Page 258 of 376 FirstFirst ... 158208248254255256257258259260261262268308358 ... LastLast
Results 3,856 to 3,870 of 5626

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Someone here, or in another thread, wrote that they picked up Arena collection and it had tales of Metropolis and Martian Manhunter backups. Hopefully at some point DC will do Superman: Warworld Saga collection (deluxe edition?) and it will skip those stories.
    They included the backups? I'm surprised.

Oh, and I think when I've talked about Mendonca, I meant Federeci. Got the two confused, my bad!

@ Vordan; I agree the saga didn't reach the heights of something like All-Star or Smashes the Klan. Hard for stuff in-continuity to equal stuff that can stand on its own and play by its own rules. But I do agree it's likely on roughly the same level as the canon stuff like Morrison's Action. I think of Morrison's Action as a must-read run, and if we look at PKJ's arc through the lens of developing a long-standing and major rogue, then I think it makes the list.....it's just much further down than stuff like All-Star.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    They included the backups? I'm surprised.

Oh, and I think when I've talked about Mendonca, I meant Federeci. Got the two confused, my bad!

@ Vordan; I agree the saga didn't reach the heights of something like All-Star or Smashes the Klan. Hard for stuff in-continuity to equal stuff that can stand on its own and play by its own rules. But I do agree it's likely on roughly the same level as the canon stuff like Morrison's Action. I think of Morrison's Action as a must-read run, and if we look at PKJ's arc through the lens of developing a long-standing and major rogue, then I think it makes the list.....it's just much further down than stuff like All-Star.
    I really want to see PKJ and Federeci do a BL Superman story where Federeci can draw the whole thing beginning to end. I love Federeci’s art but he just can’t keep up with the demands of a monthly ongoing, and I’d rather get an artist who can do great work for consecutive issues the way Dan Mora does for example. It’s disappointing they didn’t keep Mendonca because he’s a great artist too and he could have been the consistent artist the book needs.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

While I like it a lot, I don't think the Saga as a whole is any kind of all time classic, though I do think it'll end up required reading for Mongul and Warworld specifically (and depending on whether they last, Thao-La, Kryl-Ux and whatever First World mythology PKJ is building up). Back-ups about the characters (the Unmade, the Phaelosians, other allies) would have massively improved it. The main story feels simultaneously dragged out and barebones without such expansions. Also, yeah, the inconsistent art (however high quality it usually was) hurt it.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Someone here, or in another thread, wrote that they picked up Arena collection and it had tales of Metropolis and Martian Manhunter backups. Hopefully at some point DC will do Superman: Warworld Saga collection (deluxe edition?) and it will skip those stories.
    Oh yeah that was me.

Yeah I got the Arena trade and it collects the Guardian Tales of Metropolis story and the Martian Manhunter backup so its a pretty big book at 240 pages combined with 7 issues of the main run.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Just finished the Warworld arc.

Fantastic writing, but it is a real shame we didn't get one artist from start to finish. It's a common problem I find with modern DC/Marvel comics (more DC than Marvel) that one artists can't sustain or is replaced during a run and the art going forward is not only different but a massive downgrade from the start. Also, I've always hated more than one artist in a single issue.

I hesitantly look forward to what the future holds with a big Luthor confrontation. I didn't enjoy anything leading up to WW and the Conduit return was botched so it ma just be the WW stuff PJK had.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Really enjoyed the Warworld saga. Bit sad it's finished

Thanks so much! And don't be sad! Remember: Kryl-Ux took Mongul's body when he escaped, he refers to Mongul as "dead, for now," and there's a lot more we hope to do with these characters and plot lines, especially as we approach the future seen in House of El.
    https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...47JdJD8PK6A01A

As someone who really dug that cast/timeframe, I’m looking forward to seeing what ends up aligning with that time period and what diverges.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

"especially as we approach the future seen in House of El."

Well thats an interesting bit indeed. Looks like we may be connecting the House of El future to the main plot after all.

Maybe Superman may get to use that Blue Lantern ring one of his descendants has.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 09-21-2022 at 12:13 PM.

Looks like Federeci is on a Batman book now.
    Not sure if this means he’s done with Action, but if so I enjoyed what he was able to draw for Superman, and I hope he and PKJ get to do a Superman BL book in the future (or at least more The Last God) but I’m ok with him departing if it means we get a more consistent art team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    "especially as we approach the future seen in House of El."

Well thats an interesting bit indeed. Looks like we may be connecting the House of El future to the main plot after all.

Hay maybe Superman may get to use that Blue Lantern ring one of his descendants has.
    I don’t think he’s ever had a blue ring funnily enough. He’s had green and yellow in non-canon/Elseworlds and “maybe” in canon, depending on what “counts” currently, but never blue. Would be cool to have the House of El cast time travel back for a big Superfamily team up, Superman Squadron style.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Federici's inevitable betrayal has come.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Federici's inevitable betrayal has come.
    Him and Jorge Jimenez being on Batbooks hurts a little, can’t lie. No clue where Sampere ends up but man do I selfishly hope it’s not a Batbook

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Looks like Federeci is on a Batman book now.
    Not sure if this means he’s done with Action, but if so I enjoyed what he was able to draw for Superman, and I hope he and PKJ get to do a Superman BL book in the future (or at least more The Last God) but I’m ok with him departing if it means we get a more consistent art team.

I don’t think he’s ever had a blue ring funnily enough. He’s had green and yellow in non-canon/Elseworlds and “maybe” in canon, depending on what “counts” currently, but never blue. Would be cool to have the House of El cast time travel back for a big Superfamily team up, Superman Squadron style.
    38324e3d-e84d-493a-b5a8-b04e554130f9_text.jpg

I thought I did see somewhere where he's already tied to another chapter of The Last God, so thats a plus.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...47JdJD8PK6A01A

As someone who really dug that cast/timeframe, I’m looking forward to seeing what ends up aligning with that time period and what diverges.
    It's the natural order of things. DC poaches all the top talent for Gotham eventually.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

It ain't DC if they don't hog all the A-list talent for Batman after all

Jokes aside, I wonder that since the significance of Warworld for the run and the focus on legacy for the House of El, PKJ might introduce the House of Mongul for the HoE setting.

It be a contrast to the unity of the HoE since the Mongul's prioritize competition and unrelenting absolute domination for your own supremacy. Plus while the El's are a unity of various races and species, the Mongul's are a bunch of conqueror's who oppress others under their dominion.

Plus it be pretty fun to see more variations of the Mongul species.

PKJ held a brief Twitter AMA, one of the things he mentioned is he doesn’t plan to use any Multiversal Supermen

After Dark Crisis I’m exhausted with the Multiverse as a concept so I don’t care/mind. Least he’s apparently having fun using the Superfamily.

Extraordinary Member

Action Comics #1047 Preview
    Writer: Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    Artist: Riccardo Federici
    Backup Writer: Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    Backup Artist: David Lapham