Page 72 of 376 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 5626

I'm not against Johnson relating to the book as far as the Clark/Jon relationship but he seems to be really focusing on it a lot more than I would expect.

I don't know if the lack of a Lois mention is because he just doesn't care about her or because she's locked into another book so he can't really use her. But it still feels weird how little he mentions her. Maybe he can turn around the whole Future State thing if he has Clark make it clear he never loved any of his other wives like he loved Lois.

Well he at least seems to care more than Bendis did but...Eh. I'm still not sold.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm not against Johnson relating to the book as far as the Clark/Jon relationship but he seems to be really focusing on it a lot more than I would expect.

I don't know if the lack of a Lois mention is because he just doesn't care about her or because she's locked into another book so he can't really use her. But it still feels weird how little he mentions her. Maybe he can turn around the whole Future State thing if he has Clark make it clear he never loved any of his other wives like he loved Lois.
    Been that way since he was announced. Why change now?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I had said,he doesn't seem to understand or care for clois.So anyone wanting lois is gonna be disappointed in that fashion.Ofcourse,i expected lois dealing with action,journalism..etc.There seems to be nothing on that front either.That's what i am more disappointed about.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    This run continues to sound rad, but the only conceivable excuse at this point for Tales of Metropolis cycling through Jimmy *twice* along with Ambush Bug of all people before getting to Lois is that she was supposed to long since be co-lead of the Checkmate book in the original plan.
    Her being in Checkmate doesn't justify her being absent in main books. Will be even funnier if Checkmate book won't feature her heavily at all.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

I like how Timms can different Jon and Clark here, Clark is a bit more square shaped while Jon is rounder and smaller and Clark has shorter neat hair while Jon has a bit more unkempt length to him. It's the small things but its appreciated.

Was thinking about it more, and it occurred to me, THIS may be how PKJ plans to tackle the idea of discrimination (something he talked about in an interview not long ago).

Follow me on this one for a sec.

What if the big revamp to Mongul Jr. is that he's basically like "okay, I get that I can't touch you and your family, Superman. But these little random hybrids that no one seems to know about or care about? They're mine. And I'm going to build a got damn galactic economy on their backs, and I couldn't give less of a f#%k about you." I recall PKJ saying that Mongul Jr. would be unlike his father in that he'd be less single minded and focused on Clark, but rather he'd have bigger goals in mind. What if those goals are to build what is essentially a galactic Roman empire off the slave trade and labor of the bustard children of long lost old Krypton?

Going full tilt Roman emperor with Mongul fits both the "Superman War Lord of Mars" and "Superman as Spartacus" hints PKJ gave in regards to his take. The dehumanizing of the hybrids also plays into Jon's feelings of self worth as a worthy Superman, and makes thing even more personal for Clark than when Mongul Sr. showed up with the Black Mercy. This is literally attacking the very idea of his son while not laying a finger on him. It also allows Clark to go on a quest, and I have to imagine his new supporting cast will be some of the hybrids (allowing Clark to think back on memories with teaching his son).

But Mongul as not just an evil Roman style emperor, but also a flat out slave trader and owner could be the thing that puts him on the map as not just the guy Superman gets to punch real hard. It would catapult him to maybe the top of the heap when it comes to just straight up "holy shit, this guy is actually evil" rakings, and it would do it in a pretty no bullshit way.
    I'm not sure if that is 100% what is going to happen, but honestly it would be an interesting way to introduce a galactic level superman. Learning his civilization lives on in some way and he wants to go out to find what is left. Also makes sense with Zod/New Krypton and the United Planets.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

this looks great!i love the artstyle.it feels like the iron giant.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The return of Gangbuster .

Clark and Jon working together feels weird with how older Jon looks like his dad now. I mean, it's not 1-to-1 depending on the artist, but still.
    Now you hold on one second! Are you telling me that that these two short cut black haired, white, and conventionally handsome gentlemen somehow look similar in a medium where artist interpretation is part of the point? Perish the thought.

Tim Drake, Dick Grayson, and Jason Todd would all like to have a word with you.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-12-2021 at 07:06 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I like how Timms can different Jon and Clark here, Clark is a bit more square shaped while Jon is rounder and smaller and Clark has shorter neat hair while Jon has a bit more unkempt length to him. It's the small things but its appreciated.
    That's not Timms. That's actually Scott Godlewski. But yeah, I really, really like what this looks like. Godlewski can sometimes be hit or miss with me in terms of my personal taste, but this and House of El really hit the spot. You should check out his book Copperhead. He absolutely slaps there.

I've noticed that in general, the Superman book seems to be going for a more animated show type of feel with how PKJ and the editors are picking the artist, and Action feels more weighted and realistic-- closer to Last God. Phil Hester (the first artist for the Golden Age arc) even used to work on the Superman 90s cartoon.

And now that I think about it a bit, Godlewski here feels a bit like a sharper Ryan Ottley (the artist for Invincible) who also has an animated feel to his work.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-12-2021 at 07:09 AM.

That's not Timms. That's actually Scott Godlewski. But yeah, I really, really like what this looks like. Godlewski can sometimes be hit or miss with me in terms of my personal taste, but this and House of El really hit the spot. You should check out his book Copperhead. He absolutely slaps there.

I've noticed that in general, the Superman book seems to be going for a more animated show type of feel with how PKJ and the editors are picking the artist, and Action feels more weighted and realistic-- closer to Last God. Phil Hester (the first artist for the Golden Age arc) even used to work on the Superman 90s cartoon.

And now that I think about it a bit, Godlewski here feels a bit like a sharper Ryan Ottley (the artist for Invincible) who also has an animated feel to his work.
    Oh my mistake, his art really reminded me of Timms
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Oh my mistake, his art really reminded me of Timms
    No worries. Probably intentional on DC editorial's part.

Timms worked on Jon's future state book, and that's him doing the cover. PKJ and editorial are most certainly going for a kentic, animated look and feel to Jon's (and possibly later just Jon's) book and overall brand in this era.

Outside of Sook himself, I think an animated art style is actually where his current costume best shines because the contrast of the texture and lines keeps the character from ever looking flat. Well, also works really ell Mikel Janín's style, but that guy could make dry white paint look beautiful

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

That's some amazing art!

Mark Grayson, is that you?
    Now you hold on one second! Are you telling me that that these two short cut black haired, white, and conventionally handsome gentlemen somehow look similar in a medium where artist interpretation is part of the point? Perish the thought.

Tim Drake, Dick Grayson, and Jason Todd would all like to have a word with you.
    Well, no, I was more kind of commenting on how some artists depict older Jon so close to New 52 Supes who is basically current Superman just 10 years younger. They kind of seem on the precipice with how old he's supposed to look and sometimes that ambiguity seems deliberate.

The Robins are a whole 'nother can of worms.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Buh-bye