Page 220 of 375 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224230270320 ... LastLast
Results 3,286 to 3,300 of 5625

Art drop coming tomorrow.

Not sure if it’s for Superman or something else but it’s DC related.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

It was for GL, but the one shot might still be relevant for Action:

If it’ll give you an additional excuse: the things John is fighting are an original creation, and were first referred to during my Action Comics run.
    https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...6x6642PduyPGKg

I wonder if this is a preview of “The Radiant Dead”? PKJ said it took a Supes/GL team up to beat her, this could be setting up that story for the mainline Action book.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

Worlds Without A Justice League-Green Lantern

Taking place in the aftermath of Justice League #75, the issue will see Todd team up with Stewart and Rayner to protect the planet from incoming threats. The synopsis reads, "When Pariah and his forces of the Great Darkness laid waste to the most powerful superheroes of all time, all hope was lost...but the spirit of the Justice League can never truly die. John Stewart takes flight to defend his planet as the Emerald Knight of Justice alongside allies Red Hood and the blind prophet Kyle Rayner! Plus: Hawkgirl takes to the skies in her own unique world! Where there’s life there’s hope, and with that hope comes a deeper unraveling of the tapestry of the DCU’s biggest event of 2022!"
    https://www.cbr.com/jason-todd-gets-...-league-death/

The origin of the FIRST MONGUL--which is practically the origin of Warworld as well--is in this month's Action Comics.

Written by me, jaw-dropping art and letters by @RicFederici, @WillConrad, @LeeLoughridge, and #DaveSharpe. Don't miss it! @DCComics #Superman #ActionComics
    https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...33qs8zaWSx0uGQ

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Will Conrad is a pretty underrated artist. I've loved his stuff since The New 52 era Stormwatch book, and he's only gotten better. He must be slow or something, because to this day he mostly does fill-ins - even his "regular" gig on Justice League Odyssey was sporadic.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Will Conrad is a pretty underrated artist. I've loved his stuff since The New 52 era Stormwatch book, and he's only gotten better. He must be slow or something, because to this day he mostly does fill-ins - even his "regular" gig on Justice League Odyssey was sporadic.
    I recall him being fairly consistent on the Cyborg Rebirth book, but maybe my memory is tricking me there.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I wonder if this is a preview of “The Radiant Dead”? PKJ said it took a Supes/GL team up to beat her, this could be setting up that story for the mainline Action book.
    PKJ is good at world building. I can see all he is writing ending up being connected down the line.

Oh good looks like we might finally be learning more about what the deal with Child is. Of all Mongul’s Champion it’s the most intriguing to me.

Orphan, the name of the fetus guy is Orphan.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Next week's Action Comics 1043: Manchester Black returns, and Superman and his gladiator pals kick all kinds of ass and learn some ancient secrets.

Art/letters by the great @RicFederici, @willconrad, @LeeLoughridge and #DaveSharpe! @DCComics #ActionComics #Superman #WarworldSaga
    https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...c-t012Z5NApHgA

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Chester Black, always cracking wise 'till the end. Hope he sticks around in some capacity after this arc.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

That said, I'm kinda doing a long-game version of this with Superman's rogue's gallery right now. We've tried to add a lot of depth and dimension to Mongul, and we're about to do that with another classic villain very soon. It's just longer-form storytelling
    https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/..._c5uIc7IKgx9Hg

In reference to someone asking if we could ever get a bunch of one shots for Superman Rogues the way Batman’s Rogues are getting. Metallo soon baby!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Tedesco was nominated for an Eisner for best cover artist on Action Comics. Well deserved.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...FQNU8oMFIHV14w
    So: there was some noise earlier about #Superman being a colonizer/Warworld being Iraq in current #ActionComics. I’m confident readers already know that's untrue, but with all the ruckus that followed, I think it’s worth a few minutes to talk about what Action actually is. Thread

Also: tons of people have been super supportive today, but sincerely, there’s absolutely no need to pile on anyone, I’m just taking a moment to clarify my own take on Superman and Action Comics. I’d like us all to walk away friends. Hashtag What Would Superman Do. (2/ )

This isn't just about today, but FYI saying comments LIKE those expose an almost cartoonish bias re: my work. Yes I am currently active duty, but even if your assumptions about my views were NOT wrong: I don’t use my work as a delivery system for that stuff. I’m a storyteller. 3/

Reading or hearing that I’m a soldier, and then proclaiming to Twitter that my work is problematic, dropping little “consider the writer” comments, making super simplistic and reach-y parallels, etc. is not the thoughtful, progressive move that you think it is. There are 4/

well over a million of us in the U.S. Armed Forces. If you think we all have the same values, I don’t know what to say to you. It is an extremely large and EXTREMELY diverse group. The people I work with directly every week are women, men, gay, straight, NB, trans, all 5/

ethnicities, read and pray and love and vote every kinda way. If you read “active duty army” and think you’ve got me figured out, you are big wrong. Action Comics has NOTHING to do with my (or your) feelings on U.S. or global politics. 6/

Sidenote: IF, perchance, you’re using my Captain America miniseries as evidence that my stories have military, patriotic, or (I fucking dare you) nationalist leanings, know this: Marvel asked me to do a 3-issue Empyre: Cap tie-in in which Cap leads the world’s armies 7/

(S.H.I.E.L.D. was off the table, I asked) against the Cotati, whose sole purpose on Earth was to wipe out all sentient life on Earth. That story was not a debate or a clash of ideologies. It was a super comicky event tie-in about the would-be end of the human race, with 8/

magic, laser guns, and a giant plant monster. The “mission statement” for the mini was super clear, and we told a story we’re proud of, one that accomplished a very specific part of a much larger story by Al Ewing.

One admission: even though Action Comics/the Warworld Saga 9/

has nothing to do with politics or the Army, I admit: it WAS inspired by real-life experiences, although weirdly I didn’t realize it until I was pretty deep into it. The culture that Mongul has built on Warworld was heavily inspired by what I’ve seen doing anti-human 10/

trafficking work in Baltimore. As most creatives can attest, the things you care about tend to come out in your work, intentionally or not.

If you’ve been reading Action Comics, you know that a HUGE aspect of Warworld culture is the chains they wear. The real-life 11/

trafficking victims I know are haunted by a deep bond with, loyalty to, and even love for their traffickers, and that can continue even after they get out (for the fortunate few who do). I came to think of it as an invisible chain, one that’s not only difficult to remove, but 12/

one that they themselves value, are proud of, and will fight tooth and nail to protect. It’s the only thing they have left, and when a trafficking victim perceived that we were trying to come between them and their pimp, we were NOT welcome. 13/

Anti-human trafficking work is insanely hard and frustrating because often the victims don’t want your help, at least not at first. You work hard, you fill your head to bursting with painful information, you try to find people, and for months it feels like you’re just not 14/

doing a goddamn bit of good for anyone. THAT’s what the Warworld Saga is about. Mongul’s warzoons and most of the other slaves on Warworld hate Superman, but they’re not the enemy... they’re the reason he’s there. Mongul alone is the enemy, but they’re ALL fighting him. 15/

The Warworld Saga asks the question that kept me awake and depressed and enraged for years: how do you fight a battle like that? 16/

In Action Comics #1, Superman was named “the Champion of the Oppressed.” He is the manifestation of compassion and humility. The current iteration of Mongul is his perfect antithesis: an antigalactic slaver who commands a planet of conquered slaves who have been conditioned 17/

through years of abuse and propaganda to worship him. He’s the anti-Superman.

Today's statement I want to address most is the one that the current Superman frames colonialism as “good actually because it saves the savages.” I don’t know where to begin with this, but here’s 18/

two things: first, saving people from slavery and death is not colonialism. Second: some people actually DO need rescuing, that does NOT make them less than us, and it sure as hell doesn’t make them “savages.” Superman’s not there to spread a nation’s influence or to make a 19/

trade deal. This is a story about heroes, about the BEST of us. Superman does not look down on the people who need him. He sees himself as LESS than us, not more. 20/

Those are my thoughts on Superman, for the moment, and on Action Comics. I hope I didn’t get too overshare-y but we (my co-creators, editorial and me) are telling a story we care so, so deeply about, and I don’t want it misrepresented. As always, monumental thanks to all the 21/

readers who have been so supportive of the book this whole time, please keep spreading the word! It’s always deeply appreciated. Action Comics #1043 and the 2022 Action Comics Annual both hit shelves this month, very much hope you dig. Truth and Justice ������ 22/end
    Saw that “colonizer” take myself and the craziest thing about is the guy who came up with it later admitted he wasn’t even reading Action! Others too have just done a lot of bad faith readings of the work simply because of his soldier roots (and Tom King is another guy who gets this a lot). It’s so wild to me the way people will just make entire reviews of works and authors without even reading them. Twitter is just pure stupidity and frankly I wouldn’t be sad if the whole site dies off, it’s easily as bad as tumblr was.

Some people got mad then that PKJ responded but I am baffled at them too. Given Twitter’s tendency to rush to hashtag campaigns, you pretty much need to nip that in the bud or else it will fester and spread and soon you’ll have a bunch of people claiming you’re a war criminal and demanding DC fire you.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

As much as i would like to side with pkj on the matter(world building is simply great).Superman is written with perspective that he is some savior..That is seriously a problem..Clark isn't written like a champion.his gladiator screams some moral superiority that can't be proven and paternalism That simply irks..That's not a gladiator...That's knight on his mission and burden.This isn't action comics #1 superman.You cannot write superman with that same mindset and expect people to see a gladiator and champion.

A champion is himself in chains..He is no better than the people he champions and he is one of them.Compassion is shown to others who are beneath you .You don't show compassion to your own people.Do you show compassion to your family or do you love them?You write superman through savior lens..You are bound to get criticism.Even the authority,the people with differences of opinions with clark..A rag tag group of outlaws where taken to background with less to no importance..So that clark could go around doing his whatever he is doing.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"