Page 85 of 375 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 5625
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

From what we understand so far, yeah. It's why he says "....for now."
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    So he's still talking about the set-up phase? I got confused with the framing of the Earth/Space aspect as I remembered that being the framing of the ongoing status quo that this current stuff was supposed to set up. I'm relieved if I just misread. Forgive my annoyance, I know it gets irritating but I'm still hoping that one monthly will be to my speed. I'm not expecting 100% disconnected, I'm not trying to be that unwieldly.
    I mean I dunno if PKJ will be your thing but there’s definitely a bunch of Superman content coming out that should appeal to you. Either Superman ‘78, Batman/Superman, or Superman Blue & Red should give you something since Jon won’t be in any of them. PKJ specifically has said Action will be the Clark solo book, so while Jon will show up it will be more like Jurgens Action or Bendis first half of Action/second half of Superman where Jon isn’t the main focus and may not show up.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Bleeding Cool does a top ten bestseller list each week. Superman didn't make it this week! Was that an anomaly in the few shops they aggregated, or is this run DOA? The actual sales estimates from Comichron will make for interesting reading, I think.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/guil...stseller-list/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Bleeding Cool does a top ten bestseller list each week. Superman didn't make it this week! Was that an anomaly in the few shops they aggregated, or is this run DOA? The actual sales estimates from Comichron will make for interesting reading, I think.
    https://bleedingcool.com/comics/guil...stseller-list/
    Technically, they measure different things. The Comichron sales estimates measure how many books are sold by distributors to comic shops, while the Bleeding Cool bestseller lists how many of those books already in comic shops are ultimately sold to the consumer. As such, even putting aside the limited sample size the Bleeding Cool list represents, there is still ample reason why the two pieces of data might not match. For example, a comic shop might have order tons of copies thinking the new creative team will sell, only to discover not many people actually want to buy them. This would likely be reflected in the titles numbers in future months. If a book doesn't find an audience at a shop, the shop will order less copies down the road.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Action Comics 2021 Annual

written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    art by Siya Oum
    cover by Scott Godlewski
    variant cover by Valentine De Landro
    ON SALE 6/29/2021
    $5.99 US | 48 PAGES | FC | DC
    card stock variant cover $6.99 US | FC | DC

The return of Future State’s House of El! It’s time to head back to tomorrow, as Superman’s descendants face a threat from today. This special tale connects to “Warworld Rising” as the actions of Clark Kent in the present reverberate, leaving long-lasting changes...and a deadly threat for the House of El to reckon with. Can Brandon Kent, the Superman of his era, stop the danger from hurting the next generation? Also, for those wanting to know more about Brandon’s relationshop with Theand’r, the Tamaranean queen, prepare yourself for a little romance as well.

Action Comics #1032

written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson,
    Michael W. Conrad and Becky Cloonan
    art by Daniel Sampere and Michael
    Avon Oeming
    cover by Mikel Jańin
    variant cover by Julian Totino Tedesco
    ON SALE 6/22/2021
    $4.99 US | 40 PAGES | FC | DC
    card stock variant cover $5.99 US | FC | DC

“Warworld Rising,” part three! As the Superman family fights to keep the mysterious refugees alive, they find shocking answers about their lost colony. Meanwhile, Atlantis faces destruction by a host of supernaturally powerful sea kaiju, apparently created by the newfound “Warworld fragment”! As other world governments come to understand the devastating power Atlantis now possesses, tensions rise, and the threat of global war looms closer. As this goes on, back in Metropolis, the time-flung version of Midnighter digs deeper into Trojan’s dirty scheme.

Superman #32

written by Phillip Kennedy Johnson and
    Sean Lewis
    art by Scott Godlewski and Sami Basri
    cover by John Timms
    Pride card stock variant cover by David
    Talaski $5.99 US | FC | DC
    card stock variant cover by Inhyuk Lee
    $5.99 US | FC | DC
    ON SALE 6/8/2021
    $4.99 US | 40 PAGES | FC | DC

The end of “The One Who Fell”! Superman and Superboy were duped by the old divide-and-conquer routine, which is especially dangerous on a faraway planet where you can’t tell who your enemy is. As the Shadowbreed makes their big move, Superman discovers what happened to the friend who originally sent the distress beacon that lured him and his son across the galaxy. Let’s just hope it’s not an answer that came too late! Elsewhere, back home on Earth, Jimmy Olsen leads his misfit team on the hunt for the sinister Projectress.

Source: https://www.gamesradar.com/dc-june-2021-solicitations/
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 03-18-2021 at 01:20 PM.

Incredible Member

So, I'm assuming the guy at the front of the Annual cover is a reformed Pyrrhos. Story sounds good, but hinting at a romance between two members of the House of El... rubs me the wrong way, even if they're far enough in the future that they most likely don't share any close ancestors.

I was not expecting kaijus to be the big destabilizing factor mentioned in the previews solicits for Action Comics. The part about the origin of the refugees makes it sound like Superlad's theory of them being of Kryptonian origin may be correct.

The Superman book continues to be "Clark mentors Jon on being Superman, while finding evidence of the failure of his old way of doing things".

Wasn't expecting the Future State House of El to impact this run so soon, at least this directly in a kind of future forward sense. Huh.

Hey, Aquaman? Put a shirt on .

Glad PKJ is bringing back the House of El characters, they were one of the stronger points of Future State.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

What a nice surprise to see the House of El again! So this is Brandon Kent in his twilight years as Superman before handing it off to Ronan. I really liked what PKJ implied about Brandon and Ronan's relationship in House of El, so I can't wait to see Brandon in a more mentor role to Ronan. And I imagine this is supposed to parallel Clark and Jon (especially since Ronan is from Jon's line), and Future State showed both Ronan and Jon as the Supermen of their respective tomorrows. Noticed that Rowan wears Jon's S shield in her lantern construct rather than the classic S everyone else where. I could very easily read a whole book about this team/family. The dynamics and roles are so very clear and thought out.

YES! Fictional geopolitical conflicts using made up super nations in my Superman book!

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    So, I'm assuming the guy at the front of the Annual cover is a reformed Pyrrhos.
    I don't see Pyrhos anywhere on that cover. This takes place some time before Future State House of El, and Brandon Kent (the normal clothed El) is the Superman out in front. Pyrhos would be too young to be the older guy in the back too.

That actually looks like an old man version of Cyborg Superman. His jaw looks terminator-ish.

Story sounds good, but hinting at a romance between two members of the House of El... rubs me the wrong way, even if they're far enough in the future that they most likely don't share any close ancestors
    Theand’r is Barndon's daughter. The relationship they mean is Brandon and her mother.

The part about the origin of the refugees makes it sound like Superlad's theory of them being of Kryptonian origin may be correct.
    I'm 50/50 at this point. Khan-El (the big dude with the sword) is an El via his marriage to Alura, yet he's got super strength, flight, and clear durability...but no heat vision like every other El showed at some point in the story. And we have near confirmation that Khan is part of that alien race PKJ is showing in Action.

My guess right now is that they're basically the new (less redundant) Daximites in the sense that they're from an off shoot Kryptonian colony from thousands and thousands of years ago. So they have common ancestry. That's my guess anyway.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-18-2021 at 09:41 PM.

BANNED

I could care less about any of these people and I cared even less after reading Future State and realizing Kennedy even slipped a magical rape in there. Hard Pass.

Call me if he ever remembers Lois Lane exists. His marginalization and complete lack of interest in even mentioning her name is gross and unacceptable in 2021. A bunch of original characters as opposed to just committing to using Superman’s actual supporting cast is a real choice. It’s clearly fine with some of you and no hard feelings—to each their own. But I just do not care.

Can’t wait for someone else to take over these books in the future.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 03-19-2021 at 05:23 AM.

Astonishing Member

I want to be positive for once: I really like PKJ's style and I'd be seriously interested in a House of El ongoing.
    This is the kind of writer to whom I'd offer a Black Label Superman book in a heartbeat. I actually think he has found a way to make the Kal/Jon dynamic readable.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I want to be positive for once: I really like PKJ's style and I'd be seriously interested in a House of El ongoing.
    This is the kind of writer to whom I'd offer a Black Label Superman book in a heartbeat. I actually think he has found a way to make the Kal/Jon dynamic readable.
    Convienantly without Jon’s mother even part of the conversation. What a “positive” development for people who do nothing but crap all over Lois and would love nothing more than for her to vanish from sight or be lessened in importance.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 03-19-2021 at 06:05 AM.

Some more info on House of El's Brandon and Ronan...

"Brandon, from Future State: House of El. This one takes place a few years earlier, when Brandon is the Superman of Earth, coming up on the end of his run."

And in regards to Ronan: "Ronan is the protector of New Metropolis around this time, heir-apparent to the Superman name. And of course we see him ably wearing that mantle in Future State, and hopefully in more stories"

Also some clarification: "Warning: a miscommunication made its way into the solicit text, don’t be alarmed. Brandon is, in fact, still Theandr’s dad."

So this may be the story of Brandon's last ride as Superman before he passes it down? The parallels between Brandon/Ronan and Clark/Jon during this era are pretty noticeable. I kind of like that Metropolis has become sort of this "proving ground" for the next in line before they have to care for the whole Earth and beyond.

And really love how easily defined and thought out this "team" is. You have your born-a-dad leader in Brandon, your big dude who's really a teddy bear in Khan-El, the "please don't even attempt to f#%k with her" character in Alura, your lantern character in Rowan, and you optimistic-up-n-comer heir in Ronan. They even has different powers and equipment with Ronan and Brandon being the only two baselines, and that works because one is basically being mentored by the other. It a superhero team, family drama, and Arthurian legend all in one.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 03-19-2021 at 05:51 AM.

Incredible Member

Heh, I love how that implies FS SoM Jon big final commitment at the end of the story trascended in time as a mark of "not yet fully Superman".

I kid, I kid. Moving on, I was confused and misremembered Ronan as having Brandon's name, so I confused actual Brandon with Pyrrhos. That, and Pyrrhos was the only character in House of El that felt memorable to me (instead of a collection of shorthands that might ammount to an interesting character if more focus was given), so I was hoping to see the guy again.

Also, yeah, didn't mention it in my first post because I didn't want to address the back-ups, but indeed Lois isn't mentioned once again after being told by PKJ in the last interview that she'd appear in the back-ups. Thankfully June is the month Bendis' Checkmate finally comes out, so hopefully that'll be our oasis of Lois content in this PKJ-led era. Though I guess it's unfair to blame PKJ alone when there's no mention of her in the Red and Blue solicits or the Batman/Superman solicits either.