Page 1 of 375 123451151101 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Default PKJ Action Comics Discussion and Spoilers

It's official, Phillip Kennedy Johnson is the new writer of both Superman and Action Comics:

"Phillip Kennedy Johnson’s run on both series begins with his first issues forming a two-part story titled “The Golden Age,” which brings Jon Kent, the grown son of Superman, back from the 31st Century to save his father’s life — and help Superman solve the mystery of what’s behind this latest almost deadly attack."

Interview with the writer: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...his-epic-plans

EDIT: new video interview
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F4i...liseumOfComics
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 12-19-2020 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Update

Disappointing that they’re giving both books to one person, especially when it’s someone who hasn’t done a lot of DC work and is still kinda unproven. Still his Future State books sound interesting and I choose to be cautiously optimistic about him tackling the job.

Looks like the artists will be Scott Godlewski and Phil Hester.

Astonishing Member

I'm glad. Superman's Future State part is seems the most fascinating for me, and I really want more new voices among writers. So, good luck for him, I hope it will be a great run.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

What's with this giving both books to one person thing? That was one of my gripes with Bendis.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    I'm glad. Superman's Future State part is seems the most fascinating for me, and I really want more new voices among writers. So, good luck for him, I hope it will be a great run.
    Yeah it looks like many people, including me, jumped the gun when we said Future State was going to be “filler”. It’s absolutely something that matters and will be shaping the direction of the line going forward.

Also it looks like Daniel Sampre of Injustice infamy will be taking over art duties for Action Comics after the initial two parter The Golden Age which sets up PKJ’s run.
    Last edited by Vordan; 12-16-2020 at 10:27 AM.

I’ve, sadly, not read any of his stuff. Will he be a good fit for Supes?

Astonishing Member

Well, I still perceive it more as the introduction of the author's teams, these events are still not canon, this future is clearly not coming as something what set in stone.
    But I am glad that the people who worked on the project remain in their places.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

He makes a point of Jon coming back from the 31st century, but wasn’t Jon always able to come back? He came back for Lois dad’s funeral

So for those of you who want to get a feel for Phillip Kennedy Johnson, I highly recommend you go check out his Tales of the Dark Multiverse: Hush one shot. I thought it was excellent, the best of the bunch imo. He’s also a co-writer on Steve Orlando’s To Kill A Man from Aftershock Comics, he wrote The Last God for Black Label, and he’s done various indie books. His only real failure as far as I can tell is that his Empyre Cap tie-in was bad and boring. Just a fairly banal “respect the troops” issue, if you enjoyed the Tomasi Superfamily vacation to D.C. maybe you’d enjoy it. I don’t hold it against him since I thought Empyre as a whole was pretty lame, not even Ewing could make me care.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Well, I still perceive it more as the introduction of the author's teams, these events are still not canon, this future is clearly not coming as something what set in stone.
    But I am glad that the people who worked on the project remain in their places.
    Yep, it’s moreso the ideas that show up in Future State will also be used in the mainline books set in the “present”.

Astonishing Member

Jon, by the way, will come to the Future State from the 31st century too, as far as I remember. Maybe he will actually come from there, so Jon will know about these events, and maybe he will even prevent them from happening during this arc.

Covers:

If you hate Jon I don’t think this will be for you, and if you want to roll things back to the Tomasi/Jurgens era it looks like this won’t be for you either

I’m lucky in that I don’t fall into either category so this looks fine to me. I’ll be able to be excited once we see how PKJ writes Clark in Future State.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Covers:

]
    Exciting stuff and we can finally stop the speculation about Jon becoming younger!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If you hate Jon I don’t think this will be for you, and if you want to roll things back to the Tomasi/Jurgens era it looks like this won’t be for you either

I’m lucky in that I don’t fall into either category so this looks fine to me. I’ll be able to be excited once we see how PKJ writes Clark in Future State.
    The covers make it looks Clark is going to die and Jon takes over the mantle. Wth?

And the press release confirms we will have up backup stories in both Superman and action comics! Also it sounds like a massive Superman event is coming: https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2020/1...qNhWjo.twitter