Page 321 of 376 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324325331371 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,815 of 5626
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Read the issue a couple times and I like where they’re going with the push for Metropolis at the City of Tomorrow. The Steelworks tower is pretty cool and I liked the speech John Henry gave about progress. Lois’s narration was a nice framing device as well (always appreciate when the written word from either Lois or Clark is prominently featured).

I also really like the sequences with Corben. The scene with the boy and his dog was sufficiently creepy, as was the background of the lab with all the extra mech body parts lying around everywhere. Sandoval rarely disappoints in both characters and scenery/backgrounds. Only gripe is that Jon does look pretty old (age up jokes aside ).

I think for the first time I am casting some potential skepticism towards the size of the cast. I mean, I do have full confidence in PKJ and what he has planned, but there is def a LOT of characters to juggle, especially when it comes to the action sequences. This was the first time it was apparent (for me anyway).

While there was some good action, I’m anxious for the action to kick up a notch after two scene-setting type issues. But in the bigger picture PKJ is def a long game kind of story teller.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Okay, so with Doomsday I kinda have to ignore almost everything from about 2005 onwards. That's not a good start, I know. Lol.

The essence of the character used to be that it was a mindless, unstoppable force of nature. It's every bit as durable and strong as Superman but was just a walking engine of destruction and, as we learned after DoS, it will regenerate and evolve beyond anything that does cause catastrophic damage.

It was a(nother) mirror of what Superman isn't, Superman has all of this potential for destruction but Doomsday just an engine of threat/response without any intelligence. To a degree, Doomsday is a Kaiju, a dumber Godzilla (and I also love Kaiju).

And Doomsday was something Superman was actually scared of. Imagine that, Superman afraid of something! That's a really cool hook.

Jurgens did a great job of keeping Doomsday special, only using the character 3 times in a decade, once to actually kill Superman and twice as prestige format miniseries, with each time requiring some over the top means of ending the threat.

Jeff Loeb started a journey to explore a Doomsday with sentience (and whiffed it) but that could have been a really interesting direction for the character. It was the highlight of the Chuck Austin run.

I feel there is so much potential in Doomsday to be something more than a punching bag but unfortunately that's what it has become starting with infinite Crisis. Especially retconning it to an ancient Kryptonian threat.

Doomsday is a character that requires imagination to use successfully but has just been used as a blunt object (a throw away threat even!) for far too long. Doomsday can and should be so much more than the thing that killed Superman once.

Also, I absolutely love Conduit.
    Huh what were those 2 miniseries?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    SUPERMAN/DOOMSDAY: HUNTER/PREY #1-3 and SUPERMAN: THE DOOMSDAY WARS #1-3.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    Cool, are those collected anywhere?

BANNED

There are trades of them I'm aware of that came out in the 90s and 2000s. Don't know if they've been recollected since.

Doomsday Wars is awesome, the twist with him is quite good, also it's where Lana and Pete's baby was born (what happened to him?)

There was a Superman Doomsday tpb in 2016 that collected both minis and an annual.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Is Clark now cured of the slow (Kryptonite?) poisoning from The Man Who Fell?

I read the ending to the Warworld saga to be that he could have saved himself using/retaining the Fire of Olgrun but instead chose to save Osul, but he seems to be fine now that he's back on Earth. Did the Fire cleanse him anyway so he was really just giving up the extra power?
    It was the white sun that did that. One of his followers sacrificed themselves to covert the red sun powering Warworld to a white one which empowered both Superman and the Phaelosians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    There are trades of them I'm aware of that came out in the 90s and 2000s. Don't know if they've been recollected since.

Doomsday Wars is awesome, the twist with him is quite good, also it's where Lana and Pete's baby was born (what happened to him?)
    Doesn’t exist anymore since Lana and Pete aren’t a couple post-New 52.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    Yes, Hunter/Prey dealt with a Superman scared of Doomsday and delved into Doomsday's origins. It was a perfect sequel to the Doomsday (Death of Superman) story.

Doomsday Wars was an exploration of a sentient Doomsday with some delightful twists and turns. Not on the level of H/P but very fun.

I'd highly recommend both.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It was the white sun that did that. One of his followers sacrificed themselves to covert the red sun powering Warworld to a white one which empowered both Superman and the Phaelosians.
    Ah, thanks. I haven't properly re-read the last 3rd of the saga yet. Waiting for the collection.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Given the Authority movie announcement, and it seemingly being connected to Superman: Legacy, I wager we get that Authority book PKJ wanted to do after all. Hope if the movies tie the two together that the comics maintain the Superman/Authority connection.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Given the Authority movie announcement, and it seemingly being connected to Superman: Legacy, I wager we get that Authority book PKJ wanted to do after all. Hope if the movies tie the two together that the comics maintain the Superman/Authority connection.
    He prob already has a plan in mind to bring Manchester back. Guy is a long game planner of a writer, that’s for sure.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

I’m listening to a Matt Rosenberg Word Balloon interview and one things he’s mentioned is that we will find out what connection Mr. Majestic has to Superman and Krypton. The DCU incarnation is a kid who was transformed into a Superman type, maybe Halo did that with Kryptonian DNA? Lot of Wildstorm stuff seems to have ties to Supes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    He prob already has a plan in mind to bring Manchester back. Guy is a long game planner of a writer, that’s for sure.
    He actually mentioned in a recent interview that we don’t actually know for sure he’s dead. I’m certain that if PKJ wants to bring him back, maybe even just reviving him as part of his finale on Action, then that will happen.

Wasn't Manchester's mind moved to cow at the end of Black Dawn? Something similar likely happened now as well.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Wasn't Manchester's mind moved to cow at the end of Black Dawn? Something similar likely happened now as well.
    Yeah!!he even went mooooooowww!!! To express his revenge and displeasure.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

BANNED

Action Comics #1053 International Women's Day Variant

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Action Comics #1053 International Women's Day Variant

I want this to be canon! Ma Kent definitely deserves a jacket