Page 46 of 376 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    By the way, do you remember when you asked what the purpose of New52 Superman was regarding the creation of Jon? I am starting to think that Superbro was a prototype too - for adult Jon in Future State. So if we have two different Superman in current stories in one year, one of them will be Kal-El and the other one will a revamped Superbro, that is Jon.
    I don't think it was by initial intention but they definitely seem to be using New 52 Superman as an influence for Jon as Superman.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Another podcast with PKJ (start around the 22 min. mark): https://comicbookclublive.com/2020/1...nd-rich-douek/

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it was by initial intention but they definitely seem to be using New 52 Superman as an influence for Jon as Superman.
    I'd been saying it ever since he got his new costume. They want Jon to be New 52 Clark so bad xD

I do miss Superbro but I rather Jon be his own person.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Happy holidays everyone!!

Listened to the podcast.

* When asked what Action would be about and what Superman would be about after the first "Golden Age" are, he stops for a moment and wonders if it would be a spoiler to say everything, then he says yes it would. So he instead says that Action will be set in space, and Superman would be about the relationship between Jon and his dad. Mind you this is all set before the status quo shift when PKJ takes on Action solo, so he's likely just keeping Clark in Superman to transition the book before it goes full time Jon.

* He equates the secret identity being gone to the marriage back in the 90s. Similarly one's first reaction is to resist it, but ultimately you get used to it and see its merits. He also said that he never really needed the whole glasses part of his character, and that he's totally good with him telling the truth. But he also says that he likes the aspect of Clark that saves hearts and minds via his writing and not just through force. He says he'll get into some aspect of that in Future State because people now know where Clark Kent went to high school. He says that it'll show Superman as somewhat of a philosophical and spiritual leader.

* He says that Future State Worlds of War #1 is a love letter to Superman #400 (ironically one of Bendis' favorite books, and one that heavily influenced his run).
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

so far, PKJ's work at DC has been pretty solid, Last God, Dark Multiverse Hush,
    but Superman is a hard book and I want to see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

* He equates the secret identity being gone to the marriage back in the 90s. Similarly one's first reaction is to resist it, but ultimately you get used to it and see its merits. He also said that he never really needed the whole glasses part of his character, and that he's totally good with him telling the truth. But he also says that he likes the aspect of Clark that saves hearts and minds via his writing and not just through force. He says he'll get into some aspect of that in Future State because people now know where Clark Kent went to high school. He says that it'll show Superman as somewhat of a philosophical and spiritual leader.

* He says that Future State Worlds of War #1 is a love letter to Superman #400 (ironically one of Bendis' favorite books, and one that heavily influenced his run).
    Thanks for the description. I like what he had to say there. His run isn't what I was hoping for, but I might like it none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Happy holidays everyone!!

Listened to the podcast.

* When asked what Action would be about and what Superman would be about after the first "Golden Age" are, he stops for a moment and wonders if it would be a spoiler to say everything, then he says yes it would. So he instead says that Action will be set in space, and Superman would be about the relationship between Jon and his dad. Mind you this is all set before the status quo shift when PKJ takes on Action solo, so he's likely just keeping Clark in Superman to transition the book before it goes full time Jon.

Glad I read Superman #400 recently, seems like a lot of the recent writers really enjoyed it. I really liked what I read, and given the issue is more about the impact Superman has had on people, I can see why PKJ might like it and want to reference it.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I have got to admit, the fact that PKJ almost exclusively seems to reference Batman when giving examples is worrying.

Giving Superman to writers who prefer Batman hasn't worked out so well...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I have got to admit, the fact that PKJ almost exclusively seems to reference Batman when giving examples is worrying.

There's nothing wrong with that, you can like multiple characters and get them properly. Batman's also the top dog in the DCU, so it's easy to see why he'd go to that franchise for examples, more people understand who Batman is then if he said Animal Man.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I have a sneaking suspicion(I haven't been wrong so far) since superman 400 and donner superman is brought up.He might write a terrific jon(kid jon fans might not like it or might like it.Depending on what they want from the character.Me?I am ok with future state.That's the kinda superman i love.He said there is gonna be lots of action.that's all i really needed to hear.he said he is gonna emphasise the super).But,Clark's importance would be like that of barry allens in wally's run.He would be put on pedastal as this great symbol.Saint superman would be worshipped like no tomorrow.But,he won't be a character.Then again,people seem to don't mind that(all the power to them) and want that from the character.They value the symbol of hope that's been drilled in.
    I am gonna say that,clark kent fans to be vary.Also,i am gonna be blunt about this.The guy hasn't read enough superman books.From the way he talks about lois and the triangle.Maybe i am wrong.Maybe he just didn't care about clois ship then.So be vary is my suggestion.This run might not be for lois fans.Is all i have to say.
    for anyone else,this run is gonna try to go for world building,philosophy and action on an epic scale.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-26-2020 at 11:28 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I don't really equate the marriage and the taking away of the secret identity together if only because I feel like the former is just building on a core relationship while the latter is taking one away, but I guess it depends how you look at it. Seems like PKJ pretty much wants to write Clark as Superman 100% of the time anyways.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Even those of us who are interested in what PKJ has to offer would probably take Yang first, but Yang’s interest in exploring the more familiar aspects of the Supermythos is probably why they went with PKJ and not him. Right now DC doesn’t want the familiar status quo for Superman. Yang will still get to play with Superman over in B/S, so if you want more stuff from him make sure to buy that series.

Also those of you still whining about Jon not being deaged:
    27. Challenge of the Super Sons #1
    First issue of Challenge didn’t even crack the top 20 the week it came out. You guys are loud but not very numerous, that’s why DC doesn’t care about you.
    I must reluctantly agree. For all the complaining and outrage I see on these boards, it's not backed up by actual sales in support of the younger incarnation of Jon, who I prefer, but money talks.

That said, there's evidence yet that an older Jon will prove to sell more.
    Hey man, spitting facts is hurtful.

Honestly that crossed my mind as well. I get vibes of "I like Superman but he's not my favorite and he appealed to me because I'm a dad too so I want to tell stories about his son."

I'm worried. I'm giving this new direction a shot, but I'm not confident that I'll be around for the long haul.

Mighty Member

Friendly reminder that Comixology's top sellers chart fluctuates daily and as such, a snapshot representation of that chart at one point in time is not an accurate measure of a titles sales performance, particularly as new issues of Super Sons go on sale days before the rest of the new DC, new Marvel, and new on sale titles do. As such drawing any conclusions, positive or negative, about the current sales success of the new Super Sons title is pointless.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Honestly that crossed my mind as well. I get vibes of "I like Superman but he's not my favorite and he appealed to me because I'm a dad too so I want to tell stories about his son."

I'm worried. I'm giving this new direction a shot, but I'm not confident that I'll be around for the long haul.
    Glad i am not the only one who felt that vibe.That description of the triangle and lois's rejection of clark in favor of superman itself made me realise that,he wasn't much into superman.He seems to more excited about superman the symbol and jon kent the character.Especially since, jon can be molded.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"