Page 95 of 376 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 5626
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    I can understand why you might say this but I’m sorry I gotta push back on this. For two reasons:

1) the idea that we should accept scraps so long as they aren’t outrageously offensive doesn’t gel with me because it just excuses writers being too intimidated to use her so they do the bare minimum. None of us want screw ups with Lois but in order to write her properly and really learn who she is you have to PRACTICE and you have to do it. Bendis started out rough with Lois but he did eventually find her voice. You can’t and don’t find her voice if you are too cowardly to TRY. I would rather a guy screw up but be committed to getting it right than not try at all.

2) The Superman and Lois: Ignition pitch has made Philip Kennedy Johnson look even worse in comparison. It’s an extremely creative pitch, a huge bombastic space idea and they creatively featured Lois. They were excited and thrilled to do so. And they clearly went in a bold off-Earth direction and yet didn’t use that as an excuse. Their creativity and care for Lois in contrast to PKJ is stark and frustrating. That he could go in this hard on Jon Kent and wasn’t creative enough to feature Lois at all speaks poorly of him in a 2021 landscape. She is his MOTHER.

I refuse to let him off the hook for this. He’s going to continue to get dragged about this because it’s not acceptable.
    Oh, I've posted in the past in this thread that I dislike Lois having a lesser role but at the end of the day, I can still be excited for PKJ's run. And I am all for people letting their voice be heard, but I don't see any reason to drag him further. Following his tweets and interviews, I'm sure he knows by now how much fans want to see Lois play a role in these books. Hopefully that will be reflected in his writing in future issues.

But again, if his intent is to just take Superman away from earth later in the year, is this even a argument worth having? I'd say the writer of Jon's upcoming run as the sole superman of earth should be berated on more on giving Lois a proper role than the current writer.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

The Lois thing that bugs me isn't so much the excuse that space is somewhere she can't go but that seemingly Jon is going to be on Earth and his dad is out in space (as we've come to understand it) so... how is she not his primary supporting cast? If we're taking Clark off the table to split focus on building the next Superman in Jon, Lois absolutely should be there as his primary support. That's the egregious issue. I can understand if you're doing big sci-fi gladiatorial stories in space as the A-plot, Lois may not fit into your plans, but how the goddamn hell doesn't she fit into her son's narrative in the B-plot or have one of her own? These are Superman books so she's supporting cast by default (albeit the most important member of it), but after this long the omission is particularly concerning.

It'd be one thing if Clark was shunted across the universe and the entire point was not showing Earth at all to have the reader feel as isolated from the people he loves as he does-- that's a creative choice and an interesting one, but we're getting Jon stories here alongside World of Metropolis so what's up.

I'm still in on the run and hoping for the best but currently that's the big sticking point for me.
    Last edited by Robanker; 04-12-2021 at 10:22 PM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    That's heart touching.It's kinda wierd.It's usually the side characters hyping the main character of a story like batman saying "clark is more human than i am" or whatever.It's great that is changed.The main character is the one hyping up the side character.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Oh, I've posted in the past in this thread that I dislike Lois having a lesser role but at the end of the day, I can still be excited for PKJ's run. And I am all for people letting their voice be heard, but I don't see any reason to drag him further. Following his tweets and interviews, I'm sure he knows by now how much fans want to see Lois play a role in these books. Hopefully that will be reflected in his writing in future issues.

But again, if his intent is to just take Superman away from earth later in the year, is this even a argument worth having? I'd say the writer of Jon's upcoming run as the sole superman of earth should be berated on more on giving Lois a proper role than the current writer.
    So wait we are getting a Jon solo run? Sorry if I’m behind in my information.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So wait we are getting a Jon solo run? Sorry if I’m behind in my information.
    The general theory is we will. We know PKJ is going to be on both Superman and AC's until his Superman event in September, then he'll then drop one of the books. The thought is that it'll be Superman, which will be focused on Jon as Earth's Superman while Clark is out in the universe at large going on adventures in AC. It's still very much a theory and nothing is confirmed with certainty, but with the way things have been shaping it seems pretty likely.

I never thought I'd say this, but the PKJ run so far feels just as bad as the Bendis run, if not WORSE. Probably worse, since he doesn't even have good art to prop up his weak writing like Bendis did. I don't know what's worse so far, PKJ's writing or Hester's art.

PKJ is the opposite of Bendis in that his storytelling is very compressed. First issue moved very quickly, recapped the basic gist of the previous era and then moved on into this new one. So far the Shadowbreed seem interesting, their ability to feed on light makes them an obvious threat to Kryptonians, and I’m sure the whole aliens nature is going to play a role. It’s a pretty obvious bit of foreshadowing meant to contrast the father and son who see themselves as rivals with Clark and Jon seeing themselves as partners (and Jon on the road to becoming co-Superman).

His voice for Clark is fine so far, leans more towards Tomasi’s loving Superdad, we’ll see how deep he plans to dig into Clark as a character. Overall Superman #30 was a lot stronger than the one with Hester I thought.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Yeah I'm definitely not getting a Bendis vibe from this, at all. And I can not stress how fucking wonderful that is. Still not too big on the story, itself, but the absolute last thing I would call it is poorly written.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I never thought I'd say this, but the PKJ run so far feels just as bad as the Bendis run, if not WORSE. Probably worse, since he doesn't even have good art to prop up his weak writing like Bendis did. I don't know what's worse so far, PKJ's writing or Hester's art.

Lmao not even close, Bendis run was a complete mess.
    The art I agree with.

Incredible Member

You guys have it exactly right. It's okay so far -- and "okay" will not continue getting my money for long -- but at least it's not Bendis.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The Lois thing that bugs me isn't so much the excuse that space is somewhere she can't go but that seemingly Jon is going to be on Earth and his dad is out in space (as we've come to understand it) so... how is she not his primary supporting cast? If we're taking Clark off the table to split focus on building the next Superman in Jon, Lois absolutely should be there as his primary support. That's the egregious issue. I can understand if you're doing big sci-fi gladiatorial stories in space as the A-plot, Lois may not fit into your plans, but how the goddamn hell doesn't she fit into her son's narrative in the B-plot or have one of her own? These are Superman books so she's supporting cast by default (albeit the most important member of it), but after this long the omission is particularly concerning.

It'd be one thing if Clark was shunted across the universe and the entire point was not showing Earth at all to have the reader feel as isolated from the people he loves as he does-- that's a creative choice and an interesting one, but we're getting Jon stories here alongside World of Metropolis so what's up.

I'm still in on the run and hoping for the best but currently that's the big sticking point for me.
    I think the answer to your question is truly as simple as he didn’t care about her so it didn’t occur to him to even bother and the Superman office is still so sexist and crappy that no one stepped in and was like “hey it looks kind of bad in 2021 if you basically exile Superman’s wife and mother of his child from the books, particularly if your focus is on giving him all these other future kids with random and can’t even be bothered to give her a back-up story.”

I think it’s really that simple. She doesn’t fit into any of his plans because he was careless, not prepared and sexist and no one in that God forsaken office stepped in to correct it. And now the fallout is that people keep asking where she is and he looks terrible bc it’s clear she barely crossed his mind and he just assumed (wrongly) that no one would care.

Doc’s been hinting he’s doing something Superman (or JL) related. Covers for the Sept event perhaps?

https://twitter.com/docshaner/status...542862338?s=21
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Doc’s been hinting he’s doing something Superman (or JL) related. Covers for the Sept event perhaps?

Doc drawing Superman is an auto-buy from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

Most likely just Strange Adventures.