Page 84 of 375 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894134184 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 5625
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    Well I don't think he's supposed to be the ongoing artist if that's what you're worried about. Daniel Sampere will be on Action Comics and Scott Godlewski on Superman, after this 2 part story between AC and Superman is finished.
    Daniel Sampere is who I'm really excited for, his art for future state was some of the best.

Well I don't think he's supposed to be the ongoing artist if that's what you're worried about. Daniel Sampere will be on Action Comics and Scott Godlewski on Superman, after this 2 part story between AC and Superman is finished.
    I know, but he is launching the new direction. If the first 2 issues don't match expectations, many will drop the book before the regular artists take over.

To be fair, was that not the status quo during Tomasi's run? Jon and Clark as the co leads of the book? If anything this is just a return to form with an older Jon. Like the Superman Rebirth era, you can always get your more Clark focused stories in Action Comics too.
    Superman still felt more like the "lead" to me, even if there was a lot of narrative focus on Jon's development through their relationship, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Superman still felt more like the "lead" to me, even if there was a lot of narrative focus on Jon's development through their relationship, but that's just me.
    Same. Jon was always front and center but it still always felt mostly like a Clark book to me. Basically the Superman equivalent to Tomasi's Batman and Robin run

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Not to me,he was pa Kent.whom Jon calls dad btw.Take that bendis.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Not to me,he was pa Kent.whom Jon calls dad btw.Take that bendis.
    There were arcs in the run that didn't involve his relationship with Jon and his character still stood out within the book itself, but to each their own .

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

There were arcs in the run that didn't involve his relationship with Jon and his character still stood out within the book itself, but to each their own .
    Guess,I might have not read it.jurgens Action comics had them.But,it was abit bland for me.Couldn't stick with it The best tomasi did was Hamilton county and the mystery.That's the thing I am missing in superman and Lois.Sure,it has multiversal luthor.But, it's just relatively boring.I also am miffed that there is no Kathy in the show.That sweet gal and Jon's friend coming out and choking Damian with telekinesis was really cool moment.Not to mention other characters like Frankenstein and his wife made the whole thing feel like it's scooby doo.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Read Superman #29. I thought it was fine, but it was pretty decompressed and not much happened. Overall I didn’t enjoy Hester’s art as much as I was hoping, I’m glad he’s not taking over one of the main titles. Mainly the story is exactly what PKJ said, just Jon realizing his father isn’t invincible and can get hurt. The backup was interesting, looks like Lewis will indeed be exploring how Metropolis is going to change as a result of Superman’s actions, from revealing his identity to founding the United Planets.

Looks like this two parter will basically just be setting up the status quo with the proper run beginning in Superman #30 and Action #1030
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Interview - New Superman writer promises world-building at a level not seen since the seminal Death & Return of Superman: https://www.gamesradar.com/new-super...n-of-superman/

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Was literally just coming to post this too, so I guess I'll just paste the whole thing here for those who don't wanna leave the site.

Newsarama: Phillip, writing for Superman and Action Comics simultaneously is a pretty big deal. What made you want to take on the challenge?

Phillip Kennedy Johnson: There was never any question of taking it on. Superman was one of my very first heroes as a kid, maybe THE first, and I still associate him with aspirational dreams of flying, of outrunning trains, of saving the whole world someday. To me, there simply is no bigger honor in comics than writing Superman, and there's no reality in which I said 'no' to this. I have the clearest vision of Superman in my mind, I know exactly what I want out of a Superman story, and it's a tremendous privilege to be able to show that version to the world

Nrama: Why did you want to connect Action Comics and Superman for your first story arc?

Johnson: We were originally going to start with Scott Godlewski on Superman and Daniel Sampere on Action Comics, but the calendar worked out in such a way that we had an opportunity to set up both arcs with a two-part crossover in March. Phil Hester had just recently finished a stint on Superman with the Justice League 'Endless Winter' event, and by all accounts was a joy to work with. I've loved Phil's work forever, and I jumped at the chance to work with him.

As awesome as it can be to read one long, continuous arc with one creative team, I'm also really drawn to the idea of doing multiple short arcs with different artists, telling self-contained stories that explore different facets of the characters. That was the approach we decided to take for these first few months. Every Superman story I'm telling is written specifically with that artist in mind, and I'm extremely proud of how they're turning out.

Nrama: What are the distinct differences between the two titles, and will these two titles continue to be connected in this way?

Johnson: The Superman series will feature both Clark and Jon; Action Comics will be more Clark-centric, although Jon will appear in that book too, alongside more of Superman's cast. This March two-part crossover with Phil Hester will set up both series, but after that the two series tell two very different and independent stories.

Nrama: Will your run tie in at all to Future State: Superman: Worlds of War?

Johnson: It will! Even though "Future State' was always going to be this speculative fiction event, and nothing that happened in it should be regarded as a 'promise,' exactly, we wanted Worlds of War and House of El to be stories that continued to matter after the event ended. We didn't go heavy on the exposition in those stories, we just showed a snapshot of where Superman and his descendants had gone, and the situations they were in. For readers who still have questions coming out of my 'Future State' books, all of your answers will come in the upcoming monthly runs of Superman and Action Comics.

Nrama: Will you be carrying over any threads from Brian Michael Bendis' run?

Johnson: Yes. Superman's identity as Clark Kent is still out there, and there are other threads from Brian's run that we'll continue with (but too spoilery to get into here).

But the biggest and most important plot thread is definitely Jon's trajectory. Because of Jon's role in the formation of the United Planets and his time in the future with Legion, he's become a hugely important character in Superman lore. His power levels are also potentially even greater than Clark or Kara, so that alone makes him a very big deal going forward.

Nrama: What are some elements you feel helps define your new run from other Superman stories?

Johnson: If I had to sum it up in one word, I would say: worldbuilding. I think one element that put me on the Super-editors' radar was the massive worldbuilding we did for The Last God at DC Black Label, and I'm trying to bring the same level of depth, scope, and intricacy to the Superman titles.

After all the time and energy spent recently in Metropolis, on The Daily Planet and the people who work there, I saw an opportunity to go really, really big, to tell an epic saga that spans galaxies, shows new races and cultures, and makes the DC Universe feel much older but also newer.

We're putting together a Super-crew that you definitely will not expect, and they're going to rock the DC Universe in a way I haven't seen in a Superman comic since the Death and Return.

Nrama: Are there other Superman family members we can expect to see appear?

Johnson: Between the two books, there will usually be one story happening on Earth, another happening in space.

Anytime the story's on Earth, you'll be seeing a lot of Lois, Jon, and Kara, with plenty of appearances by other familiar characters.

And the backup stories by Sean Lewis are going to feature a TON of The Daily Planet and Metropolis cast, beginning with Jimmy and Bibbo. But in the stories that happen in space, you'll primarily be seeing Clark and Jon…for now.

Nrama: Before we wrap up, what made you want to set this first story in space?

Johnson: I wrote 'The Golden Age' specifically for Phil Hester to draw. Phil's art is incredibly distinct, instantly recognizable, and I wanted to write something to his exact strengths. He recently drew a Fourth World-inspired pinup for a charity auction that completely captivated me… I think it was one of his best pieces ever. With his clean, streamlined approach to pencils and to Superman in particular, his use of spot blacks, his really singular layouts, and finally having that amazing pin-up burned into my brain, I envisioned this story that took place almost entirely outside Earth's atmosphere, where there's no sound. For the majority of the story, the only text is a story told by an unseen narrator, seemingly unrelated to the events expressed in the art…it's all subtext, and helps us understand what the characters are going through emotionally as they fight this mysterious threat. I think the lack of dialogue and bombastic sound effects helps us appreciate Phil's art that much more, and helps us get to the real heart of the story.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Interview - New Superman writer promises world-building at a level not seen since the seminal Death & Return of Superman: https://www.gamesradar.com/new-super...n-of-superman/
    Wait, edited because I was taking it on a much bigger scope than he was really talking about. Just sounds like he plans a big Super-team supposedly rivaling the Reign Gang.

And the backup stories by Sean Lewis are going to feature a TON of The Daily Planet and Metropolis cast, beginning with Jimmy and Bibbo. But in the stories that happen in space, you'll primarily be seeing Clark and Jon…for now.
    So Superman's solo isn't even a solo. I thought it was supposed to be Jon on Earth, Superman in space, but they're still managing to put Jon in both. It must not be as linear as it first sounded. Either way, I was going to give this one a try for Clark but I'm completely checked out now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-11-2021 at 05:01 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I’m very interested in seeing his plans for Superman in the cosmic arena, especially since worldbuilding is something he identifies as being key to his plans. I like that he’s worldbuilding Superman out in space, just wish someone was worldbuilding in Metropolis as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Wait, edited because I was taking it on a much bigger scope than he was really talking about. Just sounds like he plans a big Super-team supposedly rivaling the Reign Gang.

So Superman's solo isn't even a solo. I thought it was supposed to be Jon on Earth, Superman in space, but they're still managing to put Jon in both. It must not be as linear as it first sounded. Either way, I was going to give this one a try for Clark but I'm completely checked out now.
    No, Superman will have Clark and Jon as co-protagonists basically. Action will be Clark solo but Jon may show up there as a supporting character as well. After the Superevent that starts in Sept, Jon will probably take over Superman but we don’t know that yet we’re just guessing, and while it seems likely Superman will be the one getting the new creative team while PKJ keeps Action we don’t know that for certain either.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    No, the Superman book with Jon and Clark starts off with the space adventures (just read the solicitations), and Action Comics is the one set on Earth where we'll see Lois, Jon, and Kara. Both books are in prep for the big event in Action, and from that point on Action will be set in space, and Superman seems like it'll be set on Earth. It's at that point Clark will be running with a new supporting cast, and chances are Jon will formally take over the Superman book.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

So he's still talking about the set-up phase? I got confused with the framing of the Earth/Space aspect as I remembered that being the framing of the ongoing status quo that this current stuff was supposed to set up. I'm relieved if I just misread. Forgive my annoyance, I know it gets irritating but I'm still hoping that one monthly will be to my speed. I'm not expecting 100% disconnected, I'm not trying to be that unwieldly.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-11-2021 at 06:10 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El