Page 113 of 376 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 5626
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

This is just beautiful....I hope does something bonkers.The laser vision explosion was a bit underwhelming.I wonder if jon can control solar flare and turn it into blastsss.A nuclear punch would be awesome....I hope jon's shtick is't world's of cardboard,power is burden,Hold back..etc .but something like "Go beyond plus ultra"...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Action Comics #1031 preview

http://www.buzzcomics.net/showpost.p...75&postcount=1

This is gonna be amazing.

Astonishing Member

Okay, that preview is amazing. Though one nitpick, he should have gone with Kal instead of Clark.

Incredible Member

That first page is magnificent. The complete awe of an oppressed person suddenly seeing Superman, and then a complete tonal shift as we change perspective to Clark and he isn't even aware of the impression he just made.

But yeah, should have introduced himself as Kal. I'd wonder if this is part of how PKJ sees Superman as mainly just Clark, but then I remember the aliens from the Superman book refer to him as Kal, so clearly he doesn't have that much of an issue with using the Kryptonian name.

PKJ has said in a few interviews that he sees Clark thinking of himself as Clark, and not Kal, in his head. And that’s how he introduces himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    PKJ has said in a few interviews that he sees Clark thinking of himself as Clark, and not Kal, in his head. And that’s how he introduces himself.
    I can get that, although you'd think if he was speaking ancient Kryptonian he'd use his Kryptonian name...

Incredible Member

Plus, from the Superman story arc, we have implicit confirmation that he has introduced himself as Kal to alien people in the past.

Maybe he's exploiting the lack of a secret identity anymore in a small way. One day he'll introduce himself to someone as Kal-El, the next Clark, because it doesn't matter anymore about keeping the difference. Just a complete roll of the dice on what his whim is at the moment.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    That first page is magnificent. The complete awe of an oppressed person suddenly seeing Superman, and then a complete tonal shift as we change perspective to Clark and he isn't even aware of the impression he just made.

But yeah, should have introduced himself as Kal. I'd wonder if this is part of how PKJ sees Superman as mainly just Clark, but then I remember the aliens from the Superman book refer to him as Kal, so clearly he doesn't have that much of an issue with using the Kryptonian name.
    The ship is tied down by chains as well.very much goldenage...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Maybe he's exploiting the lack of a secret identity anymore in a small way. One day he'll introduce himself to someone as Kal-El, the next Clark, because it doesn't matter anymore about keeping the difference. Just a complete roll of the dice on what his whim is at the moment.
    He said in an interview that Clark won’t ever introduce himself as Superman (he’s not rejecting or discarding the title, he’s just not introducing himself as that to people) and that’s a direct impact of the identity reveal.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

That makes sense. I still don't support this being the status quo at all, but as long as it is it only makes sense that he could be more personal across all the aisles.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    This is just beautiful....I hope does something bonkers.The laser vision explosion was a bit underwhelming.I wonder if jon can control solar flare and turn it into blastsss.A nuclear punch would be awesome....I hope jon's shtick is't world's of cardboard,power is burden,Hold back..etc .but something like "Go beyond plus ultra"...
    We'll see a lot of thing bonkers in the future. As PKJ has said, He sees Superman as figure of absolute power, who could conquer the universe, but He's also selfless and good not to do this.

And during an interview on worldballoon he said something like:

These are big, cosmic-adventure stories - since he felt the core of Bendis’s run were about intimate character interactions he’s throwing the lever in the opposite direction, saying that if that was about Superman’s humanity this is about Superman as a borderline-god.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    We'll see a lot of thing bonkers in the future. As PKJ has said, He sees Superman as figure of absolute power, who could conquer the universe, but He's also selfless and good not to do this.

And during an interview on worldballoon he said something like:

These are big, cosmic-adventure stories - since he felt the core of Bendis’s run were about intimate character interactions he’s throwing the lever in the opposite direction, saying that if that was about Superman’s humanity this is about Superman as a borderline-god.

It is like all writers, a lot of talk about the power of superman, but so far I have not seen anything impressive.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I get why people want him to always go by Clark, but it reminds me very much of people who expect you to lose any sense of your ethnic origin when you become an American. I understand entirely that he likely refers to himself as Clark when able, but if he's speaking ancient Kryptonian to someone, he should go by Kal. It's also his name.

I'm a first generation American so while I've never been to ye olde country, it's still a part of my life and upbringing. This reads like someone who doesn't understand the immigrant quality of Clark's psyche. It's a minor nitpick, but it rang hollow.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Speaking for myself, I'm first gen American, and I have a very hard to pronounce traditional name along with an western/English name. This is common practice for a lot of people I know and have seen. But they only people that go through the trouble of identifying me as the hard to pronounce name are a select few people who are borderline stubborn about it. I frankly couldn't pronounce the damn name properly till I was like 12 or 13, and I've been bilingual my whole life. I introduce myself as my English name because that's the name I say in my head. It doesn't mean the other name isn't mine, but I'm not going to go out of my way to say it unless asked directly. It's like when Vegeta refuses to call Goku Goku. That's a him thing, and not a Goku thing.

And in Superman's case, I particularly like him introducing himself as Clark even when speaking the most ancient version of Kryptonian because it denotes a level of casual confidence that I want from him regularly. Kal-El is him straining to stand on ceremony. That's a Superman who has reconciled with the duality of himself, and come out from the other side being able to just say "hi, I'm Clark" and have that carry the weight of the life he's lived up to this point.

Plus, speaking as someone who is bilingual, I always love it when your speaking fluent in another language, and you throw in an English name or something that has no translation. It must've sounded like "blah blah blah blah blah Clark blah blah blah" And there's something really charming and real about that.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.