Page 52 of 376 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast

It's not just Maxima that's missed. Compare the batfamily pic with the WW family pic and it feels Super empty like DC limiting themselves

Least with Yang on B/S there’s a chance Kenan finally makes a return. I think part of the reason that pic was so light is that a lot of the focus for Superman 2021 will be on new characters, hell PKJ has said as much himself. The “classics” are taking a back seat for a bit. Brainiac and Mongul will be getting some play, but otherwise it looks like the focus will mostly be on the new foes and cast PKJ is cooking up, although Metropolis and the traditional cast will still be featured in the backups.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Least with Yang on B/S there’s a chance Kenan finally makes a return. I think part of the reason that pic was so light is that a lot of the focus for Superman 2021 will be on new characters, hell PKJ has said as much himself. The “classics” are taking a back seat for a bit. Brainiac and Mongul will be getting some play, but otherwise it looks like the focus will mostly be on the new foes and cast PKJ is cooking up, although Metropolis and the traditional cast will still be featured in the backups.
    Classics like?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Classics like?
    Lois and the Daily Planet cast for one. PKJ’s stuff is going to focus on more cosmic adventures for Superman, we’re not even sure if PKJ’s series will take place on Earth right now although April solicits will hopefully answer that.

Astonishing Member

Isn't Jon's story taking place on Earth while Superman's story is taking place cosmically?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Yes,jon's story is taking place on earth.Clark is gonna have space adventures in one book.Jon book will be about superman and his impact/relation with jon.PKJ implied the planet staff won't be much focused,regardless.I have been speculating that jon is gonna get a new cast of his own.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Y'know, with his run being multiverse-focused, I wonder if he'd do an arc where the Justice League of China versions are the main versions.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Wish PKJ did a newsletter. Reading Tynion’s recent three part newsletter and he really lays out as much as he can about his plans for Batman, like how he has a three year plan for Batman and then he’ll take his leave of DC for a while, that he shared a lot of the same initial reaction as the rest of us when editorial asked him to pitch a Joker solo, etc. Would love to get that same kind of thing from PKJ as we start going into his turn on Superman.
    That's why I liked Bendis doing those wod balloon podcasts so much, it's nice seeing writers comfortable talking about their work. Sometimes interviews on newsarama and cbr are just so PR-oriented, it's hard to feel their excitement about the books.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Isn't Jon's story taking place on Earth while Superman's story is taking place cosmically?
    During Future State yes, but we don’t know what the situation will be after Future State in the two ongoings. PKJ hasn’t really clarified if one book will focus on Earth and one will focus on the cosmos. We’re assuming that set up will continue since PKJ will be keeping Action and he seems to be focusing on cosmic adventures with Clark, freeing Superman up to get a new team that will focus on Jon and Earth, but we don’t know for certain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Y'know, with his run being multiverse-focused, I wonder if he'd do an arc where the Justice League of China versions are the main versions.
    I’d be down for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    That's why I liked Bendis doing those wod balloon podcasts so much, it's nice seeing writers comfortable talking about their work. Sometimes interviews on newsarama and cbr are just so PR-oriented, it's hard to feel their excitement about the books.
    Someone asked him on Twitter if he was planning to do a newsletter and he said he wanted to wait until he had more creator owned work to talk about, but he seems to be planning to start one this year. I hope it happens before this big event coming in Sept.

Those “interviews” are basically glorified press releases, and honestly I feel like I get way better insight into Tynion’s creative process, mindset, what his goals are for his books, what he loves about superhero comics, his insight into horror, etc through his newsletter than I’ve ever gotten through an interview from CBR or Newsrama. Word Balloon and Off-Panel are good too.

Plus DC is pretty terrible at advertising anything besides Batman. A newsletter from PKJ would be a much more consistent and better way to get hints about his plans for Superman, his approach to the character, etc.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I expect the New Gods becoming a recurring presence in PKJ's AC. They are featured in the Future State's back ups for this reason, I assume.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Sometimes it backfires though. Bendis being candid about his plans for LSH resulted in me expecting the series to be something else

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    I expect the New Gods becoming a recurring presence in PKJ's AC. They are featured in the Future State's back ups for this reason, I assume.
    If we're imagining a more slower burn to a 5G-like end, much like they're doing with Diana, maybe its prep to have Superman ascend to honorary New God-hood. Kal ascends, Diana ascends, Bruce...I dunno, finally marries and has Helena with Selina (?), and thus the retiring. Play with that for a few years and then (unless its an unlikley unparalleled success), bring back the classics in full force almost like Doomsday Clock foretold.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    If we're imagining a more slower burn to a 5G-like end, much like they're doing with Diana, maybe its prep to have Superman ascend to honorary New God-hood. Kal ascends, Diana ascends, Bruce...I dunno, finally marries and has Helena with Selina (?), and thus the retiring. Play with that for a few years and then (unless its an unlikley unparalleled success), bring back the classics in full force almost like Doomsday Clock foretold.
    The spanner in the works is that there’s another round of layoffs coming in March after Future State wraps, so who knows if whoever is left at DC will stick to the current plan? Or hell, if AT&T won’t just keep gutting DC until it’s just a hollow shell with barely anyone left?

Lois and the Daily Planet cast for one. PKJ’s stuff is going to focus on more cosmic adventures for Superman, we’re not even sure if PKJ’s series will take place on Earth right now although April solicits will hopefully answer that.
    Well that's a shame. If anything needs to be fleshed out is the Daily Planet and the supporting characters

The spanner in the works is that there’s another round of layoffs coming in March after Future State wraps, so who knows if whoever is left at DC will stick to the current plan? Or hell, if AT&T won’t just keep gutting DC until it’s just a hollow shell with barely anyone left?
    Yikes, I wasn't aware of another round of layoffs. If that happens then yeah, its pretty impossible to imagine that there's any actual plan here longer term than just this year.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El