic story he’s setting up that involves Aethyr. My guess is that he’ll get to continue to 1050 at the very least, provided there are no dramatic dip in sales, and after that we’ll see.
    Overall I’ve enjoyed PKJ’s run. It’s a shame the numbers are so bad (line wide). There has been a lot of talk about Superman dying once again to morbidly commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Death of Superman. as you said, Future State showed that Kal dying was actually part of Mongul’s torture. Superman could have ended his hell by submitting but he wouldn’t give up on the Warworld slaves.

So yeah, (the real) Superman will probably die but I’m fully expecting him to make a triumphant return.

Though it does depress me that DC/WB seems to agree with that shitty line in Infinite Crisis where Batman says, “the last time you really inspired anyone is when you were dead.” It’s become a go-to for them when it comes to Kal.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Has anyone thought of the possiblity that when PKJ says there's going to be an "Earth based" story after Waroworld that it doesn't actually have to mean "our" Earth?

He said that his story would have multiverse implications, and in his Authority special they stop an invasion from another Earth. Lightray is also from another Earth and she'll be important to things going forward.

Plus of course this would be a way to allow for Earth based Clark stories without that clashing with Jon as "our" Earth's primary Superman. It would also work with the whole "Death of Superman" thing. Clark would vanish from the face of the universe because he wouldn't be in it.

House of El even hints at this idea thematically because Clark was sent to another dimension that needed a Superman.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...994485250?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Has anyone thought of the possiblity that when PKJ says there's going to be an "Earth based" story after Waroworld that it doesn't actually have to mean "our" Earth?

He said that his story would have multiverse implications, and in his Authority special they stop an invasion from another Earth. Lightray is also from another Earth and she'll be important to things going forward.

Plus of course this would be a way to allow for Earth based Clark stories without that clashing with Jon as "our" Earth's primary Superman. It would also work with the whole "Death of Superman" thing. Clark would vanish from the face of the universe because he wouldn't be in it.

House of El even hints at this idea thematically because Clark was sent to another dimension that needed a Superman.
    I’d certainly be up for a Multiversial romp by Clark and the Authority. Maybe Manchester could meet his Earth 3 counterpart who is the nicest guy on Earth 3 . But I think it will be “our” Earth given he’s specified that Lois will be involved.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...994485250?s=21

I’d certainly be up for a Multiversial romp by Clark and the Authority. Maybe Manchester could meet his Earth 3 counterpart who is the nicest guy on Earth 3 . But I think it will be “our” Earth given he’s specified that Lois will be involved.
    Doesn't have to be "our" Lois
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Doesn't have to be "our" Lois
    True. Which Earth could they go to however? Obviously it could be a brand new Earth, but with a Multiversial trip I think PKJ would want to hit at least one of the more well known ones.

Didn't PJK hype up his big story as biggest Superman story since DoS? Might have been a hint right there.

As for sales, its kinda sad that we now have to bank on Jon's bisexuality being big enough draw to "fix the franchise".

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Comichron's Sept. 2021 estimated sales numbers for the Superman related titles:

Superman Son of Kal-El 3 - 34,000

Superman and the Authority 3 - 31,000

Action Comics 1035 - 28,000

Batman Superman 22 - 27,000

Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow 4 - 26,000

Superman ’78 2 - 26,000

Challenge of the Super Sons 6 - 13,000

https://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...1/2021-09.html
    This is just an educated guess, right? They have no way of knowing the real numbers.