Page 12 of 376 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

On one hand I love Russel and would buy a Superman book from him in a heartbeat, can’t wait for Imperious Lex. On the other hand, I don’t know if Russel is a good fit for a monthly ongoing comic in the mainline. His type of satire is hilarious, but I don’t see it connecting with the main superhero audience who are just here to see their heroes punch evildoers and mope about nameless civies getting slaughtered by Doomsday that week.

I really would love to see Russel do some Blue & Red work or a miniseries though.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    On one hand I love Russel and would buy a Superman book from him in a heartbeat, can’t wait for Imperious Lex. On the other hand, I don’t know if Russel is a good fit for a monthly ongoing comic in the mainline. His type of satire is hilarious, but I don’t see it connecting with the main superhero audience who are just here to see their heroes punch evildoers and mope about nameless civies getting slaughtered by Doomsday that week.

I really would love to see Russel do some Blue & Red work or a miniseries though.
    Read his Red Sonja if you want a good idea of that. There's some of that humor, but it's still very much a solid dramatic book. Probably my favorite run on her since Dynamite got the license.

I’m glad there will be a new voice behind Superman so I’ll definitely be giving this a chance.

This quote sounds like he truly gets Superman:

My North Star when writing Superman, the thing that I always try to remember, is that his powers are not the point. They should serve to illustrate how utterly selfless and incorruptible he is. Superman is the figure of absolute power who wields it with absolute compassion and humility. He’s the man with the power to conquer the universe who would lay down his life for the least of us.

Not a fan of the story focusing so much on Jon (especially teenage Jon who is even worse than younger Jon). Plus Hester’s art isn’t going to build any excitement for this story. He was fine for the street level characters in the 90s and early 2000s but it doesn’t fit with the grand scale that Superman books should be dealing in. Plus his style probably won’t generate buzz with casual readers. Thankfully he’s only on for a couple of issues.
    Last edited by Robotman; 12-17-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

My North Star when writing Superman, the thing that I always try to remember, is that his powers are not the point. They should serve to illustrate how utterly selfless and incorruptible he is. Superman is the figure of absolute power who wields it with absolute compassion and humility. He’s the man with the power to conquer the universe who would lay down his life for the least of us.
    I don't to sound like a killjoy, but aren't those the same, trite words any Superman writer uses when approaching the super-titles? Is there ONE writer who hasn't said that Superman is incorruptible and humble and Superman The Movie is inspirational and the greatest movie ever made and - in recent times - that Jon is a great, great, great, great, great character?

I mean, it's not that I have anything against PKJ and I am actually interested in his Future State books, and I also realize that this is just PR, but - just for once - could anyone actually say something interesting about the character while approaching it, possibly without EVER using the words "hope", "inspiration", "humility", "compassion" and - maybemaybemaybe - "Jon"?
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, it's really interesting news overall but there's nothing that actually intrigues me yet. This is all going to just sound average to me until future state can come around and shape an opinion. I think it's better to roll with this status quo than go back to the basic song and dance even if I was quite fine with Waid coming along and being part of that.

If I'm honest I'm really just a little disappointed with one writer having both books, so saying "Clark is a good man in a bad world regardless of his powers" and then going on about teen Jon and the wacky new story prompts has me a bit jaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Plus Hester’s art isn’t going to build any excitement for this story. He was fine for the street level characters in the 90s and early 2000s but it doesn’t fit with the grand scale that Superman books should be dealing in. Plus his style probably won’t generate buzz with casual readers. Thankfully he’s only on for a couple of issues.
    Hester should stick around while Godlewski will be temporary
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I don't to sound like a killjoy, but aren't those the same, trite words any Superman writer uses when approaching the super-titles? Is there ONE writer who hasn't said that Superman is incorruptible and humble and Superman The Movie is inspirational and the greatest movie ever made and - in recent times - that Jon is a great, great, great, great, great character?

I mean, it's not that I have anything against PKJ and I am actually interested in his Future State books, and I also realize that this is just PR, but - just for once - could anyone actually say something interesting about the character while approaching it, possibly without EVER using the words "hope", "inspiration", "humility", "compassion" and - maybemaybemaybe - "Jon"?
    Agreed. At this point I wouldn't mind if we got a new writer who said that he hates Superman. Maybe he'd at least do something new instead of repeating same story beats that lose their impact every time they are used.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Agreed. At this point I wouldn't mind if we got a new writer who said that he hates Superman. Maybe he'd at least do something new instead of repeating same story beats that lose their impact every time they are used.
    No way. I see that happening now with Aaron and Thor. I do not want that to happen to Superman.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Anything else would be risky.Superman would be identifiying with something whatever that it maybe.Superman is made out to be this moderate figure (sometimes in a bad way,when the guy's reasoning for doing something is based on people's feelings about him).They don't want superman to say,"superman is this and this,doing so and so because of this reason or that reason" even in an allegorical way.The definition is required for telling actual stories.In the absense of it,They have latched on to fluff moments like clark with kents or morrison's felicity regan moment or rescuing cats from trees.Now,every nuance of that superman will reduced to ashes and only hope,compassion,humility..etc would be all that is left. This way they can just hide behind abstract concepts and emotions.The books don't have to say anything pr have actual stories.Have some fluff moments with superman,some "dramatic" status quo shift and just that.Nobody gives a damn about quality of stories.They just want particular status quos or elements from it.Myself included.They can keep giving monologues of superman=hope and not do actual story telling as long as that's the case.Unintended Aftermath of donner superman.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-17-2020 at 08:00 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Spectacular Member

I didn't like Morrison's Action Comics run but to his credit, he didn't talk like that and came in with a really original (well technically retro but original to this era) spin on the character.

I agree that PKJ's interview wasn't exactly totally exciting. But it's kind of what you have to say I suppose as others have pointed out.

I was interested by the idea of Waid FINALLY getting his hands on Superman. Waid may be past his prime but his fantastic run on Daredevil was just a few years ago. I figure he may have one more great run in him, and if it was going to be on any character, one assumes it would be Superman.

I haven't read any of PKJ's work, so I am in no position to judge, but it's startling to see DC really go all in on the lesser known creators. It may lead to some excellent stories, the big 2 have really relied on the same 10 or so creators for years so some new blood is definitely called for and a reason to be intrigued, but until the stories actually come out, it's hard to be that excited about some of these announcements.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Read his Red Sonja if you want a good idea of that. There's some of that humor, but it's still very much a solid dramatic book. Probably my favorite run on her since Dynamite got the license.
    Has anyone read his Second Coming? I read a couple issues of the first volume, pretty good stuff (and def funny). I guess the second volume tells the origin story of the hero, mirroring that of Superman.

I was debating whether I’d stay with the books once Bendis is gone. I like that his work won’t be washed away and will be built upon. That’s the most encouraging thing I read.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Hah, he might but who’s to say what he did would be any better?

On one hand those are important parts of who Superman is, and PKJ is citing them to show that he “gets” the character. On the other hand yes, they’re also cliches that have been pretty thoroughly beaten to death via repetitive and underwhelming usage. I think he’s got a good handle on who Superman is, and his ideas for Superman in Future State certainly look ambitious, Superman fighting through Warworld to Mongul, Superman ruling over his Dynasty far in the future, but it is a red flag that he’s talking about “new characters”.

C’mon isn’t anyone out there wanting to tell a story with Superman’s classic Rogues or characters? When people take on Batman yes they create OCs and tell Joker stories, but they also want to use classic Batman Rogues. If you want to leave a legacy on Superman, you’d be far better off telling a killer Metallo or Parasite story, because that would be more done with them then they’ve ever had.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I think the new cast is for jon kent superman.I been wanting that for ages.Clark will have his old cast jimmy,lois,perry,bibbo,maggie..etc.Since,the focus seems to be on jon's new life.There would need to be a new cast and an entirely new setting.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    his ideas for Superman in Future State certainly look ambitious, Superman fighting through Warworld to Mongul, Superman ruling over his Dynasty far in the future, but it is a red flag that he’s talking about “new characters”..
    Sure, OK, nothing to argue about that - but his ideas are more or less in line with other Future State works. That is, a brand new - but temporary - version of the characters.
    But what he has said about the regular series actually sounds pretty underwhelming in comparison to Future State - I mean, isn't it something we haven't heard millions of times at this point? Including Jon, who keeps conditioning the stories, no one actually knows what to do with him and apparently isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I mean, what's really interesting about Future State is the Gladiator/Mad Max/John Carter/King Arthur part. I really doubt that anyone really cares about Superman as a symbol of hope, humility and... Stuff that writers keep repeating about him...
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Sure, OK, nothing to argue about that - but his ideas are more or less in line with other Future State works. That is, a brand new - but temporary - version of the characters.
    But what he has said about the regular series actually sounds pretty underwhelming in comparison to Future State - I mean, isn't it something we haven't heard millions of times at this point? Including Jon, who keeps conditioning the stories, no one actually knows what to do with him and apparently isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I mean, what's really interesting about Future State is the Gladiator/Mad Max/John Carter/King Arthur part. I really doubt that anyone really cares about Superman as a symbol of hope, humility and... Stuff that writers keep repeating about him...
    We only really know the set up, we don’t know what the long term plan is. And there is a long term plan given Janin is already working on something for Superman down the line that is being hyped as a major milestone turning point. And you only need to take a look at Flash or Titans in Future State to see that not everyone has interesting ideas on what to do with characters lol. I dunno I’d rather give PKJ the benefit of the doubt and hope for the best. We won’t have to wait long to see whether he’s good or not since his first Superman stuff is next month.