Page 264 of 376 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274314364 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 5626

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    See that's the beginning of the inconsistencies there. The Marvel approach was that they aren't really gods so much as technically advanced beings. I think the divergence between the Marvel approach versus the DC approach is sadly where everything went awry. And after Flashpoint DC seemed to wholeheartedly go full Marvel in its approach which is sad.
    I think you’re confusing the MCU take as the Marvel Comics take. In the comics they’ve never been anything but actual deities. The only group that Kirby explicitly designed as “not gods, merely advanced aliens mistaken for gods” was the Eternals. The New Gods aren’t just aliens, after all their power comes from the divine God-like Source.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think you’re confusing the MCU take as the Marvel Comics take. In the comics they’ve never been anything but actual deities. The only group that Kirby explicitly designed as “not gods, merely advanced aliens mistaken for gods” was the Eternals. The New Gods aren’t just aliens, after all their power comes from the divine God-like Source.
    The MCU is a nonfactor for me. I was more thinking of the books.

Yeah Marvel comics have flip flopped on whether groups like the Asgardians are actual gods or if they're just powerful aliens, but they seem to have settled in recent years to approaching them as legitimate divinities. Thor's God Butcher arc, arguably one of his best in the modern Age, literally starts with him answering an alien girl's prayer and learning that the gods of her world were killed.

With the New Gods, when reading Kirby's first Fourth World omnibus, I got the feeling that they were "powerful aliens" in name only. They were immortal, they had godlike power and direct connections to divinity via the Source, but they weren't omniscient or All-Powerful or divine beings in and of themselves. Essentially, they were just like all the other gods in comics except they didn't get the official title.

I think the idea that the New Gods are literal divinities who interact with the physical universe through avatars that are essentially just "power aliens" is a pretty solid approach and translation.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Starlin didn’t turn Orion into a bigot. He and the New Gods always looked down on Forager and the bugs. There’s a scene in Kirby’s run where Orion is disgusted that a lowly bug would address him by name. Kirby showed the darker side of these characters who saw themselves as perfect gods.

Wow, that's very different to Young Justice's Forager.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Wow, that's very different to Young Justice's Forager.
    YJ redesigned the Bugs and Forager to be more bestial in look.

Their classic appearance is more "People in suits" kind of aliens type deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah Marvel comics have flip flopped on whether groups like the Asgardians are actual gods or if they're just powerful aliens, but they seem to have settled in recent years to approaching them as legitimate divinities. Thor's God Butcher arc, arguably one of his best in the modern Age, literally starts with him answering an alien girl's prayer and learning that the gods of her world were killed.

With the New Gods, when reading Kirby's first Fourth World omnibus, I got the feeling that they were "powerful aliens" in name only. They were immortal, they had godlike power and direct connections to divinity via the Source, but they weren't omniscient or All-Powerful or divine beings in and of themselves. Essentially, they were just like all the other gods in comics except they didn't get the official title.

I think the idea that the New Gods are literal divinities who interact with the physical universe through avatars that are essentially just "power aliens" is a pretty solid approach and translation.
    If that is true then they are closer to Divinities than in prior interpretations as with Olympians and Valhallans they cannot actually descend to the 3 dimensional plane without destroying it. There remain a handful of other differences. I haven't seen the avatar idea for them in any books as yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I haven't seen the avatar idea for them in any books as yet though.
    I think Morrison introduced the idea in Final Crisis or something. It's been followed up on a few times since then, like when Flash became the new host for the Black Racer, or that new Lightray from PKJ's Action, who definitely isn't a redheaded white human male.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Morrison introduced the idea in Final Crisis or something. It's been followed up on a few times since then, like when Flash became the new host for the Black Racer, or that new Lightray from PKJ's Action, who definitely isn't a redheaded white human male.
    I don’t think Lia-Lightray has been established to have any connection to New God Lightray.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

At the moment its unclear what exactly is Lia-Lightray's deal

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    YJ redesigned the Bugs and Forager to be more bestial in look.

Their classic appearance is more "People in suits" kind of aliens type deal.
    The Bug colonies of New Genesis were created after one of the wars with Apokolips. Basically New Genesis was hit with a chemical weapons attack and the bugs mutated from “micro life”. they are actual humanoid bug people. Forager is the only one who wears a costume to look more like a bug. Kirby implies that Forager was actually from the floating city of New Genesis but was raised among the bugs. The raised by wolves scenario. I think he’s a great character and I loved the Allred mini series they did a few years back.

Here’s hoping he shows up when the New Gods appear in Action.

Last edited by Robotman; 10-05-2022 at 08:29 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Ah!the old mowgli plot..But,this time jackasses are shown to be the new gods.And the kid chooses to be with the bugs.Taking a piss on the colonial crap in the original.Love you kirby(taking into the account it being not the intentional..But,still it's a welcome change.)
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The Bug colonies of New Genesis were created after one of the wars with Apokolips. Basically New Genesis was hit with a chemical weapons attack and the bugs mutated from “micro life”. they are actual humanoid bug people. Forager is the only one who wears a costume to look more like a bug. Kirby implies that Forager was actually from the floating city of New Genesis but was raised among the bugs. The raised by wolves scenario. I think he’s a great character and I loved the Allred mini series they did a few years back.

Here’s hoping he shows up when the New Gods appear in Action.

Oooh Allred, thats an awesome artist

https://www.dc.com/blog/2022/10/06/d...nkId=184432047

PKJ is going to be involved in the upcoming Lazarus Planet event which Waid and Yang are the head writers of!

Power Girl .

Also Jon is now Superman Blue .

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Also Jon is now Superman Blue .
    Creatively bankrupt.