Page 17 of 376 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    At this point I start wondering: where are all the superstars?
    I mean, every book announced so far - including, but not limited to Superman books - is made by relatively secondary writers/artists. With two big exceptions - Bendis on JL and Reis on Bats/Supes.
    Where are all the big names? I mean, the only one busy with something is Tom King as far as I remember. But without taking the writers into account, where are Manapul and all the other ones?
    Looking for jobs elsewhere? I hate to be pessimistic but DC's future in comics is a little bleak.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Looking for jobs elsewhere? I hate to be pessimistic but DC's future in comics is a little bleak.
    Personally speaking it's not that I necessarily NEED superstars. All the Tom Kings and Scott Snyders and Geoff Johnses were once nobodies. Maybe PKJ will be the next Morrison. Also: my favorite Superman run ever was the Loeb/Kelly one, and none of those authors was really an A-lister when they made it.
    However, I actually find it curious that there are so few BIG announcements regarding huge names and basically no real relaunch (most of these series sound like a continuation from before Death Metal), so I am actually wondering whether it is really tied to what is happening with the cuts and firing at AT&T.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

I mean, every book announced so far - including, but not limited to Superman books - is made by relatively secondary writers/artists. With two big exceptions - Bendis on JL and Reis on Bats/Supes.
    Where are all the big names? I mean, the only one busy with something is Tom King as far as I remember. But without taking the writers into account, where are Manapul and all the other ones?
    The sad truth is I doubt at this point Warner will open the collective wallet for DC. Warner has slashed their comic book division to the bone in recent months. It is likely nay probable that DC Comics simply can't afford to bring in any other big names.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-17-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Maybe Manapul is finally finishing Aquaman Earth One? He’s been working on that forever. Snyder’s focusing on creator owned stuff as seemingly is Johns. Waid’s got Humanoids and is probably doing a Superman BL project. Morrison is done with Big 2 comics, tv/movie work and creator owned stuff is his focus.

It took a while but this really is a brand new era for DC. The old guard superstars are done and either moving on or being shown the door. Also DC doesn’t give out superstar contracts anymore, that’s over with.

BANNED

So much time preparing it, it seems that they have already decided to take the step and give the rat boy the title of superman. So many problems with the rights of Superman that they are desperate to replace him with a character that is totally from DC, if the rat boy worked we will have to forget about Clark, because he will become the figure that inspires the hero and that appears once every 10 years

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I think the direction the Superman books are going are pretty close to the FS books.

I think the big event will set up Superman leaving earth and having adventures in space with Jon taking over the role of Superman on earth.

From what we've seen on the new direction from yesterday's solicits and PKJ's interview it would seem that way. He mentioned Clark having a whole new supporting cast in space I believe. Jon looks like he is in training to be the new Supes as well.

So Clark will still star in his own book, probably AC, but Jon will essentially be the Superman of earth.

Kind of like Hal is GL but he hasn't been on earth in years. It sucks because even though well get stories of Clark I dont think hell be that connected to the larger DCU.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Personally speaking it's not that I necessarily NEED superstars. All the Tom Kings and Scott Snyders and Geoff Johnses were once nobodies. Maybe PKJ will be the next Morrison. Also: my favorite Superman run ever was the Loeb/Kelly one, and none of those authors was really an A-lister when they made it.
    However, I actually find it curious that there are so few BIG announcements regarding huge names and basically no real relaunch (most of these series sound like a continuation from before Death Metal), so I am actually wondering whether it is really tied to what is happening with the cuts and firing at AT&T.
    Well I think that when you put Bendis on Superman with big marketing push and result is stale sales AND the common explanation here is that Superman sells what he sells and big writer isn't going to change it... Then isn't it natural that some higher up would think that hiring big names is a waste of money?

Anyway, big yikes to that comment about there being two ongoings. It is weird honestly, I love Super Sons, but Jon without Damian just doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WallyWestFlash View Post
    I think the direction the Superman books are going are pretty close to the FS books.

I think the big event will set up Superman leaving earth and having adventures in space with Jon taking over the role of Superman on earth.

From what we've seen on the new direction from yesterday's solicits and PKJ's interview it would seem that way. He mentioned Clark having a whole new supporting cast in space I believe. Jon looks like he is in training to be the new Supes as well.

So Clark will still star in his own book, probably AC, but Jon will essentially be the Superman of earth.

Kind of like Hal is GL but he hasn't been on earth in years. It sucks because even though well get stories of Clark I dont think hell be that connected to the larger DCU.

If true, this won't work. Jon hasn't proven he can carry a book. With the sample size of Legion, there's more evidence right now leaning toward he can't, in fact. Say what we will about Superman's sales, but he at least has a built in guaranteed core audience. It won't go well if they try and peddle Jon as the "new" Superman of Earth. Even though Superman will still be around, probably still going by Superman, his fans won't care. We've seen this before. He won't be in his home setting so fans won't be happy. Space adventures are good, but not when they're an excuse to get Superman to leave in an extended manner so someone else can do his Earth job. Especially if he's separated from Lois, like New Krypton. I mean lord, do you want the guy married or not? If this is what they choose to do, I would have to believe they haven't paid nearly enough attention to Superman's trends, because they'll be making similar mistakes already made not really all that long ago. New Krypton got so bad it forced a clunky reset. The same will likely happen here in such a direction. I mean in this situation sure, Superman would at least be keeping one book. But he has two. Trying to market one of them for someone else has never gone over well.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-17-2020 at 03:16 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    March's Superman #29 variant cover:

I love Timms but I really dislike that Jon takes center stage and Lois is so far off to the side. If Jon really is there in the center, his mother should absolutely be on the other shoulder. I can't stress enough that this is starting to look worse for Lois getting sidelined or just treated as Jon's delivery method and occasionally his mom. I'm exaggerating, but she almost feels like an afterthought so far.

But hey, living kents! Suck it, Dead Kent Society.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Man I hope this is foreshadowing that all the characters shown will have roles to play. Lex being involved is expected, but honestly it’s been a long time since we’ve seen Superman and Brainiac go at it in Superman’s solo. Would love a new Brainiac story to recommend besides Johns Brainiac arc.

Also as the resident Bendis defender, I’m very happy to see Red Cloud there lol, I like her!

Brainiac getting prominence alongside Lex, both of which DC annoyingly make Justice League threats these days, is great to see. I miss when they bother to remember they're SUPERMAN villains, so that makes me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Superman really needs a bigger family. Not even PG is there. I would like for Kenan, Power Girl to be here. Add new ones like Midnighter so also the Super books have some LGBT representation. I would bring back Baka from the Pak run too.
    I was hoping to see Kenan and PG there as well. Kind of bummed they're not. Really annoyed Lois is further than Jimmy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    A fan on twitter: "What if I'm excited about your Superman run, but am not a fan of Jon Kent or all the focus on him?"

Phillip Kennedy Johnson: "Oh man. I wish I could answer that completely, but you’ll be in good shape. Keep in mind there are *two* Superman titles."

Source: https://twitter.com/PhillipKJohnson/...25262653321227
    I love Jon, adult or child. He's great. This sucks to hear. I want to read Clark's adventures. Yeah, I want to read Jon's too, but I was hoping for another book, not cannibalizing one of Clark's. I strongly doubt they'd do that to Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Not thrilled with that answer. Jon shouldn't be the focus of either Superman book. Action and Superman should be his. Give Jon a new solo if they want him to essentially have one.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Brainiac getting prominence alongside Lex, both of which DC annoyingly make Justice League threats these days, is great to see. I miss when they bother to remember they're SUPERMAN villains, so that makes me happy.
    I take being treated as a Justice League-level threat as a compliment. I feel the same for Circe.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    But hey, living kents! Suck it, Dead Kent Society.
    Red Cloud is threateningly lurking behind them.

At the very least Lois is in the picture. PG and Kenan? Nowhere to be found and the Kent's work better dead

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's not right but I've accepted in some sense that Lois isn't such a focus these days

In fairness, I haven't really been into the Bendis comics. I dropped Action with Romita stuff, I guess that was a bit after Event Leviathan. Superman, I dropped at 22.

Johnson... I've never picked up lol. Captain America for the troops was kind of weird in preview. But I'm still excited because he's essentially brand new to the character and I have no negative qualities in mind.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Been tracking down stuff in Annuals or anthologies that Johnson has done that I didn’t know he did. So far I’m liking what I’m reading.

Also it seems like Steel being so prominent isn’t a coincidence: https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...282340353?s=21

I hope John Henry Irons gets some love, it’s been too long since he got to play a role in the Superbooks.

I'll be pretty unhappy if Clark is in space for a long time.
    I want Clark with Lois, with their son, in Metropolis, the JL, etc.
    They've kept Jon away from his parents all this time in the future, and now that he's back they'll send Clark away?
    They should keep Clark on Earth and give fans back the kid Jon that we want. Super Sons is really popular and they've wasting all that potential.