Page 111 of 375 FirstFirst ... 1161101107108109110111112113114115121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,665 of 5625

Yeah I’m getting bored of the backups as well. At first I was excited to see some underserved Metropolis characters get some focus, but the plot isn’t gripping me. Should’ve put all these characters on the Special Crimes Unit under Sawyer and Atomic Skull, that would’ve made things more interesting.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah I’m getting bored of the backups as well. At first I was excited to see some underserved Metropolis characters get some focus, but the plot isn’t gripping me. Should’ve put all these characters on the Special Crimes Unit under Sawyer and Atomic Skull, that would’ve made things more interesting.
    Atomic Skull as an '80s cop is kind of awesome as far as ideas go.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Conceptually I should love these back ups, but I don't.

I'd liked it better if we focused on random people without powers living in Metropolis. Maybe even set it during different big moments in the Superman history? Like, what was the single mother of 3 who works at the grocery store doing during Death of Superman? How'd she break it to her kids? What was the 12 year old boy doing when Jon Kent first showed up as Superboy? Maybe they ended up going to the same school without even knowing? Brainiac's first attack, that time everyone got turned into dinosaurs for an afternoon? What were the normal people doing during that?

You're basically looking at a concept not dissimilar to the shows Black Mirror and You Tube's Weird City. It's normal people who live in a fantastic setting, and go about their dramas in it. You pepper in your occasional Z lister and some Daily Planet here and there, and boom you're got some pretty easy and potentially thoughtful and fun short stories/parables. All this while the city is being flashed out by the very nature of the stories.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 05-14-2021 at 03:45 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astro City but Metropolis is a great idea. I’d rather get a story like that in one of those Superman Anthologies than another story about Superman being friends with a bullied/terminally ill kid (no matter how those may tug at your heart strings).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I don't understand the people here.who cares about the planet,sawyer..etc.They are no where near relatable or speaks to the spirit of superman.Back ups are awesome i hope bibbo is part of jon's superman cast.Bibbo is the best superman support character since jimmy was introduced in the 50's.I hope bibbo is the one who takes jon in.Finally,a working class dude being the man of action .People are like "nope".well,dialy planet has become bland and boring.Goooo bibbo.hope you get more panel time.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Astro City but Metropolis is a great idea. I’d rather get a story like that in one of those Superman Anthologies than another story about Superman being friends with a bullied/terminally ill kid (no matter how those may tug at your heart strings).
    I've been noticing that every time people clamor for fleshing out the city/world more via C and Z list characters all we end up doing is fleshing them out alone rather than the world itself.

That's not to say you can't have them show up, but explore them in their roles as it pertains to the city as a whole. I'm far more fascinated by how the city reacted to getting shrunk by Brinaiac than I am about the particulars of Maggie's relationship.

And there's nothing wrong with Bibbo as an aspect of the city or as a character, but I'm just not interested in pumping the breaks to *just* settle on a 20th century caricature of a tough guy with a heart of gold sailor for what is meant to be a snapshot of a modern day major metropolitan city. There's more relevant and timely examples of working class people that I'd enjoy seeing, and I'd enjoy a wider range of perspectives than someone who is both a friend and fan of Superman. Same even goes for Jimmy in the context of these back ups. And make no mistake, Jimmy is easily one of my favorite fictional characters ever, but the opportunity these back ups provide is wasted devoting so much screen time to him and these 90s Z listers.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I would actually love for them to play with the format a bit when it comes to these back ups.

Like, I've long since had the idea that the within the world of the DCU Superman's death is something that wouldn't have *JUST* been reported on. It's something that would've been added to school textbooks, had tacky Lifetime movies made of it, and had countless "the science of" Discovery specials made about it. It's the Kennedy assassination, Challenger shuttle disaster, and 9/11 rolled into one.

So I'd take the speculative fun of that DC Anatomy book and do a documentary using eyewitness accounts, reenactments, and the science breakdown of how the indestructible man died.

I wouldn't stop there either. They Kent family have just become the Kennedys meets the Royal Family. You can use an issue or two of the back ups to do like an MSNBC documentary on the Kent family through second hand accounts, what Clark and Lois have told the world, and healthy educated speculation (than can be comically inaccurate).

If it's me doing this then I'd put the Kent Family documentary in the final issue before Son of Kal-El as a send off and speculation towards the future.

Ultimately my point is I shouldn't have to suffer through Gangbuster in my Superman comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Ultimately my point is I shouldn't have to suffer through Gangbuster in my Superman comic.
    We suffered it in the 90s you rapscallion and now it's your turn.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I've been noticing that every time people clamor for fleshing out the city/world more via C and Z list characters all we end up doing is fleshing them out alone rather than the world itself.

That's not to say you can't have them show up, but explore them in their roles as it pertains to the city as a whole. I'm far more fascinated by how the city reacted to getting shrunk by Brinaiac than I am about the particulars of Maggie's relationship.

And there's nothing wrong with Bibbo as an aspect of the city or as a character, but I'm just not interested in pumping the breaks to *just* settle on a 20th century caricature of a tough guy with a heart of gold sailor for what is meant to be a snapshot of a modern day major metropolitan city. There's more relevant and timely examples of working class people that I'd enjoy seeing, and I'd enjoy a wider range of perspectives than someone who is both a friend and fan of Superman. Same even goes for Jimmy in the context of these back ups. And make no mistake, Jimmy is easily one of my favorite fictional characters ever, but the opportunity these back ups provide is wasted devoting so much screen time to him and these 90s Z listers.
    Here, here!

These back-ups should have felt as essential to the book. As it is, they just feel like an excuse padding. And it's not that I don't want a longer book. Look what Thorne's doing on GL. Two artists tell one long story with a single writer. Or get a variety of great creators to do simple short stories. Pair up and comers with veterans. Tell them they can use any characters they want save for the main ones being used in Action and Superman. Let them go wild.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't understand the people here.who cares about the planet,sawyer..etc.They are no where near relatable or speaks to the spirit of superman.Back ups are awesome i hope bibbo is part of jon's superman cast.Bibbo is the best superman support character since jimmy was introduced in the 50's.I hope bibbo is the one who takes jon in.Finally,a working class dude being the man of action .People are like "nope".well,dialy planet has become bland and boring.Goooo bibbo.hope you get more panel time.
    Then why would you like these backups? They’ve turned Bibbo into a semi-celebrity writer for the Daily Planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Here, here!

These back-ups should have felt as essential to the book. As it is, they just feel like an excuse padding. And it's not that I don't want a longer book. Look what Thorne's doing on GL. Two artists tell one long story with a single writer. Or get a variety of great creators to do simple short stories. Pair up and comers with veterans. Tell them they can use any characters they want save for the main ones being used in Action and Superman. Let them go wild.
    I'm particularly dejected by these back-ups because with Jon taking over the book and role as Earth's protector, and essentially leaving space stuff to Clark (and likely Kara), it would've been nice to give the young man a running start in terms of world building.

The reason Jon finally being back on Earth in the 21st century is so powerful as an idea is because since he was 10 he's already seen and done so much outside of Earth and the 21st century. THIS is his final frontier that's been hanging over his head for years. So going into that it would've been nice to present the city as a living breathing animal that represents some intimidation.

That's not to Taylor can't very easily strongly imply that in an issue or two, but it would've just been nice to have the back-ups do some heavy lifting beforehand.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    We suffered it in the 90s you rapscallion and now it's your turn.
    This cycle of violence needs to end! I'd never wish Gangbuster upon anyone.

This cycle of violence needs to end! I'd never wish Gangbuster upon anyone.
    We, the hard working Suproleteriat must overthrow the Gangbourgeoisie and end their dull tyranny, brother. Grab your cosplay and take to the streets for the world will feel the fires of revolution!

Ahem. Uhh...

Someone may be able to make Gangbuster cool but so far it hasn't happened. Which is a shame. I liked Jose fine but the Gangbuster identity just never does it for me.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Then why would you like these backups? They’ve turned Bibbo into a semi-celebrity writer for the Daily Planet.
    Because atleast the guy is getting out there.Superman ain't man of action.he ain't the working class hero of the depression.Bibbo will ultimately go back back to that at the end of the day and he is getting into the middle of the action.The guy also acts the same as he was before.That's what superman was all about.An alien and a working class dude in hiding and choosing to act,be vulnerable there by.

Peope here are wierd,a story needs to have fleshed out characters .Not just superman.I don't care if bibbo gets an entire arc for himself.I don't read a book for just superman.I find the kent family nonsense to be entirely pointless.Royalty or otherwise.blah!I hope jon just leaves all that behind.Be his own superman.I hope that's what this is leading toward.Jon on the streets of metropolis.The champion of metropolis.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-15-2021 at 08:39 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It's possible that the Z-list characters from the back ups will be the supporting characters in Tom Taylor's SuperJon series or get their own mini down the line.