Page 226 of 376 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236276326 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 5626
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Wow!I didn't even realise the infinity stone connection..i wonder what would happen if and when superman gets all the stones,combines them..Would superman become an old god?(which he is..come on..The story of superman is as old as it comes)
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Connecting DC’s Infinity Stones to the emotional spectrum is pretty cool. No one has done anything interesting with the spectrum in a long time.

I am so glad the manchester black is getting into it.I have a theory,it's about the arthur story was used as plot device by the morrison now being used by pkj.Both of which,I think the end point of the story is for clark to pull a magic weapon by uniting pieces and into a stone.If not clark,then the one of the lanterns.But the morrison was the one setting it up in a superman book with superman as parallel to arthur(Much to my dismay..knights aren't my thing).it would be really anti climatic,if it was someone else.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-31-2022 at 02:02 AM.

I understand that the idea here was to show how Clark's and Mongul's childhood shaped them into these opposing characters, but it just didn't work for me. On Mongul's side we get an attempt to flesh out Warzoon's world view and it does provide some hooks for making Mongul a bit more complicated character. Meanwhile on Clark's side we basically get simplistic "be good boy" story.

Suppose I was a new reader and this was my first Superman comic book? I'd be rooting for Mongul since he looks like more interesting character here.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I understand that the idea here was to show how Clark's and Mongul's childhood shaped them into these opposing characters, but it just didn't work for me. On Mongul's side we get an attempt to flesh out Warzoon's world view and it does provide some hooks for making Mongul a bit more complicated character. Meanwhile on Clark's side we basically get simplistic "be good boy" story.

Suppose I was a new reader and this was my first Superman comic book? I'd be rooting for Mongul since he looks like more interesting character here.
    That's is,if you believe a guy who liberates slaves is gonna "be a good boy".I mean,freedom is more complicated than that i believe.So,That part i had no issues with.But arthurian legends parallels, the knighthood thing,..etc does make clark into good boy knight figure..

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Action Comics 2022 Annual #1
    Writers: Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Si Spurrier
    Artists: Dale Eaglesham and Ian Churchill

This is one of my favorite Superman stories in a good while. Excellent use of Martha Kent.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This is one of my favorite Superman stories in a good while. Excellent use of Martha Kent.
    The mongul part didn't completely click for me but the Superman half? Yeah, I got a little teary-eyed. And loved Martha in this, when Caleb hit her with the ball and we see what's happening I was shocked even if I knew what the ending would be (best kind prequel storytelling as well).

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Normally not one for B&W over color but I can see the appeal with Federeci’s art.

Well, what works really well here is that Federici has a very solid grasp on shape and light. The colorist mostly has to keep things simple, stick to a good a palette and follow the pencils. I generally prefer when colorist don't overcomplicatr stuff as well, some try to make simplistic art into paintings and things look overstuffed.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Normally not one for B&W over color but I can see the appeal with Federeci’s art.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    His art is somehow even more amazing in black and white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    Well, what works really well here is that Federici has a very solid grasp on shape and light. The colorist mostly has to keep things simple, stick to a good a palette and follow the pencils. I generally prefer when colorist don't overcomplicatr stuff as well, some try to make simplistic art into paintings and things look overstuffed.
    What I've always really liked about black and white is that it can really bring out the little details in a unique way. I'm talking things like being able to see individual pencil strokes, shading, and techniques like cross hatching (speaking of, Frank Cho on ballpoint).

Not that its better than color per se (which is its own skill unto itself), but I think B&W really brings out a lot of these details that you don't see as well elsewhere.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Action Comics 2022 Annual #1
    Writers: Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Si Spurrier
    Artists: Dale Eaglesham and Ian Churchill

Really enjoyed the Mongul story, I appreciate that it’s shown how he wasn’t “evil” at the start. The twin story works well because we get Mongul trying to be a hero/“soft” in the beginning while Clark starts out being waaay more aggressive and underhanded. Then their mothers enter the picture and nudge them on to different paths, Mongul’s mom pushing Mongul towards ruthlessness and selfishness, Martha Kent pushing Clark towards empathy. The Clark story is still kind of cliche but it’s the most I’ve enjoyed Spurrier’s handling of the character thus far.

Gotta throw this in given my bias, would’ve been a way better story on the Clark side if his mom died of cancer as a parallel to what happened with Mongul’s mom. But that’s out of Spurrier’s hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    What I've always really liked about black and white is that it can really bring out the little details in a unique way. I'm talking things like being able to see individual pencil strokes, shading, and techniques like cross hatching (speaking of, Frank Cho on ballpoint).

Not that its better than color per se (which is its own skill unto itself), but I think B&W really brings out a lot of these details that you don't see as well elsewhere.
    Yeah the colors have been good, but in B&W certain details pop out to me more. Specifically seeing just how many corpses there are, that’s something that didn’t really jump out to me with colors but does in B&W.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I loved this addition to the Kent’s story. Martha showing Clark what real strength looks like.

This newer take on Mongul has been interesting but there are so many cold hearted warrior villains already. I’ve always like Mongul because, unlike Darkseid, he kills and conquers with a smile on his face. Someone that’s not just a dictator but a sadist.

He seems to genuinely enjoy hurting people which made him even scarier.

I knew i wouldn't care for the annual.."grow them the right way".. instantly had me out.I see individuals,not simplistic nature and nurture.Yes this doesn't change my opinions on superman..The character in this run as he stands is a holier than thou savior figure.He might be able to roll with the punches..He will never feel what its like to get hit by them..To be abused by them,by your own parents no less..To rise above that situation by your own choice,by your own capacity to descern right and wrong..etc.So superman is not that kid's champion.

He conquered another person's demon because he himself supposedly has none.Because he "supposedly" grown the right way. He might very well be..But,a gladiator he most certainly is not..Knights are nurtured to be with a code.Gladiators come to terms with and create their code in the pit.They don't get handouts.

"Only the sith deals in absolutes"

People who don't see why this is a problem.welcome to it.But,those who see the other side of the entire shtick,themes,troupes and concepts superman writers are using... aren't wrong

"Shifu : I can control where to plant the seed! That is no illusion, Master!

Oogway : Ah, yes. But no matter what you do, that seed will grow to be a peach tree. You may wish for an apple or an orange, but you will get a peach.

Shifu : But a peach cannot defeat Tai Lung!

Oogway : [folding dirt over the peach pit] Maybe it *can*, if you are willing to guide it, to nurture it. To believe in it."

#WiseoldturtleRulez
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-31-2022 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I loved this addition to the Kent’s story. Martha showing Clark what real strength looks like.

This newer take on Mongul has been interesting but there are so many cold hearted warrior villains already. I’ve always like Mongul because, unlike Darkseid, he kills and conquers with a smile on his face. Someone that’s not just a dictator but a sadist.

He seems to genuinely enjoy hurting people which made him even scarier.
    Darkseid does that too. He’s a very petty god who enjoys breaking individuals as much as he enjoys conquering worlds. Only major difference between Darkseid and Mongul has been that Mongul is more hands on and direct in how he goes about his business, he’s a warrior who enjoys killing personally, while Darkseid prefers to work through intermediaries since as a god he sees himself as above direct interaction usually. There’s really no getting around the similarities truth be told. But since Darkseid is more of a “JL” Rogue these days, I’ll happily take Mongul as a Superman-only Rogue to explore that archetype in Superman stories without having to share him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post

A hero is only as good as his villain so if the writer made You cheer for mongul (something that has never happened before) he has succeeded.

On a side note, omg this run of action comics is amazing.

I’m curious if the “Infinity Stones” will be the explanation as to how Mongul can go toe to toe with a fully powered Superman. Since his first appearance Mongul has been shown to be just as strong as Kal, but in this run we’ve seen that he’s strong but no where near as powerful as usually portrayed. This weakened Superman was able to knock Mongul off balance and the backstory shows that while Warzoons are very durable, they’re no where near the level of a fully powered Kryptonian.