Page 162 of 376 FirstFirst ... 62112152158159160161162163164165166172212262 ... LastLast
Results 2,416 to 2,430 of 5626

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Okay I will admit that as much as I like this run, it did feel a bit weird to see the Authority already ready to go. I'm okay with it because I don't need to see a team building since that what the miniseries is for and don't need a repeat but its weird since I feel maybe there should have been some kind of time gap.
    Technically there is. Inbetween Clark talking with Bruce and when he shows up to see Lois, the Batman/Superman & The Authority one shot happens.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Technically there is. Inbetween Clark talking with Bruce and when he shows up to see Lois, the Batman/Superman & The Authority one shot happens.
    Oh yeah....never mind then. I revoke my objection.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Thoughts on the issue:
    • Lois is not worried at all about Thao-La hurting Jon. I’m assuming that’s to further emphasize “both of Jon’s parents have absolute faith in him, his abilities and powers”, but it still comes across as weird.
    • Thao-La is winning the brawl comfortably.
    • Is it just me, or does Clark’s “She needs? She’s not the only one, I think” comes across as him vaguely admonishing Lois for not thinking about Jon? Like, I would normally assume he means the rest of the Phaelosians also need help (which also makes sense considering how focused Clark has been on that), but the panel specifically shows Jon fighting Thao-La.
    • I love the sense of power emanating from that image of Clark catching Thao-La’s punch, of course immediately subverted to show Clark is not actually a match for Thao-La (anymore?). Also, Jon’s fearful face in that panel is pretty great, since he’s constantly thinking through this arc “my father is going to die”.
    • We’ve got Thao-La breaking her own chains.
    • I like the implication here that Mongul never actually intended to kill the rest of the Phaelosians. Probably a waste of resources in his mind.
    • Sampere draws the hell out of those “the Orphan Box is torturing Thao-La/Clark” panels.
    • Was Thao-La (and the Warzoon before her) constantly seeing Mongul during her fight, or was that just activated because Mongul was overloading the Orphan Box and trying to kill her? Or is it just some special link between Clark and this blue Source energy that allowed him to do that?
    • I love these minions that PKJ and Sampere have given Mongul. They just look so visually distinct, intriguing, cool.
    • Mongul reinforcing that Clark hasn’t actually met him yet.
    • Mongul is in “All according to keikaku” mode. He’s also not half as composed as he believes he is, trying to pretend he’s not affected by the Orphan Box projection coming towards him but then instinctively shielding himself from the explosion anyway.
    • Clark destroying this mysterious power source with contempt is a good capstone to the previous story thread of the rest of the world almost killing each other for a similar one (even if the situations are very different).
    • Clark’s eulogy towards the unknown Phaelosians is as touching and fitting as it could possibly be.
    • I like how the friendly dialogue between Clark and the League can’t overshadow how hostile they come off due to how the art frames them.
    • I’d have preferred this scene with an acknowledgement from Clark that things are always messy, so waiting for a time when they aren’t is silly.
    • Clark shaking hands with Black Adam asking him to take care of their home makes sense having read the first few issues of Bendis’ JL, but for someone who hasn’t it probably comes off as weird.
    • And that’s as good as I could have possibly expected a Superman/Batman conversation in this situation (Clark getting kicked off the League) for this purpose (setting up a crossover) could possibly be.
    • Like that Jon went to visit Thao-La, considering how he acted towards her throughout this arc.
    • Jon comes off as a bit too hostile against Batman (who is, after all, basically his uncle and the father of his best and maybe only friend) here. His hostility towards the League in general makes perfect sense, though.
    • I like how between Black Canary and Ray (Palmer, I assume), this issue sets up Lois as constantly communicating with the superhero community. Also, her first and last scenes in this arc both start with her writing, so I wonder what exactly she’s writing here.
    • As cliché as this is, Sampere draws the hell out of the “Clark and Lois flying through the sky in a romantic moment” scene.
    • Mile-high club, indeed.
    • Fitting that Natasha says the catchphrase.
    • More generally, while I liked Kara's inclusion in this arc, I wish we had something with her in this issue. I understand why she doesn't get a personal goodbye, but it would have been good to have Clark say he did (considering they address that Krypto got a goodbye too), and she barely participates in the fight and says nothing during the eulogy.
    • Even more generally, Lucas has been a fantastic colorist and a fantastic fit for both Sampere as an artist and PKJ as a writer. The book would be much poorer without him.

Overall, a good end to a fantastic arc. Will re-read through every issue of the Warworld Rising arc eventually to give further thoughts.

As for the back-up, it’s a significant step-up from the previous “Tales of Metropolis” arc, but way too on-the-nose.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I love how Sampere draws Mongul so nonchalantly eminating power from his throne. Great stuff. The juxtaposition of color palette between Clark and the JL in the rain and Jon looking at Thao-La... simply awesome. Still disappointing that Sampere is leaving, but Lucas staying on is a huge plus for sure.

Jon saying "Damian's creepy Dad..." flippin' hilarious
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Yeah I do wish we had gotten a goodbye between Kal and Kara, that was my one disappointment with the issue.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...154169347?s=21

Tease of the language he’s building for the Warzoons?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

So then when is this going to take place in Action Comics?

I figured this was going to be in the issue where Clark leaves, we clearly just saw that. So then does this mean that PKJ will be doing flashbacks in his run after Clark leaves for Warworld? I guess then that's what he was talking about when he said that Clark being a father would still play a major role in his run going forward.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    So then when is this going to take place in Action Comics?

I figured this was going to be in the issue where Clark leaves, we clearly just saw that. So then does this mean that PKJ will be doing flashbacks in his run after Clark leaves for Warworld? I guess then that's what he was talking about when he said that Clark being a father would still play a major role in his run going forward.

Well, the farm is behind them, so it can't be set in the present. Either it's for the Batman/Superman & the Authority crossover or it's a flashback. Or maybe a dream/nightmare.

I hope the "Clark as a father" theme isn't continued through flashbacks, though. A few of them are fine, but I don't want this to focus too much on Jon when he already has his own solo book.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Well, the farm is behind them, so it can't be set in the present. Either it's for the Batman/Superman & the Authority crossover or it's a flashback. Or maybe a dream/nightmare.

I hope the "Clark as a father" theme isn't continued through flashbacks, though. A few of them are fine, but I don't want this to focus too much on Jon when he already has his own solo book.
    I don't think Sempere is on B/S&TA. Plus the tag he used when he posted this was Action Comics.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

Any guesses on who is the hooded mysterious benefactor of Mongul?

Is it Hank Henshaw the Cyborg Superman? Or is it Circe?

Anyways, I still can't wrap my head around how this issue is connected with Morrison issues,
    the team is ready to go, implying this issue is after the Authority series,
    but the costume and the hair of Superman is different from the Authority.
    Just gonna pretend the costume is the same I guess.

Hope it’s not Henshaw. Circe would be an interesting choice but not likely I think. Maybe it’s Lex? He was on the big cover spread but hasn’t been involved much yet. He’ll be meeting Jon in SOKE but perhaps he’s also trying to get Clark killed by Mongul.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Hope it's not another "Mr. Oz" type of character.

Incredible Member

Henshaw is a good suspect. His connection to the previous Mongul, PKJ's constant comparisons with Death & Return of Superman, his appearence in the Annual wearing a similar (but not the same) outfit as the hooded figure, even his claims to be a "nameless scavenger" and having "no right to wear iron" would come off as ironic commentary on his attempted theft of a dead man's identity and legacy and his nature as a cyborg. The hooded figure has to be someone we know (otherwise why keep so much secrecy as to their appearence, not even a hint of their faces), and Henshaw is the one that hits the most boxes.

But I don't think he is. His speechs sounds very different, a far older being willing to at least pass themselves off as humble and weak (despite clearly being capable of killing several of Mongul's children) with knowledge of the deep secrets of Warworld, the Genesis fragment, possibly even the sleeping God, something that just doesn't strike me as "Cyborg Superman". Maybe some Fourth World character (remember Morrison reminded PKJ of certain elements of Kirby's Fourth World when they were talking about the plans for Action Comics).

Maybe the Cleric from the Exile run or a character similar to that who would have a connection to the Phalosians and Krypton? The hood seems to indicate it's someone we have met before, so I think Hensaw is probably the safer bet given the WarWorld and Mongul connections though.

It may end up being someone trying to help the Phalosians though, he basically has ensured that this Mongul is the last Mongul and was instrumental in getting Clark to come to WarWorld. It could be a set up, so Hensaw would not fit that motivation.