Page 346 of 376 FirstFirst ... 246296336342343344345346347348349350356 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,190 of 5626
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Jiminez variant for AC 1057.

Always draws an awesome S shirt rip reveal.

IMG_2076.jpg

https://twitter.com/jorgejimenezart/...5FceZvkee6cG3w
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 06-20-2023 at 12:10 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

ACTION COMICS #1057
    Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON, DAN JURGENS, and MAGDALENE VISAGGIO
    Art by RAFA SANDOVAL, LEE WEEKS, and MATTHEW CLARK
    Cover by STEVE BEACH
    Variant covers by JORGE JIMENEZ and DAVID TALASKI
    1:25 variant cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE
    1:50 variant cover by AL BARRIONUEVO
    $4.99 US | 48 pages | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 9/26/23
    As the Super-Family and Steelworks rebuild their city, a new Golden Age of Metropolis has begun…and not everyone is happy about it! As the charismatic but volatile young terrorist leader Norah Stone reveals herself and her vision for a city without Kryptonians, members of the Super-Family inexplicably start losing their powers…and a new team of metahumans emerges to take their place. Who is Norah Stone? And what’s her strange obsession with Clark Kent? The newest arc of Action Comics begins here!
    Stone huh? Will she be related to Cyborg or is that just a coincidence? Both PKJ and Williamson are introducing new villains in Sept and I’m alright with it. Both at least started off building up the already established Superman Rogues so I think they’ve both earned a shot at introducing new villains. Although I thought PKJ mentioned we’d be seeing another classic Superman Rogue in this next arc. Perhaps it’s someone working in secret with Norah? I could see Ultra-Humanite making his return since PKJ has indicated he intends to pick up that “mystery of Kryptonite” thread Morrison seeded in S&tA. Perhaps that’s tied into the Family’s power troubles. Otherwise I’m going to guess it’s Mxy. I love seeing Steelworks Tower in between Lexcorp and the Daily Planet. Good to get another big Metropolis landmark.

Finally… there’s that figure in a trenchcoat with Superman. Manchester Black making his return already? He may be in a movie coming up so I wouldn’t rule out the possibility. I see DC is still putting other people on two backups. Jurgens needs to up his game because so far he’s been awful, and I hope whatever Visaggio is doing is worth the pages.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member

Action Comics #1056 Preview
    Writers: Various
    Artists: Various

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Stone huh? Will she be related to Cyborg or is that just a coincidence? Both PKJ and Williamson are introducing new villains in Sept and I’m alright with it. Both at least started off building up the already established Superman Rogues so I think they’ve both earned a shot at introducing new villains. Although I thought PKJ mentioned we’d be seeing another classic Superman Rogue in this next arc. Perhaps it’s someone working in secret with Norah? I could see Ultra-Humanite making his return since PKJ has indicated he intends to pick up that “mystery of Kryptonite” thread Morrison seeded in S&tA. Perhaps that’s tied into the Family’s power troubles. Otherwise I’m going to guess it’s Mxy. I love seeing Steelworks Tower in between Lexcorp and the Daily Planet. Good to get another big Metropolis landmark.

Finally… there’s that figure in a trenchcoat with Superman. Manchester Black making his return already? He may be in a movie coming up so I wouldn’t rule out the possibility. I see DC is still putting other people on two backups. Jurgens needs to up his game because so far he’s been awful, and I hope whatever Visaggio is doing is worth the pages.
    I can imagine that while Stone will be one of the main threats she could be augmented by working alongside a returning villain. Thats generally a good way of going about this, bringing in the new and the old. Plus looking at the solicits she appears to be a terrorist leader which is a good opportunity to hire some mercenaries or colluding with others to forward her goals.

BANNED

but he did not say that we would see a super powerful Superman, now he arrives and takes away his powers, it is clear that he is a great writer but this is the second time that we will have a Superman without power. I do not understand why he talks about power if it is clear that he is not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Action Comics #1056 Preview
    Writers: Various
    Artists: Various

I guess we haven't seen Clark fight Henshaw since Rebirth.

Incredible Member

- I know it's just a preview, but it really looks like PKJ doesn't have much of interest to do with Henshaw after all. Or at least regular Henshaw. Maybe the nightmare Henshaw from the upcoming issues might be better. But here he just feels... bland.
    - Metallo's going to end up killing Tracy, right? You can just feel the foreboding atmosphere in those two panels.
    - This whole arc really would have improved a lot if we actually saw that refugee center for at least one page, rather than just get some references to it that say it is very important.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I mean if Henshaw "refreshed" his DNA to get the white sun boost or something, that's pretty terrifying
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I mean if Henshaw "refreshed" his DNA to get the white sun boost or something, that's pretty terrifying
    If it's like Superman's, I don't think anyone will be scared, it will be weaker.

Honestly this was a disappointing ending. Metallo is a good guy now I guess? He’s staying in Steelworks with his sister. PKJ did a lot of interesting stuff with Metallo here, I like his backstory, I like the parallels with being a gun, and I loved how Cyborg Superman taunted him about how for all his power, he’s still only ever been a tool. But then it just kinda… ends. No one dies or gets hurt, Metallo does get to kill Henshaw like I wanted to see, but I wanted him to end this arc at odds with Superman and that doesn’t happen. He kept comparing his take on Metallo to that Spidey villain who wanted to reform but couldn’t, and instead this is just a pretty toothless happy ending where everyone gets off consequences free. I’m not sure if this is only setting up for another Metallo story down the road, but if this is all he has then I sadly have to say PKJ fell short with Metallo like many other writers before him.

Did like this bit about Metropolis however. Backups both sucked.

At this point I gotta give it to Williamson, he’s got the better book right now.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It's hard to buy into a villain redemption these days because we all know they're going to end up being villains again at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/live/3DaKx6bKHHc?feature=share

Mostly Hulk talk but two things PKJ teases is that the next arc is the Superfamily vs. another family, and it connects back to something from early in his run. I’m sticking with my guess that the Empire of Shadows are the real bad guys of the next arc, they seem like the most obvious candidates since they meet both of the criteria.

Honestly, I wasn't too keen on this Metallo arc.

I get Tracy was there to humanize Metallo especially with them both being subjected to the typical bad dad angle but it just didn't do it for me, probably because I've seen this type of storytelling with villains many times before. The origin Metallo had on Superman the Animated Series still remains my favorite. Also despite him being one of my favorite Superman villains, I didn't see the purpose of Cyborg Superman being featured considering (A) this was suppose to be Metallo's turn in the Superman villain spotlight and (B) Henshaw was treated almost like an afterthought. If Cyborg Superman is going to be used, the overall effect should be a bigger deal than that.

It seems like things were rushed in time to usher in Norah Stone.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's hard to buy into a villain redemption these days because we all know they're going to end up being villains again at some point.
    Was thinking the same thing, while reading the finale of this arc.

As a big fan of Morrison's Action I like Steel/Metallo connection so him now being in Steelworks sounds good for me and PKJ can do a slow burn story where he turns evil again. But we got multiple plots from earlier stories that have to be moved forward at some point too.

I guess in ideal world I'd move Metallo's plot to Steelworks book, but it doesn't feel like Action and PKJ are in position to set up plots for other books.

And then we have that Doomsday special that will somehow factor into upcoming Superman storyline. I don't know, I'm starting to fear that we are going to get a big crossover story where they'll try to wrap up 50 different plot points, but won't have enough space to do justice to any of them.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

- Superman getting cradled was hilarious
    - Tracy, monsters are made but jerks are born, sheesh
    - I suppose Henshaw was just arrogant? Getting ripped apart like that

Overall I enjoyed this arc a whole lot and I'm loving this overall idea that Superman is more like Savage in the way he should be finally, finding ways to resolve antagonists moreso than just kicking their asses. Metallo works because historically he has been a gun, and treating him with compassion turns this corner for him immediately. From Superman to his family to Metropolis, the operative idea is being progressive.

Speaking of which, having these new xenophobic, cultist villains fight "indoctrination" is 100% what I need in this time and place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nero View Post
    Honestly, I wasn't too keen on this Metallo arc.

I get Tracy was there to humanize Metallo especially with them both being subjected to the typical bad dad angle but it just didn't do it for me, probably because I've seen this type of storytelling with villains many times before. The origin Metallo had on Superman the Animated Series still remains my favorite. Also despite him being one of my favorite Superman villains, I didn't see the purpose of Cyborg Superman being featured considering (A) this was suppose to be Metallo's turn in the Superman villain spotlight and (B) Henshaw was treated almost like an afterthought. If Cyborg Superman is going to be used, the overall effect should be a bigger deal than that.

It seems like things were rushed in time to usher in Norah Stone.
    In many ways it really is like the 90s, and Henshaw tends to appear a lot. One thing about an immortal threat is that it unwittingly will allow itself to be broken more than something that can't afford to break.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES