Page 58 of 376 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast

Huh. That’s a Superman Rogue I was not expecting to show up. Gives me hope maybe some of the classic Rogues will still have a role to play in the Superbooks this year.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

ACTION COMICS #1030

Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON

Art by DANIEL SAMPERE

Backup story w ritten by BECKY CLOONAN and MICHAEL W. CONRAD backup story

Back up story art by MICHAEL AVON OEMING

Cover by MIKEL JANIN

Card stock variant cover by by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

"Warworld Rising" starts here! A new chapter in Superman's life begins as the challenges of Dark Nights: Death Metal are causing Clark Kent to feel...a change in his powers. Is it possible the Metropolis Marvel could be losing a step? His struggles in taking down the creatures from the Breach would suggest as much! If he's going to continue to protect the people of Earth, he'll have to adapt -- especially with threats like Mongul out there waiting to launch their biggest attacks on the Earth yet. That's right, those are Warworld battleships just outside our orbit, and they are heading straight for us!

Meanwhile, in the Midnighter backup story, the bad boy of the Authority has to figure out what Andrej Trojan is up to in the present if he ever wants to get back to Future State and swap places with the Midnighter of 2021, whom he left stranded on Warworld.

40 pages, $4.99, available on April 27.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 01-15-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

SUPERMAN #30

Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON

Art by SCOTT GODLEWSKI

Backup story written by SEAN LEWIS backup story

Art by SAMI BASRI

Cover by JOHN TIMMS

Card stock variant cover by by INHYUK LEE

Superman has received a signal from distant space. An old friend is in deep trouble, and only the Man of Steel can help him. By the time Superman and his son get there, though, the alien who sent the signal is nowhere to be found, and his people appear to be enthralled by a shamanistic storyteller who warns of an ancient grudge with the malevolent Shadowbreed. This leaves Clark and Jonathan Kent to ponder just who sent them the distress message, but before they can find the answer, they'll discover that an ancient grudge still has very current consequences. Kicking off a new story line, this issue pairs Phillip Kennedy Johnson with his Future State: Superman: House of El collaborator, artist Scott Godlewski!

Meanwhile, in the "Tales of Metropolis" backup story it's...the return of Ambush Bug? Say it ain't so!

40 pages, $4.99 (card stock variant, $5.99), available on April 13.

Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 01-15-2021 at 10:17 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Superman losing his powers (no doubt to make room for Jon) is not helping get me excited for the run, but it's a solicit. Hopefully that's not what's going on. The cover also doesn't have Sampere listed even though the solicit does. Tight ship you're running there, DC. Tedesco cover remains gorgeous.

Ambush bug gets a spotlight before Lois Lane? I try not to curse this much on these boards, but fucking AMBUSH BUG? This is a fucking joke.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Looks cool to me.

Though I'm fine with paying $4.99 for 40 pages if the ads are not placed in with the pages of content. Put them all at the back of the book, there's no reason to break up the art like in 2021.

The more I see Jon pushed way too soon in my opinion as Superman with Clark being demoted (which is uncomfortably DC attempting to bring back New 52 Supes without using Clark as their new, younger, single and radical Supes) and still using the loathed aged up status quo established by Bendis which some people didn't like the change and they didn't give him the aged up in a satisfying and meaningful way rather than torpedo him makes me less excited and no interest of buying Superman for a while if Jon return before Bendis or DiDio aged him up if the feedback is not good.

Seriously when did aged up Jon have memorable moments. That's right, ZERO because he didn't impress and rough start due to bad writing by Bendis and lack of interest of (I give it a chance if PKJ have positive reception from readers).
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Incredible Member

Ambush Bug gets a back-up on the Superman book, and we've still to hear anything about Lois. For real. She isn't mentioned in any of the three Superman-centric books (including Red & Blue).

I was also hoping Kara would get a book, considering she has a Future State book (and that it has been the best of the Super-verse books so far), but apparently not.

I don't mind Jon being promoted as the new Superman while Clark goes to space, but I do mind that part of it seems to be depowering Clark so that Jon can shine even brighter. I like Jon as a character, but the way the writers have promoted him at the expense of everyone else since Rebirth started bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonKent17 View Post
    The more I see Jon pushed way too soon in my opinion as Superman with Clark being demoted (which is uncomfortably DC attempting to bring back New 52 Supes without using Clark as their new, younger, single and radical Supes) and still using the loathed aged up status quo established by Bendis which some people didn't like the change and they didn't give him the aged up in a satisfying and meaningful way rather than torpedo him makes me less excited and no interest of buying Superman for a while if Jon return before Bendis or DiDio aged him up if the feedback is not good.

Seriously when did aged up Jon have memorable moments. That's right, ZERO because he didn't impress and rough start due to bad writing by Bendis and lack of interest of (I give it a chance if PKJ have positive reception from readers).
    Bringing Damian to the future to have a brodown. Planting the seed for the United Planets. His exchange about Star Wars movies with Brainy. Confronting the Titans. Just this week he bluffed Solaris pretty hard. He's had some memorable moments, but by all means, push the narrative that only young Jon did anything.

Astonishing Member

The lack of Lois has really soured my expectations for FS and beyond. At this stage I may take a break until I actually get something I actually want to read. A depowered Clark isn't it. I love Jon but they are zooming to him being super best when he's had no writing/foundation that would make me buy DC's push. If this was their goal all along, we should have had a much more comprehensive build up. So instead of putting him in Legion where he faded into the background, he should have had a solo Superboy book instead to show why this Superman push is justified. I'm not saying he shouldn't be the new Superman, just not feeling the way it's being pushed, to the detriment of all characters involved so far. The only thing I like with him so far is incorporating the weirdness of his upbringing to at least do some good character work. I am NOT interested in a Jon who's really just a young Clark in disguise. It does a great disservice to both Clark and Jon, who's yet to form an identity well of his own since his age up, to slip the latter into his father's past established role and then ask readers to pretend that's not what's happening.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 01-15-2021 at 11:43 AM.

DC just is not taking the hint no one want's Clark replaced especially by Jon especially as he is now in this form for the most part hated except by the rare few.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Bringing Damian to the future to have a brodown. Planting the seed for the United Planets. His exchange about Star Wars movies with Brainy. Confronting the Titans. Just this week he bluffed Solaris pretty hard. He's had some memorable moments, but by all means, push the narrative that only young Jon did anything.
    If a conversation about Star Wars with a robot, sitting by with gaga eyes while the basic blonde mind raped his supposed best friend, helping the titans for 5 pages while occasionally glaring with red eyes before flying off basically after doing nothing, and a glimpse into one of a thousand futures that will likely never even happen is the most memorable things that's happened to Jon in the last 2 years then I truly fear for him he might aswell get the Chris Kent treatment at this point.

Ugh, so Superman's powers are diminishing so Jon can eclipse him there, eh? The negatives are still vastly outweighing the positives here, but I'm still willing to see where it leads for Superman's solo adventures. If that's intriguing enough, cool. But as always, screw Jon Kent.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    If a conversation about Star Wars with a robot, sitting by with gaga eyes while the basic blonde mind raped his supposed best friend, helping the titans for 5 pages while occasionally glaring with red eyes before flying off basically after doing nothing, and a glimpse into one of a thousand futures that will likely never even happen is the most memorable things that's happened to Jon in the last 2 years then I truly fear for him he might aswell get the Chris Kent treatment at this point.
    Gotcha. You're going to be pedantic because you have a vested interest in hating the direction. Good to know discussion's on the table. I'm glad you're married to a Jon Kent that existed to be Robin's sidekick and take over the Superman books. It's not like child Jon was without fault. Each have their merits, but again, you've dug your line in the sand and will die on that hill. Fair enough. We all have our hills to defend and that's yours. I disagree. Guess we're done then.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

that was pretty cool.It's just the overall lack of energy with jon in that issue and yara being superman like made me forget that moment.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Gotcha. You're going to be pedantic because you have a vested interest in hating the direction. Good to know discussion's on the table. I'm glad you're married to a Jon Kent that existed to be Robin's sidekick and take over the Superman books. It's not like child Jon was without fault. Each have their merits, but again, you've dug your line in the sand and will die on that hill. Fair enough. We all have our hills to defend and that's yours. I disagree. Guess we're done then.
    Bold of you to assume I'm a pedantic cause I call out Mediocrity for what it is, truth is the character I liked was butchered for 2 years of nothing and Future State which I actually thought was solid, but ultimately not worth it to damage what was a good thing. If you're content with Mediocre beta male Clark Jr okay more power to you agree to disagree.