Page 221 of 375 FirstFirst ... 121171211217218219220221222223224225231271321 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,315 of 5625
    Astonishing Member

This sounds like that person doesn't understand what the word "coloniser" actually means, speaking as a person whose country was colonised by the British and Dutch.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...FQNU8oMFIHV14w

Saw that “colonizer” take myself and the craziest thing about is the guy who came up with it later admitted he wasn’t even reading Action! Others too have just done a lot of bad faith readings of the work simply because of his soldier roots (and Tom King is another guy who gets this a lot). It’s so wild to me the way people will just make entire reviews of works and authors without even reading them. Twitter is just pure stupidity and frankly I wouldn’t be sad if the whole site dies off, it’s easily as bad as tumblr was.

Some people got mad then that PKJ responded but I am baffled at them too. Given Twitter’s tendency to rush to hashtag campaigns, you pretty much need to nip that in the bud or else it will fester and spread and soon you’ll have a bunch of people claiming you’re a war criminal and demanding DC fire you.
    Thanks for posting this, it was an interesting read and a well-reasoned and eloquent response by PKJ to this.

It's unfortunate that Twitter amplifies the worst elements of human discourse because that's what prompts users to engage with the app more, but I think it can sometimes lead to really wonderful moments like this wherein we get to see people express themselves in ways that give you a greater appreciation for something.

For every nitwit calling Superman a fascist because they think Injustice or The Boys is an accurate depiction of who the character is or calling him a cuck because they don't understand what cuckolding actually means, or any of the other misinformed nonsense you see online, there's always a few moments in which you get to see how Superman has genuinely made someone's life better.

I think being in regular contact with students helps me to never get bogged down in any of that too much, so my perception of the character has remained rooted in the child-like wonder that Christopher Reeve, the Fleisher cartoons, and, yes, even Henry Cavill always engenders in kids.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Colonisation-a paternalistic world view where the coloniser who believe they have the moral superiority so it is their "duty" to civilise the colonised.As these lesser cultures or nations have no capacity to change themselves,set a course for themselves that would lessen the suffering and towards progress(sarcasm) .Bring them culture,technology,even democracy..etc.In the garb of that feed your own pocket,your own ego and be merchantalists..On top of that,leave the country without actually changing anything,or providing much and in ruins...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

That take so clearly begins and ends with “PKJ is a soldier and the most recent American **** up was the Iraq War where we involved ourselves in a foreign country’s affairs, so a story of Superman traveling to a foreign place to ‘liberate’ the natives is clearly PKJ trying to write Iraq War propaganda”. If he wasn’t a soldier they wouldn’t be drawing that conclusion but his real life job prejudiced many against him from the start. And you know what? So be it.

But here’s the thing, you know what else could be seen as a parallel to Iraq? Clark going to Metropolis and becoming Superman in the first place. He’s not a Metropolis native, he’s from a place that’s as different from Metropolis as can be. He doesn’t know the culture of the city, he doesn’t know the people there. Nobody asked him to become Superman or to “save” them, people were genuinely fine with Lex Luthor running the show even though Lex stomped all over them at his pleasure. But hey Lex brought a lot of technological improvements to Metropolis, not too dissimilar to how Baghdad under Saddam was a much more safe place to live prior to the USA invasion. Superman just decided that he didn’t like the way things were run in Metropolis and he was going to do a little regime change to make things more palatable for his own values. And didn’t Metropolis start getting supervillains and alien attacks and all that stuff after Superman showed up to save it? Sure seems like Superman destabilized Metropolis like how America destabilized Iraq!

My point is that this line of argument is just as dishonest as the “Batman is a rich trust fund brat who could solve Gotham’s problems with money but doesn’t because he’s got a hard on for beating up the poor and mentally ill”. It’s a refusal to engage with the premise in any real way. Metropolis’ problems - and Warworld’s - can’t be solved with a harsh journalist article or by petitioning the United Nations. You know why? Because they’re not real. They’re not analogous to any kind of real situation no matter how “realistic” some stories may be. Supervillains aren’t real and they can’t be solved with real world logic.

If Superman going to help a foreign people/culture is colonialism or a neocon wet dream, then any story about Superman helping anyone outside of Midwest America or Kryptonians is that too. Even then that accusation doesn’t fit because the Phaelosians are Kryptonians! They are “his people”, and he’s been trapped in the same situation as them for months, learning their culture and gaining their respect, he had to prove himself to Kryl-Ux that’s the whole point! It’s why this story has gone for so long and isn’t just Superman solving Warworld’s problems in 4 issues and the equivalent of an afternoon! He understands their situation now and can be their champion because he’s working with them. You know what story I see being a big part of the Warworld Saga? Moses and the Israelite slaves in Egypt. That to me is a much better comparison to what’s going on here.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The act itself is neither in question nor of the essense.It can be moral or otherwise.Here it might be portrayed as such.The lense through which the act is portrayed is.The writer portrays clark with an air of moral superiority,Which is in question.(i wouldn't even blame the writer for it.. honestly it embedded in how the character is portrayed now)As if his morality is the morality and no other.I can agree to an act ,but i can hate the intent.

Metropolis in ac#1 was his home.His people where the little guys living in Metropolis.Superman's motive wasn't to save anyone.Moreover,if it wasn't clark someone else would do the same things clark would and they bloody do..Maybe in a better or more efficient way.Heck! Clark's actions itself is seen through ambiguous light.He just wants to do the right thing though,and his intent is that.Even though his action can be wrong.He would put his best effort.This is something people can handle.This is relatable.

A savior is fundamentally a condesending concept..The savior puts himself above the one being saved.Because the assumption is that the one being saved won't get saved without the savior.A saviors motive is to save people.When it gets to a point of saving people from themselves it goes into all kinds of messy territory.

Critiqing or even reacting what you feel like is injustice is everyone's duty.The minute clark desides he is a role model and His motive became that.The minute he became metropolis's dad.He became no less problematic than lex himself.Why?cause superman can't be the solution for every single problem in the world..Just like aspirin has only a chance for curing headaches..It can't cure indigestion or something else.

While,I acknowledge the moses allegory might have been what they were going for with phalosians.Pholsian liberation is not personal for clark.It's just something he would do regardless(which is good in some case.not in other).The personal stake thereby goes away.A champion has a personal stake.For instance,black adam (moral or otherwise) has personal stake in how kahndaq turns out.

These things may not be real(metropolis,warworld,slum's of metropolis...etc).But,superman and his stories promote concepts,themes,troupes..etc.There are outdated concepts and themes that if we use to day will be met with various levels of disagreements.This holier than thou savior view and approach to superman sucks.

This is not a gladiator..this is a knight or savior on a mission doing his prayer and what not.this leads to the disagreements i talk about.

This is a gladiator and champion..He is wearing the same clothes as the people.He is one of them..He is just in the forefront of action is all.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-20-2022 at 03:32 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

This is a gladiator and champion..He is wearing the same clothes as the people.He is one of them..He is just in the forefront of action is all.
    Isn't that what ultimately is happening in this arc? Clark rode in trying to save the day, got his ass handed to him and is now "one of them" leading the rebellion. It seems if you are going to look at it through that lens its more akin to subversion of the trope. War World isn't a civilization to be colonized. It's a collection of colonized and destroyed civilizations too.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

I had no idea that PKJ was a soldier. Many thanks to him for his service! I was against the wars in the middle east as much as anyone but put blame where it belongs; those soldiers didn't run stupid and pointless wars, they were just the tools used to carry it out. If a hammer breaks your favorite thing, you don't blame the hammer, you blame the person swinging it. And in any case, soldiers like PKJ put their lives on the line, whether they're there due to patriotism or just because they wanted college money. Until you've done the same? Shut the **** up, you've no right to judge and no gods damn clue what soldiering is actually like.

And I'm impressed he's done anti-trafficking work. My wife's job has dealt with that and it is a gods damned nightmare. My respect for PKJ increases considerably. That's heroic work.

I find it ridiculous that anyone would read this story and think "colonizer" or "savior." Some people really, really need an education. Or maybe they just need to stop letting their own biases twist everything around until it fits the narrative in their head.

In any case, PKJ is writing a damn fine comic and that's all I really want from him, but reading that thread from him has increased my respect for the man quite a bit.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

ACTION COMICS #1046
    Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON
    Backup story art by DAVID LAPHAM
    Cover by LUCIO PARRILLO
    Variant cover by LEE BERMEJO
    Swimsuit variant cover by STANLEY “ARTGERM” LAO
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 8/23/22
    The climactic battle for the fate of Warworld is fast approaching, and the Authority is finally reunited…but no longer as allies! As Superman fights to retrieve a mythical ancient weapon that can free the people of Warworld, Natasha Irons, Midnighter, and O.M.A.C.
    fight for the souls of their own teammates. Meanwhile, in the Fortress of Solitude: it’s all hands on deck as the entire Super-family joins forces to recover the Genesis fragment from one of Superman’s earliest classic enemies!

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 05-20-2022 at 09:27 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    ACTION COMICS #1046
    Cover by LUCIO PARRILLO
    ON SALE 8/23/22
    The climactic battle for the fate of Warworld is fast approaching, and the Authority is finally reunited…but no longer as allies! As Superman fights to retrieve a mythical ancient weapon that can free the people of Warworld, Natasha Irons, Midnighter, and O.M.A.C.
    fight for the souls of their own teammates. Meanwhile, in the Fortress of Solitude: it’s all hands on deck as the entire Super-family joins forces to recover the Genesis fragment from one of Superman’s earliest classic enemies!

I've always enjoyed the art work of Parrillo. Don't think I've seen him do John Henry before...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Action Comics #1043 Preview
    Writer: Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    Artist: Riccardo Federici and Will Conrad
    Backup Writer: Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    Backup Artist: Will Conrad

BANNED

This type of criticism shows the incredible work that DC has done with the image of Superman, it is ridiculous that the illegal immigrant whose greatest enemy is a billionaire businessman is seen as a walking advertisement for the United States, it also shows why the character sinks every day more, whatever he does, he is always criticized. The day they leave Superman alone and just focus on the story is the day Superman can be reborn. I wonder why characters like Batman or Iron Man don't get this kind of criticism, when they are a much more obvious target and because of the comics and movies they currently have a lot more influence.

Loving the return of John Henry. About damn time!

Kinda weird seeing him with hair. Don't recall him ever being anything but bald. But still! John! Very happy to see him.

Actually all those covers look great, though I'm not feeling the swimsuit stuff. Never saw the point of it with Sports Illustrated, definitely don't see the appeal with drawings of fictional people. But I hope the folks who go for that sorta thing are getting what they want out of it.

@NaVi: Clark is the godfather and king of the genre. He has always been a target for any and every complaint leveled at superheroes (if not fiction in general), even when he doesn't actually deserve it, even when other characters are just as guilty, or more so, than he is.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    ACTION COMICS #1046
    Cover by LUCIO PARRILLO
    ON SALE 8/23/22

So, I've been thinking. Bullets shouldn't bounce off Superman, rather they should just fall. Clark's skin really shouldn't be hard at all, bullets are just too weak to penetrate. It's be like trying to punch a wall, then stab the wall, then shot the wall with a gun. The fist is weak, the wall knife can leave a mark, but the gun penetrate the wall. I think this idea opens up a lot of room for Clark's vulnerability.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Action Comics #1043 Preview
    Writer: Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    Artist: Riccardo Federici and Will Conrad
    Backup Writer: Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    Backup Artist: Will Conrad

The tide...it's a-turning!

I thought 1047 would be the final issue, but since it’s not I’m guessing they’ll go all the way to either 1049, so that 1050 can be a big celebration issue, or 1050 will be the final issue of the Warworld Saga so as to have the Saga end on a milestone number.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/