Page 254 of 376 FirstFirst ... 154204244250251252253254255256257258264304354 ... LastLast
Results 3,796 to 3,810 of 5626

Regarding the abundance of kryptonian survivors or their descents like the phaelosians: Superman and the members of the house of El do not need to be just another bunch of kryptonians, kal in particular could be “The Kryptonian” thanks to an ancestral connection to the god Rao, remember the krypyonian flamebird (thara ak-var) and nightwing (chris kent) from Geoff’s run? They had great imagery and were a nice variation on the theme, they had some fun adventure and felt actually new without breaking the mold.
    Not all descent of krypton need to use their powers the same way or with the same degree of attitude, some could focus on the psionic side with tactile tk and greater intellect, others could be better at energy manipulation and projection. The Els should just be at the very top in all categories, the peak of kryptonian potential blessed by rao itself.
    There still space for kryptonian technologists, sorcerers, psionicists etc.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

But is all of this worth it? Superman being last survivor is very simple idea that works and is easy to grasp and adapt. Sure, you can add him being connected to Rao or having spent more time on Earth or whatever else, but that just makes his backstory more complicated without giving much in return.

For example, Warworld saga could have worked without Phaelosians perfectly fine. I'm pretty sure that Superman would try to free Warworld slaves even if he had no connection to them.

At this juncture there’s no getting rid of Zod or Kara. Can’t go back to the Post Crisis status quo of him being *truly* the Last Son of Krypton, too many high profile adaptions have highlighted other survivors. Kal still occupies a fairly unique state regardless as the only “pure” Kryptonian raised by another culture/race who has no memories of Krypton. He’s Kryptonian by birth but Earthling by upbringing and that’s contrast enough with Kara or Zod to still make him fairly unique imo.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I wonder if the Phaelosians were created to replace the Kandorians as the sort of "lost society of Kryptonians" since the latter were killed off by Rogol Zar in Bendis Man of Steel book.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I wonder if the Phaelosians were created to replace the Kandorians as the sort of "lost society of Kryptonians" since the latter were killed off by Rogol Zar in Bendis Man of Steel book.
    Think it was about wanting a group who were related to Kal’s people, so him going to save them would be a case of someone sharing their heritage coming in rather than a total outsider. Being an offshoot race offered more freedom to define their culture and power set too no doubt. Wonder if anyone will ever do anything with Kal and Zod splitting the Kandorians between each other during Williamson’s Batman/Superman run which brought them back, but left them in stasis.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    ^^^That Steve Beach cover’s beautiful.

I’m ready for a change.
    Son of Kal El’s been disappointingly woke for me; the Warworld stuff has had some good moments I guess. But I shouldn’t have to guess. Superman should always be fun and exciting. So, on to the next run, fingers crossed.

Man that Mike Allred cover is amazing:

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^That Steve Beach cover’s beautiful.

I’m ready for a change.
    Son of Kal El’s been disappointingly woke for me; the Warworld stuff has had some good moments I guess. But I shouldn’t have to guess. Superman should always be fun and exciting. So, on to the next run, fingers crossed.
    Uh you’re misreading that, both PKJ and Taylor are sticking around.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Hard to tell what kind of new direction the series has to tell now, but 'bright and fun' is a good indicator it's not going to be anything deconstructive.

Perkins is drawing part of Kal-El Returns so of all the variants this is the one I think might be showing what’s to come. Lex going after Manchester Black is an interesting idea, the two were both vehement anti-Superman people (albeit for different reasons) and then Black went and joined up with Supes. Wonder how Lex feels about that, maybe he feels he has to punish Manchester for turning heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Perkins is drawing part of Kal-El Returns so of all the variants this is the one I think might be showing what’s to come. Lex going after Manchester Black is an interesting idea, the two were both vehement anti-Superman people (albeit for different reasons) and then Black went and joined up with Supes. Wonder how Lex feels about that, maybe he feels he has to punish Manchester for turning heel.
    Lex using Manchester Black in some scheme that ends up putting the secret ID back in the bottle maybe? Kinda like in Daredevil

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

26 covers! Yeah, lots to look forward to... looking forward to Mike Perkins... got a good laugh from the arm wrestling cover... like the Lois one (lookin good wish short-ish hair)... wonder what the "something" is that Lex stole (literally or figuratively)?

So cool.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Lex using Manchester Black in some scheme that ends up putting the secret ID back in the bottle maybe? Kinda like in Daredevil
    Now that would be great! Make the world forget that Clark Kent is Superman. Only Lex would know the truth.

Interesting that Williamson is involved. Wonder if he’s writing a new Super book that will be launching in Jan? Porter has Conner, can’t see Williamson taking Kenan (though he did give Avery over to Yang to use), so maybe Kara or Steel will get books? He did like using John Henry Irons in various event ties ins and his Batman/Superman run. Surprised not to see Waid in this too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I don’t think that particular genie is going back in the bottle just yet, PKJ prefers Clark being outed, but now that you mention it Black would be an easy way to undo everyone knowing were DC to desire that (he already wiped everyone’s mind before). You could even have him forcibly do it without Clark’s consent and wiping Clark’s memory and character development, in a kind of “I’m a bastard whose making a hard choice because I think this is necessary”. Would be a good way to revert things without totally contradicting how Bendis developed Clark. If they do that however it has to be the end, we go back to the identity being a secret for good (or at least the next 25 years).

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I like how we're getting another 48 page special and only a couple months after the last one in Warworld Apocalypse.

Shows they really are putting emphasis in this run and aren't shirking it off.