Page 67 of 376 FirstFirst ... 175763646566676869707177117167 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 5626

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It seems incredibly ironic to me for Bendis to painstakingly justify Clark still working at the Daily Planet after the identity reveal only for the next writer to push that almost completely aside to put him in space.
    To be honest, I thought it was kind of dumb that he still got to be a reporter after the identity reveal, this just feels like a natural consequence of the outing.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Superman should just start a blog.Truth and justice wasn't some random words used,for those saying that.As for the writer's insistance that the secret id wasn't ever needed,he doesn't know what he's talking about.That's the feeling i get,anyways.I can understand it being inherently something clark wants to move past and be himself.But,the world wasn't much of safe place.
    overall,i think superman should develop into a character that Stops the charade,stops hiding,stops chasing people's acceptance and running from their fears.
    also don't understand what is wrong in being silly.Sheesh!these guys are too damn serious.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-21-2021 at 09:40 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Lol, not a blog. But write books. Not news coverage, actual books about his life experience and view of the world. If you wanna go with him revealing his identity then think about what it actually means beyond the first few weeks of shock.

I just realized that the origin of the "Truth and Justice" thing does go back to 1940, in the radio serials, but the use of it has been morphed. Look:

"Superman--defender of law and order, champion of equal rights, valiant, courageous fighter against the forces of hate and prejudice, who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth and justice."

Truth and Justice is what they say Clark Kent the journalist does. Not Superman.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-22-2021 at 01:04 AM.

Isn’t PKJ related but I feel like we can make this thread just a general thread for all Superman discussion during the PKJ era like we did for Bendis if the mods are ok with it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKVgZrIj...d=g79q9jvdhj9s
    Brad Walker got his Morrison Omnibus comps, so it exists! **** yes, thank God this is coming out before the trade department gets freaking shuttered. All I want now are a Johns Superman omnibus collecting his Pre-FP run (I’d take his brief New 52 run too though) and a Busiek Superman Omnibus and I’d be content. Would like a Bendis one too but that would be years away at the earliest if it were to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's funny he talks about Superman being emotionally vulnerable when his powers are going to be weakening at the start of his run.

I see he's in the "glasses are silly" camp. I mean, I got the sense he wanted to write more Superman than Clark Kent anyways, at least outside Clark's family (and mostly Jon), so I'm not really surprised. At least the Planet will get backup stories.
    He’s outright said he’s more interested in exploring the SUPER part of Superman because he felt previous writers did a good job focusing on the MAN. So now he wants to kinda write an “epic”. I’m open to letting him try, stuff like Johns GL really didn’t focus much on Hal’s civilian life (hell that aspect basically completely withered away due to how little time Johns spent on it).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We had a pretty big debate a couple pages back about why. In short many of us think it has to do with Clark’s “iconic” image and how that hamstrings him. Jon is basically the chance to do a soft reboot without said expectations while still tapping into the imagery.
    Superman having those pre conceived expectations is much more unique than another story about a son not feeling as good as his father. I haven't read it but someone in another thread mentioned Superman / Hitman and a moment where he talks about an astronaut who got into trouble in space and Superman arrived, which instantly made the astronaut feel that he had already been saved, and he kept looking at Superman with that confidence and assurance even though Superman couldn't actually save him and he ended up dying.

Also, Clark having a middle age crisis about "have I been too scared to really change the world" and deciding he wants to try a new approach actually has a lot more meaning.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-22-2021 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Lol, not a blog. But write books. Not news coverage, actual books about his life experience and view of the world. If you wanna go with him revealing his identity then think about what it actually means beyond the first few weeks of shock.
    I had thought that.Clark is more a writer who is interested in people than investigative journalist.Not that he can't be speculative or deductive or inference or whatever.but A book normally has a start finish and an end.When writer decide to write something he usually has an ending in sight.Clark's story will never have an end.It's neverending.He has places to go,people to meet and their stories to tell.He needs to be the guy who shows and shares the problems of the world.If someone else after clark decides to compile his articles into a book.That would be it.But,i genunly believe it shouldn't be clark that does it.Because clark has biases.He's gonna write from where and what he is.He is gonna be upfront about it.

"This is just another opinion from someone from kansas who wants to change the world with a pen,paper and to think positive"
    Superman is always gonna be contriversial.But,he needs to get his perspective out there.People can do whatever with it.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-22-2021 at 01:28 AM.

First, I'm talking about him writing multiple books, and none of them would be a chronicle of his entire life. Some of them wouldn't even be about him, but about the people he met (normal people, not Batman). And of course he would be biased, that's the whole point. "How does Superman view the world".

Astonishing Member

I just realized that the origin of the "Truth and Justice" thing does go back to 1940, in the radio serials, but the use of it has been morphed. Look:

"Superman--defender of law and order, champion of equal rights, valiant, courageous fighter against the forces of hate and prejudice, who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth and justice."

Truth and Justice is what they say Clark Kent the journalist does. Not Superman.
    Maybe I'm doff but I thought that was apparent to people. This is why I always felt Clark was important and not some disguise or parody to full people. Superman fighting Mongul/Metallo/Brainiac and the like is not exactly a battle for "Truth and Justice".

First, I'm talking about him writing multiple books, and none of them would be a chronicle of his entire life. Some of them wouldn't even be about him, but about the people he met (normal people, not Batman). And of course he would be biased, that's the whole point. "How does Superman view the world".
    It's more than having biases.A book is a dead end.A bunch of compiled notes has room for things .People who read it would get different ideas and conclusions.There would be diversity in opinions.
    There is also the disguised part.Anyways,Superman does both the justice and truth part as well.His would be based on action.Clark does the talking.Superman does the punching.I mean,clark kent can't throw a wife beater into a wall(justive.cough!cough!vigilante justice).He certainly can't prove the innocence of a woman by barging into the house of a governer with evidence.That would be too thuggish and brutish.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-22-2021 at 02:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It's more than having biases.A book is a dead end.A bunch of compiled notes has room for things .People who read it would get different ideas and conclusions.There would be diversity in opinions.
    What are you talking about? A book is far more influential than a blog.
    There is also the disguised part.Anyways,Superman does both the justice and truth part as well.His would be based on action.Clark does the talking.Superman does the punching.I mean,clark kent can't throw a wife beater into a wall(justive.cough!cough!vigilante justice).He certainly can't prove the innocence of a woman by barging into the house of a governer with evidence.That would be too thuggish and brutish.
    Who have you heard oppose either of those things? Writers tend not to tell those stories because they just don't find them very interesting, but I think most people accept the wife beater and the innocence of a woman thing. Although I'm not sure how effective barging into a house would be, versus appearing in a court.

And Superman rarely does things in the name of "Truth". And why should he? It has nothing to do with what Jonathan and Martha would've taught him or what he himself would see as necessary in the world. I think man of his word matters a lot more to him than just the concept of "Truth"

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Isn’t PKJ related but I feel like we can make this thread just a general thread for all Superman discussion during the PKJ era like we did for Bendis if the mods are ok with it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKVgZrIj...d=g79q9jvdhj9s
    Brad Walker got his Morrison Omnibus comps, so it exists! **** yes, thank God this is coming out before the trade department gets freaking shuttered. All I want now are a Johns Superman omnibus collecting his Pre-FP run (I’d take his brief New 52 run too though) and a Busiek Superman Omnibus and I’d be content. Would like a Bendis one too but that would be years away at the earliest if it were to happen.

He’s outright said he’s more interested in exploring the SUPER part of Superman because he felt previous writers did a good job focusing on the MAN. So now he wants to kinda write an “epic”. I’m open to letting him try, stuff like Johns GL really didn’t focus much on Hal’s civilian life (hell that aspect basically completely withered away due to how little time Johns spent on it).
    If it makes you feel any better, I don't think they're shuttering the collection line completely. They wouldn't be continuing runs on the new Man of Steel hardcovers just to shutter in the middle. Other stuff may not get recollected, but their bigger IP like Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman they'll find a way to repackage their existing material to make some money. How that looks, I don't know. You may get more "[Character] by [creator]" collections or we may go back to more focused collections of individual stories, likely in hardcover. As with most, I like larger collections at the more reasonable price points, but we'll see what we get coming down the pipeline.

Buseik, sadly, doesn't have any particular story that gets referred to often so it's probably lower on the pecking order despite some very strong characterization if memory serves. You may wait a while on that one.

Johns is a high profile name (admittedly his star is fading) who has Superman: Brainiac, which got adapted for an animated film and on Krypton if I recall correctly. That alone means a Superman by Geoff Johns collection is plausible. Buseik has a good name among comic fans, but adapted material isn't as kind to him, which shouldn't matter when collecting comic material but the business world can be kooky sometime and I fear this may hurt in AT&T's new mission statement for DC. Time will tell.

What are you talking about? A book is far more influential than a blog.

Who have you heard oppose either of those things? Writers tend not to tell those stories because they just don't find them very interesting, but I think most people accept the wife beater and the innocence of a woman thing. Although I'm not sure how effective barging into a house would be, versus appearing in a court.

And Superman rarely does things in the name of "Truth". And why should he? It has nothing to do with what Jonathan and Martha would've taught him or what he himself would see as necessary in the world. I think man of his word matters a lot more to him than just the concept of "Truth"
    That's the point,Clark isn't out there to influence people.He just wants his truth out there.People can do whatever with it and think whatever of it.Book would have clear cut persepective.People would just be thinking from clark's pov.why would a guy like clark who is touted as man of action want that?A bunch of idealogues following clarks words.

Does it require any one to oppose?It's just people apathetic and clark wasn't.Just because something got lost after years.Doesn't mean it never existed.Clark and superman used to do these things.Yes,it was for ideals such as truth and justice. As for affectivenes,well he proved the innocence of the girl and stopped an execution.Drastic steps taken in drastic situations.Why should clark's pursuit of truth and justice be connected to martha or jonathan?He's an individual.He's not a kid.He can make those decisions and clark isn't just an assortment of his parent's ideas or a tool to carry out his sky parents and earth parents vision and will.Judging by your post clark should just be a scientist or farmer.He's neither.Because that would be what his parents taught him.He's an outlaw,circus strongman and a reporter.I don't think either of these sky and earth parents would approve of clark.But,clark has to do what he thinks is right.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-22-2021 at 04:34 AM.

For goodness sakes I do not understand what you have against him writing a book. You think him telling people what he thinks is bad why? He has had an experience of the world unlike anyone else and what makes ghihim interesting is that he actually has valuable things to say that come in hand with his actions. A blog is a fluff piece. A book is a serious effort at trying to do something.

What I'm saying is that you talking about how people don't want Superman to take care of wife beaters, but I haven't seen anyone say this is a bad thing. Defending innocent people also seems like something everyone can agree with.

And again, why would Superman care about "truth"? What meaning does it have to him?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

What if he publishes a book that is a collection of blog posts to split the difference?

Or a cookbook! How To Take the Cake: 40 Decadent Delights.