Page 355 of 376 FirstFirst ... 255305345351352353354355356357358359365 ... LastLast
Results 5,311 to 5,325 of 5626
    Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    I thought they had revealed the cover for the Warworld Saga collection awhile back but I guess it was just a placeholder.

Attachment 134503

I found the temporary cover to be more striking and cool but this one's alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Beefcake Superman .
    Just pre-ordered my copy of beefcake.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

League of Comics Geeks AMA with PKJ

Worth a read. One guy apparently has seen the name of the collection for the next Action trade and it’s Revenge of the Demon. PKJ is calling this upcoming arc New Worlds. Unless Etrigan is showing up (and he does mention loving that guy and wanting to write him), it looks like my hunch regarding the Empire of Shadows is going to be proven right after all!

Oh and rereading Dune recently gave me a big hunch on where the Phaelosian plotline is going and why Zod would need to appear. I think PKJ is setting up the Phaelosians to be Superman’s Fremen to Zod resurrecting the Kandorians as his Sardaukar.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Can you translate what that means for those who don't know anything about Dune nor care to learn?

And yeah, revenge of the demon sounds like Empire of Shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Can you translate what that means for those who don't know anything about Dune nor care to learn?

And yeah, revenge of the demon sounds like Empire of Shadows.
    Lol sure. Basic plot of Dune is that there’s this God-Emperor of Humanity who rules unchallenged because he has the strongest fighting force in the galaxy: the Sardaukar. Over the course of Dune, the main character Paul finds a people (the Fremen) who have grown up in a hellish environment and thus are strong enough to beat the Sardaukar (who likewise grew up under similar conditions on another world, but have since grown soft). Paul becomes this Messiah for the Fremen and they basically worship him to the point that they are going to lead a bloody jihad across the stars to secure his legacy.

The Phaelosians are pretty similar to the Fremen obviously, and PKJ even had there be giant worms on Warworld which provide a critical resource (air) which is a clear homage to the giant worms of Dune which create this critical resource called spice. Clearly on same level he’s drawing from that work.

I think Zod is going to fill the God-Emperor role, he’ll resurrect the Kandorians or recruit the Warzoons to be his elite force and start carving out an Empire. Kryl will probably aid him in that regard, mostly aiming to punish Thaaros and the Unite Planets. That will force Superman to go get the Phaelosians and fight back to save the United Planets from Zod. But once he unleashes the Phaelosians it’s a question of can he control them, which is the same dilemma that Paul faces in Dune.
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-07-2023 at 11:04 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

I remember when Warworld Saga was ongoing, PKJ mentioned a few times, that he's a big fan of Dune. Not surprising he might use it as an inspiration.
    Anyways, as a huge Dune fan, I'm in, sounds incredible.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh and rereading Dune recently gave me a big hunch on where the Phaelosian plotline is going and why Zod would need to appear. I think PKJ is setting up the Phaelosians to be Superman’s Fremen to Zod resurrecting the Kandorians as his Sardaukar.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that's been getting Dune vibes from this run.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

re: Dune vibes. I like how PKJ does not shy away from his inspirations and personal preferences. The Last God was heavily derivative of Lord of the Rings (what fantasy isn't? ). He has mentioned that his John Stewart GL book will be like an 80s action movie in the most awesome way. Dune for Superman. All his stories dabble in sci-fi, fantasy, action; he hits all genres.

Very Cool.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

A big cosmic war between Kal and Zod with the survivors of Krypton choosing sides would be the most exciting thing done with Zod since New Krypton. It’s the kind of event I’d actually want to read over another Crisis rehash.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Lol sure. Basic plot of Dune is that there’s this God-Emperor of Humanity who rules unchallenged because he has the strongest fighting force in the galaxy: the Sardaukar. Over the course of Dune, the main character Paul finds a people (the Fremen) who have grown up in a hellish environment and thus are strong enough to beat the Sardaukar (who likewise grew up under similar conditions on another world, but have since grown soft). Paul becomes this Messiah for the Fremen and they basically worship him to the point that they are going to lead a bloody jihad across the stars to secure his legacy.

The Phaelosians are pretty similar to the Fremen obviously, and PKJ even had there be giant worms on Warworld which provide a critical resource (air) which is a clear homage to the giant worms of Dune which create this critical resource called spice. Clearly on same level he’s drawing from that work.

I think Zod is going to fill the God-Emperor role, he’ll resurrect the Kandorians or recruit the Warzoons to be his elite force and start carving out an Empire. Kryl will probably aid him in that regard, mostly aiming to punish Thaaros and the Unite Planets. That will force Superman to go get the Phaelosians and fight back to save the United Planets from Zod. But once he unleashes the Phaelosians it’s a question of can he control them, which is the same dilemma that Paul faces in Dune.
    So does Superman or his son turn into a giant worm at the end of this?

Spectacular Member

I think the biggest give away was the Great Worms of Warworld,
    and the fact that the storyteller who can see into the future can transform into a Great Worm.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    So does Superman or his son turn into a giant worm at the end of this?
    Ah see if you want a character who is liable to end up undergoing a transformation that destroys their humanity to save humanity as a whole… I think that’s going to be Osul. He’s a New God now after all, he’s got Olgrun in his head, he’s almost there. Although since it’s a Superman story I predict that Clark will succeed where Paul failed.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Weird that they are dumping the last 2 issues of the next AC arc in an Annual.

ACTION COMICS #1060

Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON, NICOLE MAINES, STEVE ORLANDO, and JOE CASEY

Art by EDDY BARROWS, FICO OSSIO, and DAN McDAID

Cover by STEVE BEACH

Variant covers by JIM CHEUNG and JORGE JIMENEZ

1:25 variant cover by DANIEL SAMPERE

1:50 variant cover by KAARE ANDREWS

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom variant cover by FELIPE MASSAFERA

$4.99 US | 48 pages | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)

ON SALE 12/12/23

A mistake from Superman’s past has returned, and Metropolis hangs in the balance! As the super-family is betrayed from within and stripped of their powers one by one, Superman sets out on a suicide mission into the Multiverse alongside the unlikeliest of allies: Constantine, the demon Etrigan, and—making his return to Action Comics—Bloodwynd!

Plus: During “Beast World” in Metropolis, Dreamer has a run-in with life-changing consequences, and Zod’s son begins to suspect New Kandor isn’t as peaceful as it seems in the prelude to Kneel Before Zod #1!

ACTION COMICS 2023 ANNUAL #1

Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON

Art by MAX RAYNOR

Cover by RAFA SANDOVAL

Variant covers by LUCIO PARRILLO and DAVE WILKINS

1:25 variant cover by SWEENEY BOO

1:50 variant cover by JON BOGDANOVE

$5.99 US | 48 pages | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)

ON SALE 12/26/23

Norah Stone’s true form has been revealed, her gateway between worlds is opened, and the invasion of Earth has begun! As the Multiverse’s two most powerful families clash above Metropolis, which legacy will Otho-Ra choose? Will the followers of Blue Earth defend their treacherous leader, or their own home? It has all led to this! Three years of Action Comics storylines culminate in this pivotal, dramatic double-sized issue!

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 09-15-2023 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Weird that they are dumping the last 2 issues of the next AC arc in an Annual.

ACTION COMICS #1060

Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON, NICOLE MAINES, STEVE ORLANDO, and JOE CASEY

Art by EDDY BARROWS, FICO OSSIO, and DAN McDAID

Cover by STEVE BEACH

Variant covers by JIM CHEUNG and JORGE JIMENEZ

1:25 variant cover by DANIEL SAMPERE

1:50 variant cover by KAARE ANDREWS

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom variant cover by FELIPE MASSAFERA

$4.99 US | 48 pages | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)

ON SALE 12/12/23

A mistake from Superman’s past has returned, and Metropolis hangs in the balance! As the super-family is betrayed from within and stripped of their powers one by one, Superman sets out on a suicide mission into the Multiverse alongside the unlikeliest of allies: Constantine, the demon Etrigan, and—making his return to Action Comics—Bloodwynd!

Plus: During “Beast World” in Metropolis, Dreamer has a run-in with life-changing consequences, and Zod’s son begins to suspect New Kandor isn’t as peaceful as it seems in the prelude to Kneel Before Zod #1!

ACTION COMICS 2023 ANNUAL #1

Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON

Art by MAX RAYNOR

Cover by RAFA SANDOVAL

Variant covers by LUCIO PARRILLO and DAVE WILKINS

1:25 variant cover by SWEENEY BOO

1:50 variant cover by JON BOGDANOVE

$5.99 US | 48 pages | Variant $6.99 US (card stock)

ON SALE 12/26/23

Norah Stone’s true form has been revealed, her gateway between worlds is opened, and the invasion of Earth has begun! As the Multiverse’s two most powerful families clash above Metropolis, which legacy will Otho-Ra choose? Will the followers of Blue Earth defend their treacherous leader, or their own home? It has all led to this! Three years of Action Comics storylines culminate in this pivotal, dramatic double-sized issue!

I wonder if Action Comics is getting a new direction in January. It sounds like PKJ's run might be ending with the annual, and both of December's back-ups sound like one-offs.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    I wonder if Action Comics is getting a new direction in January. It sounds like PKJ's run might be ending with the annual, and both of December's back-ups sound like one-offs.
    Either that, or the Brainiac event/crossover will start in January, and the Blue Earth arc had to wrap asap.

Spectacular Member

I hope PKJ doesn’t leave AC, I’ve liked what he’s done so far and there’s still potential stories (like Osul being a New God) to tell.