Page 66 of 375 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768697076116166 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

New interview with PKJ (translated from Spanish via Google):

There are people who argue that writing about such a powerful and invulnerable character is extremely difficult. What is your opinion on this?

The important thing is that the writer of Superman always remember that his powers are not the determining factor, but that the fundamental thing lies in the strength of his character. For me, the powers serve to reflect how incorruptible he is, how he is not tempted to do the wrong thing. And about his apparent invulnerability, this is simply false.

Not only does he continually face threats powerful enough to kill him, he is also a father and husband in his personal life. That makes him incredibly vulnerable. Fatherhood is DEFINITIVE vulnerability and I consider this to be one of the points why he is such an easy character to write for me.

Recently, Brian Michael Bendis made the decision to reveal to the world that Clark Kent is Superman. What is your opinion about this? Do you think the glasses trick was no longer credible to younger audiences, after 82 years of Clark/Superman duality?

Personally, I have no problem with Superman revealing his secret identity. The purpose of his mission has always been Truth and Justice, so it makes all the sense in the world that he will end up revealing his identity.

I understand that at first many people felt uncomfortable with it, because it is what always happens when there is such a great change to the status quo. But for me, as I say, it made perfect sense. I love that Supes is a journalist and that he wrote and worked to make a better world, even when he was also dedicated to saving the world as the Man of Steel, but personally I never believed he needed an alter ego. At the same time that comics have grown older over the generations, glasses have become silly that we just decided to overlook. Now we don't need to do that.

Let's talk about your plans now, if you like. The title of your first story is "Golden Age." Is it a statement of intent about what will come next?

I wrote that story specifically for the artist, Phil Hester. Phil draws in an extremely classic way, an optimized version of the superhero, reminiscent of the version of the Animated Series that Phil himself worked on. At the same time, he also has a stylized way of approaching comics, which makes his art different from other artists.

When you see a Phil Hester page, you know instantly that it's his. So I wanted to write a story that played on his virtues, to give him space in which to develop all those things that make him a great artist. The title refers to the time of our youth in which our parents are always there to protect us and make us feel safe. But it is also a gesture with Phil Hester and his work. I'm looking forward to letting people see the wonderful work he is doing for the series.

I have read some statements in which you state that we neither need a nationalistic Superman nor should we want him since he belongs to the whole world. Can you explain it to us? What are the aspirations of an Universal Superman?

I think it's important to remember that just because he landed in Kansas and is an adopted American, Superman doesn't just care about Americans. He cares about all life on Earth, even more, about all life in the Universe.

As an American military man, I personally love the character's original statement "Truth, Justice and the American Way", and I refer to it in my time. But that statement does not mean that Superman believes that the US is always right about all things or that he himself serves US interests in the arena of international conflicts.

It's a reference to the IDEALS with which the United States of America was founded: that every person, man or woman, is created equal, and that we all have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness; that we should all have the same opportunity and live free from all oppression. Superman wants that for all people, regardless of their skin color, throughout the Universe, and he is going to prove it in my time.

You have also spoken about your run, saying that in it the greatest conflict that the character has lived since Life and Death (1990) will take place. How did you come up with that idea? How do you write something so great without losing perspective on your own history?

I think my predecessor, Brian Michael Bendis , has done an exceptional job when it comes to humanizing Superman, showing us his personal relationships with friends and family in Metropolis and, more specifically, the Daily Planet.

However, I feel like now is my chance to go the other direction, explore the epicity and greatness of the character, as well as the cosmic side. Honestly, I'm not concerned with the perspective of the story. I am clear that I want to give readers the biggest and most epic Superman story they have EVER read.

The entire world is in a current state of crisis, both health and social and economic due to the problems derived from Covid. Will we see any of this in your run or do you think that comics should not deal with these issues because they are a way in itself to avoid the harsh reality for many people?

I want my run to be eternal, one that people keep going to years after it's over. If you were to write a story in which Covid was actively happening, it would forever be stuck as a story from the years 2020 and 2021, and by the time the pandemic was over, it would feel out of place.

That's the reason why readers are not seeing too many comics where everyone wears face masks covering their mouth and nose. And yes, of course, the abstraction of the world that reading supposes is a factor to consider. This disease has affected the lives of many people and comics serve as a valuable and therapeutic escape route.

We have seen protests against racism around the world. What does Superman have to say about such an important conflict? As we said in the first question, you have not avoided social issues in your previous works, so, is it challenging for you as a writer? Will you talk about this in your time in front of Superman and Action Comics?

Yes. Racism is a problem that concerns me personally and it will be specially addressed in one of the two series. I try to write stories that matter to me and that I think the rest of the world cares about. In the meantime, I can disguise it in new and super-stimulating ways of dealing with it so that it's fun to read.

For both series, you have the company of Spanish artists, Mikel Janín and Daniel Sampere. What were your inspirations when it came to the art of Superman? What can you tell us about his work for both Smallville hero titles?

Mikel and Daniel are amazing! I always try to keep in mind the style of the artist I collaborate with for any comic, and I definitely had the work of both in mind when I wrote for them, as I did for Phil Hester and Scott Godlewski in their works.

Rather than refer to the work of other artists for inspiration, I have been extremely fortunate to be inspired by the work of the artists I collaborate and work with. The characterization that both (Mikel Janín and Daniel Sampere) make Superman is just amazing, instant classics, some of the best drawings you've ever seen for the character. We are going to spoil Superman readers this year.

Those are big words!

How would you describe Clark Kent to someone who doesn't know him? How would you sell your stage to a potential new reader?

There is a certain cliche that "absolute power corrupts everything" but Clark Kent is living proof that it doesn't have to be this way. He is a person who has been blessed with absolute powers and uses them with compassion and humility. He is the best there is.

And this year, readers will be able not only to be amazed by the threats, dangers and powers that lie in wait, but by the inherent goodness that defines Superman and that makes the rest of us want to be more than we are.

What you tell us is surprising, it is clear that you have big plans for the series. Are Superman and Action Comics going to affect the rest of DC comics, characters, and continuity?

We are building an HUGE event that, eventually, will have an impact on the rest of DC Multiverse. We are about to examine a corner of the DC Universe to explore it in a way that has never been done before, and we will see a mythology and tradition that we did not even know was there. Hopefully it is something that has continuity in the future.

And Lois Lane, Jimmy Olsen and the rest of the Daily Planet. Will they have a role in this macrostory?

That's right, we'll see them in supporting stories in every issue.

Readers have long wondered about Jon Kent. What are your plans for him? Will we finally see stability for the character?

Jon will be a crucial part of the Superman title, not the Action Comics one, which will focus on Clark. Superman is pretty much about the parent-child relationship between Clark and Jon.

Full interview: https://www.zonanegativa.com/entrevi...r-de-superman/
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 01-21-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Incredible Member

After hearing how proud he is of his job as a US soldier, I was surprised when he put a bunch of soldiers and tanks as the evil to be vanquished in the "Superman as wind of justice" fantasy in Worlds of War. I have absolutely no worries of him making Superman too jingoistic after that.

Glad to see him confirm that the Daily Planet crew is going to show up constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Agreed with all this. Why I eyeroll at definitively identifying Jon as Superman Secundus as well. Secundus doesn't take up the cape until most of Superman's peers are gone, outside the ones who are also metahumans, aliens, or otherwise long-lived. That's a good 40-50 years from a current continuity's present day. That's always a pretty solid time for Clark to decide to do some travelling or whatnot to rediscover himself and his place in a budding new age and then have someone look over the Earth. The timeline here just doesn't work at all, hence why we're about to get hamfisted stuff like power depletion to justify a second Superman. Its disappointing in the possibility of it also screwing up the One Million story too.
    Future State Jon fits that bill. Bruce gets taken out by the Magistrate. The GLs get screwed by whatever happens to the Central Battery. Diana is gone and Yara takes over. The Flashes all get killed by a possessed Wally West. Arthur and Mera stick to ruling?/protecting? the inter dimensional ocean Andy and Jackson find.

And besides, the future is never set in the DCU, but given that Jon’s FS outfit is based on Morrison’s redesign for Secundus in ASS, and this was all done with Morrison consulting, I feel pretty confident in saying Jon is the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    New interview
    A lot we’ve heard before but some new stuff too. Excited for his proper run to begin. Also his FS issue has been the highest rated Superman FS issue, and one of the highest rated FS issues overall critic wise. Starting to see why DC picked him as their guy.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-21-2021 at 03:35 PM.

You never like to hear a writer say that they never thought Superman needed an alter ego. That's just such a fundamental misunderstanding of the character. Its one thing to say its a concept worth exploring now. Although I would disagree it, I could at least understand where that would be coming from. Saying that he never needed it...red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Future State Jon fits that bill. Bruce gets taken out by the Magistrate. The GLs get screwed by whatever happens to the Central Battery. Diana is gone and Yara takes over. The Flashes all get killed by a possessed Wally West. Arthur and Mera stick to ruling?/protecting? the inter dimensional ocean Andy and Jackson find.

And besides, the future is never set in the DCU, but given that Jon’s FS outfit is based on Morrison’s redesign for Secundus in ASS, and this was all done with Morrison consulting, I feel pretty confident in saying Jon is the guy.
    Oh I wasn't suggesting you were wrong, indeed I feel you're probably right. I'm just not in agreement with the way they're going about it. If it was just Future State I wouldn't be bothered that much. Obviously, it is in the future and the type of tale where its appropriate to do such things. When I talk of ham-fistedness I'm talking of the fact that Jon's taking on the mantle in the present day soon. Trying to line that up with One Million is where I personally feel the attempt at synchronization is lame. That's where I feel its a continued feeding into the inorganic feel of pretty much everything that's happened in the mythos for a few years now.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-21-2021 at 03:43 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Nah, the point is that there isn't any reason for Superman to retire until long in the future, certainly not before Lois Lane dies of old age. Because regardless of how long you think Superman should live, even when he is old he could still defeat 70% of villains. And I think the idea of Clark traversing various generations of heroes and being the column that supports them through all the crisis over the decades. And I don't like the idea of Clark leaving earth for more than a year.
    I mean, I know what his take is, and it sounds like something that could keep people entertained without controversy. I still think Truth and Justice are random words they picked for the character, and I wish someone would recognize that Superman's greatest fear being doong more damage than good doesn't have to make him a passive character and could definitely make for some damn interesting stories.

But I still think his run could be fun. I really liked the Future State story.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-21-2021 at 05:05 PM.

Only thing I really hate is what they are doing with Jon. I will never understand why they think age is an issue for Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    You never like to hear a writer say that they never thought Superman needed an alter ego. That's just such a fundamental misunderstanding of the character. Its one thing to say its a concept worth exploring now. Although I would disagree it, I could at least understand where that would be coming from. Saying that he never needed it...red flag.
    Oh, you're totally right. I kind of overlooked it, but it really shows he thinks of the secret identity as an excentricity, when it's in fact something he take a pleasure in doing, being able to live a normal life, and connect to people as Clark. suit

I'm in no rush to have him get back his secret identity, but then again, it doesn't seem like he reqlly wants to explore the novelty of Superman saving someone and then introducing himself as "Clark, just Clark" while still wearing the Superman suit.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Hey, they mentioned Lois this time! It's something, I suppose.

It's awesome knowing PKJ writes for his artist and how he tailored the story to Hester's strengths.

Referring to Superman as standing for the promise of what America was supposed to be as opposed to "my country, right or wrong" is the correct approach and I'm glad to see he's doubling down on it.

The confidence in PKJ is infectous. I really hope for the best in his run. I want to love it, but I do have my previously established reservations about the direction. Still, if we're counting just interviews, he's saying all the right stuff. Hopefully it translates properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Only thing I really hate is what they are doing with Jon. I will never understand why they think age is an issue for Superman.
    We had a pretty big debate a couple pages back about why. In short many of us think it has to do with Clark’s “iconic” image and how that hamstrings him. Jon is basically the chance to do a soft reboot without said expectations while still tapping into the imagery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

It's awesome knowing PKJ writes for his artist and how he tailored the story to Hester's strengths.

Referring to Superman as standing for the promise of what America was supposed to be as opposed to "my country, right or wrong" is the correct approach and I'm glad to see he's doubling down on it.

The confidence in PKJ is infectous. I really hope for the best in his run. I want to love it, but I do have my previously established reservations about the direction. Still, if we're counting just interviews, he's saying all the right stuff. Hopefully it translates properly.
    Least we have other options like Blue & Red if worse comes to worse, and there’s still a chance we will get BL Superman stuff. I want to know if DC is thinking about making exclusive DC Universe comics, every streaming service relies on exclusives.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We had a pretty big debate a couple pages back about why. In short many of us think it has to do with Clark’s “iconic” image and how that hamstrings him. Jon is basically the chance to do a soft reboot without said expectations while still tapping into the imagery.

Least we have other options like Blue & Red if worse comes to worse, and there’s still a chance we will get BL Superman stuff. I want to know if DC is thinking about making exclusive DC Universe comics, every streaming service relies on exclusives.
    We also have Yang/Reis, who will be amazing.

It's funny he talks about Superman being emotionally vulnerable when his powers are going to be weakening at the start of his run.

I see he's in the "glasses are silly" camp. I mean, I got the sense he wanted to write more Superman than Clark Kent anyways, at least outside Clark's family (and mostly Jon), so I'm not really surprised. At least the Planet will get backup stories.

We also have Yang/Reis, who will be amazing.
    This is probably be our safety net, we know will be good.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I think PKJ is just referring to the metopolis backups we'll see Lois in, sadly.

It seems incredibly ironic to me for Bendis to painstakingly justify Clark still working at the Daily Planet after the identity reveal only for the next writer to push that almost completely aside to put him in space.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I think PKJ is just referring to the metopolis backups we'll see Lois in, sadly.
    That's exactly what he's saying, but it's also the first time she was addressed at all. A namedrop is better than literally nothing. That's where she's at right now.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It seems incredibly ironic to me for Bendis to painstakingly justify Clark still working at the Daily Planet after the identity reveal only for the next writer to push that almost completely aside to put him in space.
    I don't think Bendis intended to leave so soon. Plans changed and they gave him Justice League, but I think he had more planned for Superman and Action Comics.