Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Superman In Video Games General Discussion

Figured we should have a general discussion thread because I’m delusional and want to believe that Gunn taking the reins means maybe there’s a chance of us getting a Superman video game in my life time. Also:

The JL Cosmic Chaos game is out and since this is the only non-evil video game Superman we’re likely to see any time soon, I figured I’d share.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Since this is the only non-evil video game Superman.
    We had a cool and chill Superman in Multiverses

Mxy and Bizarro are also in Cosmic Chaos .

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Why did they have to show Batman gloating so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Venomized-spider-man View Post
    We had a cool and chill Superman in Multiverses

Sadly seems like that game fell off. Shame because it seemed to have a lot of interest initially. If Gunn is talking to the animation guys about doing more with WW, I hope he’s talking to the video game guys about doing more with Superman beyond making him evil.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sadly seems like that game fell off. Shame because it seemed to have a lot of interest initially. If Gunn is talking to the animation guys about doing more with WW, I hope he’s talking to the video game guys about doing more with Superman beyond making him evil.
    The game's actually doing fine, it still maintains regularly high numbers on consoles. I can confirm myself, I've played it recently and matches are very quick to load indicating there's a lot of players online.

There's just a lot of doomsaying in the community though it doesn't help they haven't released a new character in some time.

Heh, the YT algorithm suggested a video to me yesterday on why Multiversus fell off. If the article briefly referenced in the video is correct, it lost 99% of its daily player base.

DC keeps trying to make these mobile games work but they’ve never succeeded the way Marvel has.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I've noticed a good number of video game reviewers on Youtube have been recently giving the Atari 2600 Superman game some reappraisal.

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Cool video on the history of Superman games, which isn't as negative as most retrospectives talking about Superman games.

It's pretty cool how fans try to make a Superman game using whatever assets they have.

I think historically, the reason we've never had a great Super game is largely due to technological limitations. Lot of problems in other areas (like story) seem to start out as efforts to deal with hardware/software limitations. It's only been relatively recently that gaming reached the requirements you need to really nail the whole scope of being Clark Kent. And just because we can do it on a technical level now doesn't mean it's easy. Must be hard finding the right balance between challenge, story, audience expectation/the "Superman Experience," and system/mechanics.

There was a whole thread about how to pull it off not too long ago. Lot of interesting ideas in there. I really dug someone's suggestion of doing an old school, turn based Final Fantasy clone. Seemed like such a weird, counterintuitive idea but I think it could actually be pretty great, and solve a mountain of programming questions/concerns.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

does DCUO count as a "Superman" game?

'cause there's a lot of characters including Superman in DCUO