Page 5 of 375 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t think undoing everything is in the cards man, not with Bendis poised to take over JL it looks like. I don’t think Jon is going to die or be deaged any time soon.
    Oh I don't think they'd really kill him off. That's what I meant by seemingly. One of those endings where someone makes a sacrifice, everyone thinks it was fatal but they survived and are lost somewhere. De-aging I doubt too. I'm just thinking that the event to save Clark will probably fall to Jon and that he'll make a big gesture to do it. Heck maybe he just gives up his powers or something. I do think the secret ID is 100% going back in the box though, just a question of when, and to me the ending of a storyline as big as Johnson's making it sound will be place to do that.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Waid or someone else, yeah.
    If there is a Black Label series with Waid or King at helm, PKJ will stay though. And maybe Jon WILL replace Clark, at least for some time.
    Maybe, DC will test PKJ first. If he brings sales and positive reviews, he'll stay for the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    And what's the point of that? They are clearly focusing on young authors, while top writers are moving more towards Black Label. Waid, if he took a book, would clear the house himself without much difficulty, he doesn't need someone to do it.
    Yeah, I know. Just speculating.

Spectacular Member

Not thrilled with this. I want the Bendis run wiped out.

Spectacular Member

What's the point of keeping teen Jon when Connor is hanging around? Do they really need 2 Superboys?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Damn, this is fantastic news. I might actually check some of this out. This first story sounds interesting. Hopefully he builds off of what Bendis laid down.

I know a lot of you wanted Waid, but that highkey wouldn't interest me in the slightest.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-16-2020 at 12:11 PM.

Well....it doesnt sound terrible. But nothing has me excited either. Normally I'd be glad to have a book that puts more focus on Jon. But this ain't a version of Jon that I'm particularly fond of so....Yeah. I'd much prefer he just...not be around and all the focus stay on Clark. As always, I'll give this run a chance. I don't say I dislike something unless I've actually read it . And I could end up liking it. But as it stands now, this looks like another one I'm gonna end up sitting out on.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Maybe, DC will test PKJ first. If he brings sales and positive reviews, he'll stay for the long run..
    Now that I think about it: where does the rumor about Waid or King on Black Label come from?
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like they've updated them well enough that I'm happy keeping them, but that's just me.
    this is my thought process,why does clark wear the suit?are you telling me that his mom made clark a suit like that(underpants and all) so that he can go outside and beat up criminals/corrupt people(the aw!shucks thing can get pretty baad)?are you telling me s stands for hope in krypton?(a bit too hamfisted and over the top)How does a pair glasses act as successful disguise?how is clark justified in his fraud at daily planet,regarding his adventure as vigilante superman?does he do the "glasses" clumsy act/absurd joke or not? if he does,how is he justified in cheating people?if he ain't,why are these guys so damn stupid to not see through it,in a realistic and serious manner?how is the triangle with lois justified?so on and so forth.Superman falls apart for me.Atleast with this,It's essentially the legend of superman as viewed through the lens of his son.So ,it's a distraction.S means hope cause his dad created that feeling in people as their champion.With this,clark's fashion sense can be seen as a deeply meaningful attire of a bygone era with a symbolism of strength.And yet,we can move past that and keep the meaning of strongman suit.Since,the secret id doesn't exist in present.There is no need for explaining that to that extent.It can be simply treated as an alien hiding amongst people without going into the nitty gritty.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-16-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

So they aren't going to undo all or even any any of Bendis' awful decisions? Well that pretty much kills any interest in the book for a lot of people I'd imagine, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Now that I think about it: where does the rumor about Waid or King on Black Label come from?
    Waid talked on a podcast about having started reading all Superman comics in chronological order (starting with the Superboy adventures) for a project. It led to speculation of him writing SM.

I dunno about King. Seems it's from some podcast talk too.

Waid talked on a podcast about having started reading all Superman comics in chronological order (starting with the Superboy adventures) for a project. It led to speculation of him writing SM.

I dunno about King. Seems it's from some podcast talk too.
    King is from a recent Word Balloon podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000493255252

BANNED

Welp. Well, as is typical, it doesn’t seem to have registered with a lot of people how low key sexist, problematic and patronizing this interview is so I’ll fall on the sword and point it out. Though I imagine at least a few of you did pick up on it and just didn’t comment on it.

Ok where do we start?

The continued problem of male writers forgetting that Jon Kent has a MOTHER is, without question, a continued issue of misogyny within the Superman office and in the way people discuss this character. There is a full paragraph here—a FULL PARAGRAPH!!!!—where both the interviewer and Philip discuss Jon Kent and his impact and how important he is and Lois isn’t mentioned one time. Not even a casual name drop. It’s like she doesn’t exist. As if Jon is a product of his father only and the woman who birthed him is no inconsequential that it doesn’t even matter. Folks, it shouldn’t have to be continually pointed out here how deeply not ok that is in the year 2020.

I like Jon Kent. I’m all in favor of him existing and in favor of using him (wisely) and exploring these dynamics but doing so at the expense of his mother wherein she is quite literally painted out of the picture (regulated to a random back up story every now and then? Who the heck knows? Philip didn’t mention her name one time) is not ok. This is not ok to do to her to basically treat her as a uterus to birth a kid and then push her off page like she doesn’t exist.

The subsequent convo where Philip talks about how vital Jon is to Superman because he helps you empathize with him as father etc is equally as problematic. Not because it’s not true. I absolutely understand why someone like Philip who has a young son himself would feel new empathy for Superman as a father. The problem comes again into how women play into this because if you can feel humanity and empathy for Superman as a father but you didn’t or don’t feel that same empathy for him as a loving husband....it says a lot and none of it is good. This is the kind of stuff we mean when we talk about why it’s so frustrating to see male writers continually struggle to connect to female characters to the point that we can feel their apathy on the page.

I am not trying to be contrary here nor am I trying to ruin the excitement of those who are ready for a fresh direction. I’m not impressed in the slightest with these big plans of a “new cast.” Who the heck cares about a new cast? It’s lazy. It means he isn’t interested in committing to developing the characters Superman actually has so it’s easier to just create new ones they can take credit for. Again (and this is true in Wonder Woman books too) inventing new female characters that men can take credit for and imprint upon is not an excuse for ignoring developed women in a franchise. It’s a CHEAT.

Guys, it’s 2020. Almost 2021. It is not a secret that DC Comics and again, the Superman office in particular has a notorious problem with employing women, treating women fairly and that it has directly translated for many years to the way women are treated in the fictional and editorial realm on the page. An interview like this about a grand new direction for Superman, that mentions Jon a TON, in the cultural climate we are in where the new writer doesn’t mention Lois Lane at all by name one time—even as Jon’s mother—is not acceptable and not ok. This is not Rocket science, guys. This is bare minimum effort and he couldn’t do it.

Not a good sign and it deserves to be called out by more people than just me as a woman doing it. Obviously not a full indictment of what he will or won’t do in the books because ...who knows? No idea. But as an interview promoting a new direction for a franchise literally launching a TV show with Lois’s name in the TITLE in February....this is not a great start.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 12-16-2020 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    King is from a recent Word Balloon podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000493255252
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll take your word for it, no way I'm going to listen 2,5 hours of podcast.

Thanks for the clarification. I'll take your word for it, no way I'm going to listen 2,5 hours of podcast.
    Lol it’s actually relatively early in the podcast iirc. But I get ya. We won’t be getting an announcement until we’re a bit in to 2021 though.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    As am I.

My biggest fear is out a desire not to offend Bendis (who the company has invested a greater deal in) that Editorial has mandated his changes remain in an effect which would be a disastrous handicap for the incoming creative team. I hope I'm wrong.
    Just because you’re not creative enough to think of stories that follow up on Bendis’ changes doesn’t make it a handicap for the people (or person rather) actually writing the books.