Page 192 of 376 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196202242292 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 5626

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Oh, yes, the whole point of this story, as far as I can see, is showing Superman winning the hearts and minds of the Warworld slave by way of example, so ultimately the real win here would be getting the warzoons to rebel. I just want to see Superman winning some actual fights along the way.
    We’re definitely getting a training arc with Clark so he’ll get to win some fights for sure, solicits even say he’ll be winning some pit fights which I’m excited to see. And the last solicits makes it look like he’s going to get a second chance at Mongul at least. I’m not too worried about him getting a chance to kick ass. Where we’re at now is more or less the equivalent to the Mutant Leader beating the **** out of Batman in DKR, which sets up Batman coming back and kicking his ass later. I see the same setup here between Superman and Mongul.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

PHYSICIAN/PSYCHIATRIST WAKANDA FOREVER!'s Avatar

Cool

That Midnighter. I wonder if Steel getting chained had another meaning for her. Also, can Apollo use red sun solar energy? Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We’re definitely getting a training arc with Clark so he’ll get to win some fights for sure, solicits even say he’ll be winning some pit fights which I’m excited to see. And the last solicits makes it look like he’s going to get a second chance at Mongul at least. I’m not too worried about him getting a chance to kick ass. Where we’re at now is more or less the equivalent to the Mutant Leader beating the **** out of Batman in DKR, which sets up Batman coming back and kicking his ass later. I see the same setup here between Superman and Mongul.
    Yeah it’s not about whether or not Clark will beat Mongul, I think it’s how and whether or not he can save the Authority. Because Superman will “win pit fights”, but does that mean he’s going to have to kill some people or is it solely breaking chains?

Not to mention his team I can’t say exactly like him right now so can he earn their trust back or is the Authority 100% lost to him.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah it’s not about whether or not Clark will beat Mongul, I think it’s how and whether or not he can save the Authority. Because Superman will “win pit fights”, but does that mean he’s going to have to kill some people or is it solely breaking chains?

Not to mention his team I can’t say exactly like him right now so can he earn their trust back or is the Authority 100% lost to him.
    We have a vague clue of what Midnighter, OMAC, and Steel II will be getting up to, but it’s interesting we don’t know what’s going to happen to Manchester Black, Apollo, and whether or not Enchantress is dead or just imprisoned somewhere.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

This is the best book DC is putting out right now. This arc is going to go down in history as one of the best Superman stories in decades. I'm loving everything about this and I usually don't like depowered Superman stories. This story really works.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Oh, yes, the whole point of this story, as far as I can see, is showing Superman winning the hearts and minds of the Warworld slave by way of example, so ultimately the real win here would be getting the warzoons to rebel. I just want to see Superman winning some actual fights along the way.
    See that kinda thing is what i don't like.i wish they don't make it so that Clark is trying "Win them over".That just making Superman into a savior.I hope,it's more Clark trying to do the right thing.And the people following him being an accident at best.
    I think clark saving the authority would be an L for the team.Why bring together a team if they can't handle themselves?I hope,Manchester ain't going to be following clark's dumb dogma is able to help himself out of the trouble.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-29-2021 at 07:08 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Wow, great issue. The overall feeling of absolute dread on Warwold is captured pretty perfectly, in both dialogue and art. The scene where they slapped chains on OMAC and Steel was particularly grueling. Can almost hear/feel the anguish.

Quote Originally Posted by WAKANDA FOREVER! View Post
    That Midnighter. I wonder if Steel getting chained had another meaning for her. Also, can Apollo use red sun solar energy? Hmmm
    Yeah I had the same thought. The way that panel was framed with her hands in chains cannot be a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Yes, PKJ has to balance the two, Superman doing Superman things and whooping Mongul he becomes the one that was but also the Phaelosians and Warzoons breaking their own chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    My first thought is pit fights in the style of the original Conan the Barbarian with Arnold. Doubt it will have the same level of kills though. May very well be heaped in gore (hopefully so), but it will be interesting to see if Clark kills anyone in the pits. Speaking of, it sure seems like he will have to at least maim some dues pretty badly to win over some of the Phaelosians. They seemed pretty taken aback that he had no chains to show for himself. But them again he's already reaching two of them with his actions thus far and his words.

But yeah, he's def gonna have to win over both the Phaelosians and the Authority. Speaking of, Didn't see (or hear) much of Manchester Black in this issue. It's rare that he's got his mouth shut, although circumstances certainly dictated as such.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

One thing I’ve seen in reviews that I wanted to bring up because it’s something I keep seeing in reviews and it annoys me:

This isn’t the only review to express this sentiment but it sums up the mindset pretty succinctly so I’m using it. I just flat out do not understand this viewpoint at all. Is it residual trauma from Zack Snyder causing most people to have PTSD at the concept of Superman in a darker story? This idea that “Superman is about hope so he should never suffer any setbacks or fail ever” is how we get stories like Injustice where he has no ability to handle failure and thus snaps the first time he encounters it in a major way. Yes this issue was depressing. It’s supposed to be. Superman underestimated the challenge of liberating a world that has spent lifetimes being indoctrinated to worship Mongul, and now he has to come back from failing spectacularly. But it’s still a hopeful story. There’s still hope! That’s what the final page with Khaljo drawing Superman’s s-shield represents! Superman himself maintains there’s still hope even after Midnighter has given up! People have been trained to think of “hope” in a Superman story as “Superman experiences a minor roadblock and effortlessly overcomes it with a speech about how y’all just gotta hope harder and then everyone claps” which is so hollow and cheap.

Ok rant over, this isn’t even the worse review. Worse one I’ve seen was by a guy who either is deliberately misinterpreting everything PKJ writes or is just flat out a moron.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Oh brother!All this talk of "hope" and of "Grim dark" is eye roll worthy..
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Incredible Member

Yeah, I agree lots of people here are overstating the hope stuff. Ywah, it was better done than most Superman stories, but it's not as if it was the most groundbreaking take on the subject of all time. I mean, keeping hope in the middle of a dark situation? That's standard, if well done here.

Guys we saw in this week’s issue. PKJ talks a little bit more about their background here!

Also says he’s looking to bring in some Latino/Hispanic characters but that might have to wait until we get back to Earth.

Been saying for a while they need to make an official Latino/a Superfamily member, all the other major ethnic American groups are represented in the Superfamily except them, and there’s a Latina Supergirl coming.

Again, does Gangbuster not count? Or can Steel be the only token normal?

"Character so rooted in hope" mindset is one of the main reasons why we can't have nice things.

Astonishing Member

The problem is the masses having a myopic interpretation of "hope", how it's presented. The whole point of it is that it usually springs from a dark and depressing setting and it's the actions of a character that inspires it for and in other characters. Yeah it sounds all kinds of corny but if the story is well written it will resonate with readers regardless of how they personally feel about all this "hope" stuff. A light at the end of a dark tunnel is hopeful. A bright a sunshiny day is just that, it's great but many are indifferent to it. The former tends to propel, inspire folks towards something more or better as opposed to being blasé and complacent because of the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Again, does Gangbuster not count? Or can Steel be the only token normal?
    I like Gangbuster but
    1. He’s not really a member of the Superfamily he just operates in Metropolis, same as Black Lightning and Guardian.
    2. He hasn’t even been used all that much, it was great that he finally showed up again in One-Star Squadron but even there he’s mainly being used as a tragic figure who is a shell of a hero
    3. I think having a Latin member with actual powers is what people want

I still say they should make a Latina Supergirl to replace Kara who becomes Superwoman but it looks like that’s not happening.