Mighty Member

Default Would you enjoy a more comedic Superman series based on silver age comics?

Superman has a rich history, and the character can lead to absurdity. While we definitely like to see more serious takes on the character there was a whole different direction in years past that in the decades since we would be in on the joke. Would you watch a comedy series based on silver age comics like “Superman’s Girlfriend Lois Lane”? Think of something in the vein of the Adam West Batman series or the animated “Batman the Brave and the Bold”, would something similar for Clark be something to be embraced or avoided?
    IMG_8395.jpg
    IMG_8400.jpg
    IMG_8394.jpg

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I think people wouldn't enjoy Lois Lane (or every woman in the universe) trying Superman to marry or expose Clark as Superman every single episode.

Are we talking animation? Because absolutely, I would love a Silver Age cartoon.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Depending on the medium and execution, sure .

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I think a somewhat comedic/silly take live action could work depending on how it was written and when it took place. If they wanted to make it 60s/70s they'd have to be careful not to lean too heavily into nostalgia jokes. For example, That 70s Show was pretty successful but That 80s Show was botched so badly it barely lasted a few episodes. Or, just make it modern and keep the zaniness.

I feel like capturing and/or repeating the vibe of Adam West Batman is a fools errand though. They’d have to have their own spin on it overall.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't really like the wink nudge style of say, Batman '66. Writing as the old Superman comics were written and drawn in the era of Dorfman and Bates sure
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I can see an animated movie with this theme working, but not something ongoing.

A comedic Superman series? Yes! Comedy has usually been a part of Superman to some degree or another and more series emphasizing that sounds good to me.

Based on the Silver Age? Meh...I feel like Silver Age style comedy is a bit one note. "Look how goofy this is!" isn't really an infinite well of humor...not for me anyway. Especially when you're completely expecting it, which is certainly the case with Silver Age based media.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I can see an animated movie with this theme working, but not something ongoing.
    Yes, this would make sense, as just having one movie would make the humor have less of a chance to get old.

Astonishing Member

Already been done. It's called One Punch man and yes it's very successful approach.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Spectacular Member

Silver Age Superman was not, with exceptions, a comedy series; it was dead-serious. A series based on the silver age wouldbe serious. During the late forties, though, it was a sitcom.
    Or do you mean a parody comic? Then the answer is no, there's too much "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, can you believe anybody takes this seriously?"-vibe to any current DC humor comic. It's worse than classic Marvel.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Superman has a rich history, and the character can lead to absurdity. While we definitely like to see more serious takes on the character there was a whole different direction in years past that in the decades since we would be in on the joke. Would you watch a comedy series based on silver age comics like “Superman’s Girlfriend Lois Lane”? Think of something in the vein of the Adam West Batman series or the animated “Batman the Brave and the Bold”, would something similar for Clark be something to be embraced or avoided?
    IMG_8395.jpg
    IMG_8400.jpg
    IMG_8394.jpg
    Brave and the Bold isn't comedy; it's fun.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Already been done. It's called One Punch man and yes it's very successful approach.
    OPM punches things. Between 1951-1971 Superman maybe punched like four dudes so I'm not sure of the particular connection

Quote Originally Posted by Filbert View Post
    Silver Age Superman was not, with exceptions, a comedy series; it was dead-serious. A series based on the silver age wouldbe serious. During the late forties, though, it was a sitcom.
    Or do you mean a parody comic? Then the answer is no, there's too much "wink-wink, nudge-nudge, can you believe anybody takes this seriously?"-vibe to any current DC humor comic. It's worse than classic Marvel.
    I mean in the inception of the medium, it's hard to say what made a comic without inherent humor. I agree that there was a maintained narrative with a fourth wall but it's hard to look at Lois gaining 200 pounds or a dinosaur named Paleomatzoball and argue for "dead serious."
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

I think a sitcom with Silver age details could work really well, but yeah, some characters would probably need to be modified more than others. Jimmy, for instance, could probably be adapted without any issue, while with Lois you'd probably have to either redefine her pursuit of Clark/Superman, or just make a Silver Age version of the more Action girl version fo the character.

Like... Maybe the joke is less "Proving he's Superman will make him marry me!" and instead it just becomes the way she and Clark flirt since she knows who he is, but finds it entertaining that he can avoid her proving it, and he enjoys being kept on his toes from more dangerous investigators. In a mildly cruder format, it could even be painted as a little kinky on their part.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP