Page 129 of 376 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139179229 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 5626
    Incredible Member

Who do we think will be Clark's supporting cast in space? I'm uncertain whether I think he'll be joined by Thao-La and the other 2 refugees to liberate Warworld or not. On the one hand, they (okay, Thao-La), seem like pretty important characters and there doesn't seem to be any place for them in Son of Kal-El, plus Clark is supposed to "leave with the Kryptonians" according to Jon. On the other hand, I don't know if Clark would be willing to risk them like that, with how obviously affected he's at the idea of Kryptonians having been enslaved by Mongul, and Thao-La at least doesn't seem to be in any emotional state to decide to go back to Warworld.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Jon would have bibbo and the gang as cast.supes would have an authority member.Thats superman's team now ground up.He made it.He might build his family of war bound in the arena.The guy that punched clark and broke his fist and has a hole in his head certainly... has spirit.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Who do we think will be Clark's supporting cast in space? I'm uncertain whether I think he'll be joined by Thao-La and the other 2 refugees to liberate Warworld or not. On the one hand, they (okay, Thao-La), seem like pretty important characters and there doesn't seem to be any place for them in Son of Kal-El, plus Clark is supposed to "leave with the Kryptonians" according to Jon. On the other hand, I don't know if Clark would be willing to risk them like that, with how obviously affected he's at the idea of Kryptonians having been enslaved by Mongul, and Thao-La at least doesn't seem to be in any emotional state to decide to go back to Warworld.
    It sounds like one of the Authority team members will be going with Clark into space, if that’s meant to be a tie-in to PKJ Action the one of the team will be going with. Would be funny if Manchester Black went but that’s unlikely. Natasha Irons would be an obvious choice, so either her or one of the OCs (OMAC, Lightray) feels like they’ll be going with him if it all connects. Otherwise I’m sure some of the Phalosians(?) from Warworld will have roles to play in what’s to come.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

When was the last time someone said that they didn't like certain modern run?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    That's all well and good, but the question I always ask is what about those stories required Jon to be an adult? But I have no interest in re-litigating a topic that's been done to death.
    Not 100% sure if you're serious or not, but both those story arcs do in fact have aspects about that them explicitly require that Jon be on the cusp of super-manhood. If fact, they're not the same stories without him being at least 17 like he is now.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    When was the last time someone said that they didn't like certain modern run?
    Nobody openly disparages their fellow writers, especially since the editors you’ll be working with often were also working on the runs before you. The team on The Legend of WW got kicked out after the artist was stupid enough to disparage the team working on Odyssey of the Amazons since that told a story they were hoping to tell.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nobody openly disparages their fellow writers, especially since the editors you’ll be working with often were also working on the runs before you. The team on The Legend of WW got kicked out after the artist was stupid enough to disparage the team working on Odyssey of the Amazons since that told a story they were hoping to tell.
    Wasn't just Odyssey of the Amazons, they also complained publicly about Wonder Woman: Earth One.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Wasn't just Odyssey of the Amazons, they also complained publicly about Wonder Woman: Earth One.
    Don’t remember that but am not surprised. The husband was the culprit I’m guessing? He seemed really dumb for airing his complaints on social media like that, shame it killed any chances of sequels because LoWW was very good I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Not 100% sure if you're serious or not, but both those story arcs do in fact have aspects about that them explicitly require that Jon be on the cusp of super-manhood. If fact, they're not the same stories without him being at least 17 like he is now.
    But no one asked for these stories. There was zero demand for them. Since I've been boycotting the books and thus haven't read them, I am very unqualified to speak on their behalf, but based on what I've read here and other places, the Superman story is in a similar vein to that one story where Clark and Jon visit the alien planet that choose their own extinction, and that story worked because Jon was a kid and not a young adult, and the AC story is borrowing from a part of Bendis' LOSH that never existed so nothing is actually being referenced and is just a poor retcon to justify shunting Superman off to space and forcing Jon in a direction that, again, no one asked for. Remove that element from AC and nothing about the story requires Jon to be aged up in order to tell it.

Jon as a kid would've enhanced these stories because he would be a genuinely new and unique and never before seen element that would've made these stories stand out. Instead, all we get is people like me complaining and AC, the one book that deserves to top the monthly charts, is at the bottom and it's its own damn fault.

But no one asked for these stories. There was zero demand for them.
    That has nothing to do with what I was addressing.

Since I've been boycotting the books and thus haven't read them, I am very unqualified to speak on their behalf, but based on what I've read here and other places, the Superman story is in a similar vein to that one story where Clark and Jon visit the alien planet that choose their own extinction, and that story worked because Jon was a kid and not a young adult
    The following isn't meant with any disrespect to you personally.

Once again, I don't know if you're being serious. That's like saying every single story where Superman punches a really strong guy who can punch him back is like fighting Doomsday. Either you genuinely haven't read the full arc, or this is a case of some very real willful ignorance.

I'll keep this a succinct as possible so as not to go on a long diatribe: the story is about Clark forming a rebuttal to Jon saying that he's not ready to be Superman yet. That story thus requires Jon to be of age to, well, be a MAN. Quite literally the whole arc is about the dynamic of succession between a father and son (as paralleled by the former alien king and his current son), and the toxicity of turning that line of succession into a competition between said father and son (as contrasted by Clark and Jon). Once again, the very real idea of Jon taking over the title NOW must be in place for this story to function at all, thus saying "well, why couldn't he have just been 10 for this" is beyond a head scratcher of a comment to make.

This is not subtext. This is not "reading too much into it". This plane as day if-you-read-you'll-very-obviously-see-it bold print text. It's very straightforward.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

But why does Jon have to be Superman? Like I said, I literally have not read these stories because I'm boycotting them, but the story could've very easily been about about Jon growing up into his own person and choosing his own path and not about Jon becoming Superman like it's some sort of inevitability.

But why does Jon have to be Superman?
    You're moving the goal post of the question and this conversation. I gave you the answer to your question already.

but the story could've very easily been about about Jon growing up into his own person and choosing his own path and not about Jon becoming Superman like it's some sort of inevitability.
    Any story could've "easily been" any other story. This is not a defense, and not an option in this case because that would then impede the singular story that these creators and this company WANT TO tell. It just so happens that, unfortunately, you're not interested in that particular story, but it doesn't invalidate it.

For all you or I know, Jon was always created to one day be Superman in some way shape or form. There's been no alternatives presented for the character since his creation. In every single possible future they've written for the character he's always the next Superman. So once again, it's a bit of a head scratcher when some fans like yourself go "whaaaat? He wants to be Superman??" It's like, yeah, obviously. That's been the point of the last 6 years of his existence. As a contrast, Damian is presented as growing up to be multiple things (Robin forever, Batman 666, the new Head of The Demon, and the Legion's "baby Hitler"). But there's not one single instance where Jon isn't Superman when he's older because DC's pretty clear on their intent.

You're moving the goal post of the question and this conversation. I gave you the answer to your question already.

Any story could've "easily been" any other story. This is not a defense, and not an option in this case because that would then impede the singular story that these creators and this company WANT TO tell. It just so happens that, unfortunately, you're not interested in that particular story, but it doesn't invalidate it.

For all you or I know, Jon was always created to one day be Superman in some way shape or form. There's been no alternatives presented for the character since his creation. In every single possible future they've written for the character he's always the next Superman. So once again, it's a bit of a head scratcher when some fans like yourself go "whaaaat? He wants to be Superman??" It's like, yeah, obviously. That's been the point of the last 6 years of his existence. As a contrast, Damian is presented as growing up to be multiple things (Robin forever, Batman 666, the new Head of The Demon, and the Legion's "baby Hitler"). But there's not one single instance where Jon isn't Superman when he's older because DC's pretty clear on their intent.
    Like you said, and I've said elsewhere, I'm just not interested in DC's current direction for Jon. For the first two years of his existence, I was all in and genuinely excited for what DC had in store for Jon, but apparently what they had in store was seemingly in direct contradiction to what made me and so many others get in invested in Jon in the first place. For me that's the real head-scratcher.

Also, for me personally, I don't like being told and expected to be something simply because one of my parent's is that thing. My dad is a farmer but at no point was I ever expected to take his place. If I ever were to become a farmer, it would be because I had lived my life and explored and experimented with different life paths and decided on being a farmer and not at all because that is what my father was, so Jon being told he has to be Superman when he's had no time to be his own person both in and out of universe just rubs me the wrong the way. If he became Superman after 20 years, I'd be OK with that because we had 20 years of stories of Jon being himself. Instead, he's reached his logical endpoint in only half a decade and I see no future for that direction. It's like trying to wring water from a rock.

Like you said, and I've said elsewhere, I'm just not interested in DC's current direction for Jon.
    Genuinely sorry to hear that. I take no pleasure in seeing even tempered and respectful fans not enjoying something they used to while I'm enjoying something very much. It's a real bummer, and I've been there before to some degree (aspects of Superman media today has me there to an extent honestly). But since I love the idea of Superman I, generally speaking, try to find something to latch onto. If that's not something you have within you right now, that's fine (no need to explain in either direction). I hope you find a character that'll give you the same sort of joy I'm having with Jon and the Superman line right now.

You have a good one, and keep your head up.

Genuinely sorry to hear that. I take no pleasure in seeing even tempered and respectful fans not enjoying something they used to while I'm enjoying something very much. It's a real bummer, and I've been there before to some degree (aspects of Superman media today has me there to an extent honestly). But since I love the idea of Superman I, generally speaking, try to find something to latch onto. If that's not something you have within you right now, that's fine (no need to explain in either direction). I hope you find a character that'll give you the same sort of joy I'm having with Jon and the Superman line right now.

You have a good one, and keep your head up.
    I genuinely appreciate that, I really do.