Page 174 of 376 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224274 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 5626
    Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

PKJ sure likes his throne room scenes

That Federici cover looks incredible, can’t wait to see the full thing.

Out tomorrow!

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

While I have been following what PKJ is doing I haven't actually read any of his Superman issues, I'm waiting for trades. So Batman/Superman Authority special was the first issue that I actually read. And I liked it. Bunch of random thoughts and spoilers incoming.

spoilers:
    Clark's hair is not addressed here at all so I guess that will be ignored entirely going forward.
    I like that art shift was used to explain that Shadow Earth has different laws of physics and so on.
    Shadow Empire looks like a universe where Bruce accepted Ra's offer and became his heir. Also loved the bit about them being Talia's children so better release them or she'll never stop coming for them. And it looks like they might return at some point for another storyline?
    Liked that Midnighter delivered bunch of points on why Batman is overrated, but then obviously Batman has couple of cool pages to show that he is still cool. Overall Batman here was fine I guess, did his thing, but at the same time didn't overtake the book.
    Liked character moments between Superman and Batman. Other authority members didn't get much focus, but it didn't feel like anything we got was very different to Morrison's version so thats good.
    Overall, while I liked it and it feels like it is setting things up for the future... it doesn't feel like this book really does anything to connect Authority and Action storylines.
    end of spoilers

Okay I got to be honest about something that confused me in this issue

spoilers:
    I didn’t realize the Dark Multiverse was still a thing. I thought with the death of Batman who Laughs in Death Metal (no I’m not counting Fortnite) that it was just gone. Weird to see it still around and that it’s apparently still a threat.

So I guess we call this the Batman who demon’s? Bat al ghul?
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Incredible Member

Decent on its own, not good as the test run for this team.

spoilers:
    It's a Batman-centric conflict with mostly Batman lines (and Midnighter, but he mostly talks about Batman) which Batman (and Midnighter) solve, the Authority do little other than fight random mooks in a battle that doesn't mean anything other than their survival, Superman was mostly there to say "Trust me, dude" and tell Apollo that killing zombie slaves was off-limits, and ultimately the whole thing felt a bit too meaningless, nothing was really acomplished. If this was supposed to be the showcase for how the Superman and the Authority could work in a mission, then it failed completely.

It wasn't the grand continuity welding between Action and S&tA I know most people wanted, either, but then again I thought the end of S&tA itself already did a fine job at explaining the continuity. Going to no-prize that Clark's just dyeing his hair, then.

As for things I liked... Clark telling Bruce that the Authority are the people he needs because they're the ones who actually answered his call for help, some of the panels for the big Authority vs mooks fight were cool (specially Natasha using her hammer and Clark looking for Tas al Ghul), Tas saying that they'll extend peace to all worlds did a fine job at highlighting how much of a true believer he is, the establishing dialogue at the start between the members of the Authority before Clark and Bruce arrive was enjoyable.
    end of spoilers

Overall, like the House of El Annual before it, or even the "One Who Fell" storyline in Superman, I guess I'm not particularly enjoying PKJ's diversions away from the main storyline.

Really good story, PKJ used all characters well, without going out of his way to show how badass Batman is.

Also, anyone else got the impression this was PKJ's pitch to his Batman book?

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Also, anyone else got the impression this was PKJ's pitch to his Batman book?
    I thought about it as well, but then it sounds like really "out there" idea that wouldn't really fit main Batman line I think.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It felt like a set up for a future Bat-centric event.

Baman: Empire of Shadows coming in Summer 2022 or something like that. lol.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Decent on its own, not good as the test run for this team.

spoilers:
    It's a Batman-centric conflict with mostly Batman lines (and Midnighter, but he mostly talks about Batman) which Batman (and Midnighter) solve, the Authority do little other than fight random mooks in a battle that doesn't mean anything other than their survival, Superman was mostly there to say "Trust me, dude" and tell Apollo that killing zombie slaves was off-limits, and ultimately the whole thing felt a bit too meaningless, nothing was really acomplished. If this was supposed to be the showcase for how the Superman and the Authority could work in a mission, then it failed completely.

It wasn't the grand continuity welding between Action and S&tA I know most people wanted, either, but then again I thought the end of S&tA itself already did a fine job at explaining the continuity. Going to no-prize that Clark's just dyeing his hair, then.

As for things I liked... Clark telling Bruce that the Authority are the people he needs because they're the ones who actually answered his call for help, some of the panels for the big Authority vs mooks fight were cool (specially Natasha using her hammer and Clark looking for Tas al Ghul), Tas saying that they'll extend peace to all worlds did a fine job at highlighting how much of a true believer he is, the establishing dialogue at the start between the members of the Authority before Clark and Bruce arrive was enjoyable.
    end of spoilers

Overall, like the House of El Annual before it, or even the "One Who Fell" storyline in Superman, I guess I'm not particularly enjoying PKJ's diversions away from the main storyline.
    I am glad i didn't waste anything with this one.This book wasn't needed at all.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I enjoyed it as a glimpse of how PKJ will handle the Authority characterizations. He’s got a good handle on Manchester Black, Apollo, Midnighter, and Lightray. Not sure yet about Natasha, Enchantress, or OMAC yet. As stated, Supes & the Authority didn’t do much other than provide cover for Batman and Middy to handle the threat, but they did prevent the army of shadow zombies from going through so they did accomplish something.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This was an utterly inessential cash grab that added nothing of value to Morrison & Janin's original story, nor did it even attempt to clear up the remaining disconnect between the original story's roots as a 5G story. Not that there's much to explain aside from Clark's white hair, though.

I'd skip this entirely if you're mostly interested in Superman & The Authority, as they're only about 25% of the story, but if you want to read about Midnighter coming to realize that Batman might be cooler than he thought and more reheated Death Metal/Tales of the Dark Multiverse leftovers, this is the story for you.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    This was an utterly inessential cash grab that added nothing of value to Morrison & Janin's original story, nor did it even attempt to clear up the remaining disconnect between the original story's roots as a 5G story. Not that there's much to explain aside from Clark's white hair, though.

I'd skip this entirely if you're mostly interested in Superman & The Authority, as they're only about 25% of the story, but if you want to read about Midnighter coming to realize that Batman might be cooler than he thought and more reheated Death Metal/Tales of the Dark Multiverse leftovers, this is the story for you.
    Ugh. I had a feeling this might be the case, but my pre-ordered copy is already in the mail...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Ugh. I had a feeling this might be the case, but my pre-ordered copy is already in the mail...
    I am kinda surprised that the first, the most iconic, and the most venerated superhero cannot get his own continuity right.

I mean Morrison; if not, but closest to the greatest Superman writer there is set up a damned near home run and they whiffed it.

Disclosure: PKJ has said if you want to nitpick you will probably be able to find some mistake to “discount” S&tA from being in continuity, but it is a canon story as far as he is concerned. Action 1036 is apparently where the grey hair gets addressed iirc from his Word Balloon talk.
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-02-2021 at 09:49 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Regardless,i hope manchester black isn't bland or worse becomes another "Superman fangirl number 6 or recent convert to supermanism"(how many family member does he have?).Let the guy be an ******* in clark's face,with only agreement being them wanting change.Muwa!ha!ha!!!

My problem is not some dumb plot point like the hair.If batman solves the problem and superman/the authority punches some random mooks.Then the book is saying"The authority is about fighting for change and to take effective action...well,sorry batman did that for you..ain't he cool?".This issue just made the authority irrelevant.The warworld saga doesn't have huge ramifications with united planets outside the centre of conflict and the warworld itself doesn't change(even the slightest).The authority and warworld saga would be irrelevant as well.Clark has punched aliens and even alien dicatotors.That's not new.Atleast as an allegory have clark be the idea of change.Let the guy bring change if it's just only on another world.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-02-2021 at 11:36 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"