Page 29 of 376 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979129 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    He did that one too? Damn, you're killing me.

Alright man, now sell me on Deathstroke. I'm halfway interested because I enjoyed Superman's guest spot in it, so seal the deal.
    I don’t really know how to. There’s a bunch of great moments but I don’t know if they will be great without all the build up Priest does. Put it this way: What Morrison did for Batman, Priest did for Deathstroke to me. He wrote Slade as the hyper competent badass he is, showed that he does have some sympathetic traits like Wolfman wanted, but ultimately he’s a dude who kills people for money. He’s not an “anti-hero” or even an “anti-villain”, he’s a villain plain and simple. It’s the best composite of all the Deathstroke takes I’ve seen, respects the last while moving forward. It’s a dark, cynical book:

But also a book that’s funny as hell:

Up to you if that’s your thing.

I'm down, as they don't explore his origin story again i'm good.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Checked the video shared by Superlad. I'm intrigued by PKJ's long term plans for Action Comics. If well executed, his run could become a classic. Feeling the opposite for the SM book. smh.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Honestly, I expect Challenge of the Supersons to pull a Superman & Lois and crush the main Superman books in sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not likely. Super Sons was down in the 30ks pretty quickly and I just checked ComiXology, the first Challenge issue didn’t even make the top 10. Jurgens Lois & Clark was a brand new series while the New 52 issues were up in the 30s, of course it initially far outsold them. Whether it could’ve sustained those kinds of sales is another matter.
    Actually, Jurgens's Lois & Clark never outsold the main Superman books, it could barely sell half the copies of them. Back then, it was the lower selling Superman related book along with Neal Adams' Coming of the Supermen.

Thought that was the thing people loved about Rebirth. If that didn’t sell you on it, that’s Tomasi and Jurgens’ fault. Rebirth was pretty much the Clark & Jon show with Clark training Jon.
    Sure, but I don't see how that excuses Bendis, he made the problem even worse.

I'm not sure I understand why Jon has to stay a teenager because of the Lois and Clark show. Supergirl is still in her teens, and they had no problem adapting other stuff from the show into her title.

I'm not sure I understand why Jon has to stay a teenager because of the Lois and Clark show. Supergirl is still in her teens, and they had no problem adapting other stuff from the show into her title.
    Chasing synergy can only take you so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Chasing synergy can only take you so far.
    In Supergirl’s case it was a terrible decision. I actually prefer the New 52 incarnation over Rebirth, Kara should never be pursuing a career in journalism.

In Supergirl’s case it was a terrible decision. I actually prefer the New 52 incarnation over Rebirth, Kara should never be pursuing a career in journalism.
    New 52 Kara was too angry and confrontational for me (and the leotard just isn't Kara's look). I don't think the Rebirth run needed to lean as hard on synergy as it did but it felt more like Supergirl to me.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Johnson will be a guest on the word baloon podcast tonight for anyone interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0UMjBDddzg

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Checked the video shared by Superlad. I'm intrigued by PKJ's long term plans for Action Comics. If well executed, his run could become a classic. Feeling the opposite for the SM book. smh.
    Yeah, I'm really curious who will actually end up writing that title when the switch happens, the fact that it's been planned even beore the Johnson's run starts is good I guess.

Honestly, I expect Challenge of the Supersons to pull a Superman & Lois and crush the main Superman books in sales.
    I sure hope so, that would be beyond sweet.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

So we can have a new hip single Superman free of Clark's decades of "baggage".....

Edit - If they want to go this route why not give the nod to an AU version of Val-Zod, Kong Kenan, or failing that Connor? Each of the candidates I've listed would be far superior to bland Teen Jon and the first two would tick diversity boxes which is always a plus these days.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-21-2020 at 05:00 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Because Jon is the same basic deal as Clark, that’s the whole point. He’s white, straight, male, grew up in a small town farm community, hung out with the Legion growing up, etc. He lets you soft reboot Superman without having to really change anything but he doesn’t any of the baggage. He’s not Clark so he doesn’t have to be “perfect” (never mind that Clark isn’t that, the pop culture perception of him says he is) so he can be as flawed as they want him to be. Hell he can be whatever they want him to be.

The Superman and Lois show provides some synergy, but its not the main motivation. The main motivation is having a symbolic Superman clone in the main verse to play with, with no attachments and who is young. As has been said, Jon is supposed to be Clark 2.0, and that's why he is exactly that. Its also why his Lane side gets so routinely ignored. That's completely irrelevant, what's relevant is that he's their next Superman, so only Superman connections need
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The Superman and Lois show provides some synergy, but its not the main motivation. The main motivation is having a symbolic Superman clone in the main verse to play with, with no attachments and who is young. As has been said, Jon is supposed to be Clark 2.0, and that's why he is exactly that. Its also why his Lane side gets so routinely ignored. That's completely irrelevant, what's relevant is that he's their next Superman, so only Superman connections need
    There’s some irony here Sacred that despite you hating the kid, it looks like he’s going to become the spiritual successor to the New 52 Superman. Young, hot headed, eager to prove himself, maybe even dating Wonder Woman if that connection with Yara goes where it’s being hinted at. His first big task even involves taking on Brainiac lol, same as how Brainiac was the “first boss” for Superbro becoming more like the “classic” Superman.

Definitely, its amusingly enough another way to do the New 52 in the main canon. Most seem to agree now that it always seemed to be an idea better suited for a second imprint, but DC has always had the penchant to not really care unless its their main canon. They couldn't even stand keeping the JSA on their own Earth.

Hell even Jon's costume seems inspired by the New 52 aesthetic. As does most every Future Stater, to some degree. They still desire to start over from scratch, they just don't want to use the main guns for it anymore.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-21-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El