Page 306 of 376 FirstFirst ... 206256296302303304305306307308309310316356 ... LastLast
Results 4,576 to 4,590 of 5626

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That's the same reasoning as hanah montana.Hannah montana does the same shtick.i am saying it's dumb.A 16 year old,clark ain't.Clark needs to learn to cope with it the way any star would and their families.

He is superman..not normal..normalcy shouldn't be expected or in the purview of his life.They not only made batman superman(everything about batman is extraordinary)..They made superman...normal.Then they ask why people prefer batman.
    ...Why? Why does he "need to"? Why doesn't he have a right to normalcy or privacy? He's earned that. Arguably more than any other superhero. What does it matter if Hannah Montana also did it? As if Hannah Montana is the originator of fictional characters having secret identities....As if Superman hasn't been doing this LONG before Miley Cyrus even existed.

It's one thing to not like him having a secret identity. That's perfectly valid. There are some heroes that I think would be better off going public too. But why are we acting like a superhero just wanting a normal life outside of their jobs is something that only pampered, teenager Disney Channel stars should want? Or that there's something inherently wrong with wanting to keep a low profile for himself and his family? Or wanting to do good but to still be looked at as a person and not a messiah? If he has the means to, he's well within his right to keep his personal life and his superhero life separate. I'd do the exact same thing in his shoes.

That's the same reasoning as hanah montana.Hannah montana does the same shtick.i am saying it's dumb.A 16 year old,clark ain't.Clark needs to learn to cope with it the way any star would and their families.

He is superman..not normal..normalcy shouldn't be expected or in the purview of his life.They not only made batman superman(everything about batman is extraordinary)..They made superman...normal.Then they ask why people prefer batman.
    He's not out to be a celebrity though, he's not a pop star. He's literally fighting dangerous criminals and Supervillains on a daily basis.

He also grew up as a normal kid in Kansas, more or less.

I mean, even Batman has a secret identity, as much as a lot of people can't relate to being rich and running a company.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

If Lex really wanted to take something away from Superman, he should've made people forget Clark Kent's existence NWH-style.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Thinking about it, while I do like the secret identity back, I can understand those who think they didn't do more with it because yeah they didn't.

Bendis himself barely made use of it, placing Superman in strictly super situations afterwards. PKJ didn't make use of it because he got saddled with the Warworld Saga for over a year meaning there was no point to actually focus on Clark doing civilian stuff. And of course Taylor's SoK largely had Jon focusing entirely on super stuff without any focus on his down-time and personal life which is notable since the 2nd issue starts with Jon languishing his inability to do something as simple as go to college, but that stops being a thing from then on.

So the last few years the Superman comics fell into the trap of not placing enough focus on the civilian stuff on the character making his lack of secret identity largely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jimmy didn't know Pre-Crisis so I feel like the likelihood that they would consider him finding out early is as likely as Lois.

I feel like modern Jimmy is conceptualized more as a guy who gets into random @#$% and makes the most out of it and helps Supes out than a strict confidante.
    Correct but since writers clearly struggle with what role exactly Jimmy should have that isn’t just nostalgic nods to Silver Age gags, I believe turning him into that kind of close confidant would lead to better writing for him. At the very least it would give him a set role in the Superman narrative that everyone would understand.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Correct but since writers clearly struggle with what role exactly Jimmy should have that isn’t just nostalgic nods to Silver Age gags, I believe turning him into that kind of close confidant would lead to better writing for him. At the very least it would give him a set role in the Superman narrative that everyone would understand.
    I at least hope that the current writers build on what Fraction did with him in his series (which I think should be required reading for Jimmy).

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Holy crap, I just realized that this was the same Nick Dragotta who drew East of West! Wow, his work on that book was wonderful... I just don't think he's a good fit for Superman, who I generally think works best with a classic superhero art style.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

BANNED

Let's see if now the human Clark is good for something, I want stories with the human Clark with the journalist Clark, it doesn't help me that the secret identity is back if in the end everything is Superman. One of the things that bothers me the most is when they say that writing Superman is difficult because he is very powerful, if you can't write Superman, write Clark, a journalist in a world like Earth Dc I buy that comic.

I actually really liked the issue,mostly for lex,he was written very well here imo.even liked the jon sequence at the end.

Wonder if lex will tell every villain who superman is or.keep.it to himself,even if he employs the villain himself,like.metallo.
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    I actually really liked the issue,mostly for lex,he was written very well here imo.even liked the jon sequence at the end.

Wonder if lex will tell every villain who superman is or.keep.it to himself,even if he employs the villain himself,like.metallo.
    He can’t tell them without killing them per the rules established about Project Blackout.

Their minds won’t accept it.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

The celebrity and privacy reasoning is overstated..you don't see celebrities running around with secret identity.This is a grown ass man playing pretend not hannah Montana.it ain't cute.

I would support something like superman/real clark creating a pen id for writing purposes.. that he doesn't want the world to know about.For talking the talk not just walk the walk and putting forth his opinions.
    Britney Spears, One Direction, royals beg to differ. Would his celebrity die down over the YEARS? Sure, but starting out? Nah there would be people all up in their business. Villains would target those close to him. He'd be one of the biggest celebrities in the world and everyone will want access to Clark Kent.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He can’t tell them without killing them per the rules established about Project Blackout.

Their minds won’t accept it.

Oh ****,guess it goes both ways then,huh.guess superman doesn't have to worry about his loved ones EVER getting attacked because of him ever again.

I want to see some space folk come down and stsrt.**** with Clark ,and ppl are all around them ,and they all just fall over dying because the alien is telling them he is superman
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Britney Spears, One Direction, royals beg to differ. Would his celebrity die down over the YEARS? Sure, but starting out? Nah there would be people all up in their business. Villains would target those close to him. He'd be one of the biggest celebrities in the world and everyone will want access to Clark Kent.

God bless the secret identity

There's also the plain and simple fact that not much was done with the secret identity reveal anyways.

Incredible Member

So, if the first arc of the new Super-Family status quo is going to heavily feature Kara, and it's also Metallo's big showcase as a villain... what are we expecting in an interaction between those two (if we're expecting anything at all)?