Page 11 of 376 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

The only reason I'm giving this early Jon focus a pass, despite the fact it is indeed irritating, is that at least the storyline revolves around the idea of saving Superman. And if that's what indeed happens, then I'd give the benefit of the doubt for full focus to come back to Clark afterward. If it doesn't and the Jon-centric stuff keeps up, then I'll be more critical.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Welp. Well, as is typical, it doesnÂ’t seem to have registered with a lot of people how low key sexist, problematic and patronizing this interview is so IÂ’ll fall on the sword and point it out. Though I imagine at least a few of you did pick up on it and just didnÂ’t comment on it.

Ok where do we start?

The continued problem of male writers forgetting that Jon Kent has a MOTHER is, without question, a continued issue of misogyny within the Superman office and in the way people discuss this character. There is a full paragraph here—a FULL PARAGRAPH!!!!—where both the interviewer and Philip discuss Jon Kent and his impact and how important he is and Lois isn’t mentioned one time. Not even a casual name drop. It’s like she doesn’t exist. As if Jon is a product of his father only and the woman who birthed him is no inconsequential that it doesn’t even matter. Folks, it shouldn’t have to be continually pointed out here how deeply not ok that is in the year 2020.

I like Jon Kent. IÂ’m all in favor of him existing and in favor of using him (wisely) and exploring these dynamics but doing so at the expense of his mother wherein she is quite literally painted out of the picture (regulated to a random back up story every now and then? Who the heck knows? Philip didnÂ’t mention her name one time) is not ok. This is not ok to do to her to basically treat her as a uterus to birth a kid and then push her off page like she doesnÂ’t exist.

The subsequent convo where Philip talks about how vital Jon is to Superman because he helps you empathize with him as father etc is equally as problematic. Not because itÂ’s not true. I absolutely understand why someone like Philip who has a young son himself would feel new empathy for Superman as a father. The problem comes again into how women play into this because if you can feel humanity and empathy for Superman as a father but you didnÂ’t or donÂ’t feel that same empathy for him as a loving husband....it says a lot and none of it is good. This is the kind of stuff we mean when we talk about why itÂ’s so frustrating to see male writers continually struggle to connect to female characters to the point that we can feel their apathy on the page.

I am not trying to be contrary here nor am I trying to ruin the excitement of those who are ready for a fresh direction. I’m not impressed in the slightest with these big plans of a “new cast.” Who the heck cares about a new cast? It’s lazy. It means he isn’t interested in committing to developing the characters Superman actually has so it’s easier to just create new ones they can take credit for. Again (and this is true in Wonder Woman books too) inventing new female characters that men can take credit for and imprint upon is not an excuse for ignoring developed women in a franchise. It’s a CHEAT.

Guys, it’s 2020. Almost 2021. It is not a secret that DC Comics and again, the Superman office in particular has a notorious problem with employing women, treating women fairly and that it has directly translated for many years to the way women are treated in the fictional and editorial realm on the page. An interview like this about a grand new direction for Superman, that mentions Jon a TON, in the cultural climate we are in where the new writer doesn’t mention Lois Lane at all by name one time—even as Jon’s mother—is not acceptable and not ok. This is not Rocket science, guys. This is bare minimum effort and he couldn’t do it.

Not a good sign and it deserves to be called out by more people than just me as a woman doing it. Obviously not a full indictment of what he will or wonÂ’t do in the books because ...who knows? No idea. But as an interview promoting a new direction for a franchise literally launching a TV show with LoisÂ’s name in the TITLE in February....this is not a great start.
    I'll admit I skimmed the announcement and my reaction post because I was at work, but even skimming I really was bothered we heard nothing about Lois. I really hope she's not just, well, sidelined for Clark and his son. My big problem with Jon since inception is he's his dad's clone. Give him his mom's eyes, put some more of her character in him.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstupidjellyfish View Post
    This isnÂ’t even completely accurate of what Sampere can do because thatÂ’s a few years old now.

Check this out: https://twitter.com/aquamanuniverse/...236123650?s=21
    Christmas came early for this reader!

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I would give you kid Jon fans “your” Jon back in a heartbeat if it meant Ma & Pa went back to being dead. Seeing their usage in Endless Winter just reminded me of everything I dislike about how they’re typically used. So let me know when you’re ready to make that Faustian bargain lol.
    You won me with deaging Jon but then I saw you putting Jon and Martha back in the ground so I'm afraid it's ten paces, turn and fire at dawn, sir. No friendship will get in the way of my corn-fed old folk.

I'm partly joking, but I too hate when Jon is just a midwestern fortune cookie. I just like them being around as Clark's parents who he loves and visits because he wants to, not because "well shucks, it's hard being growed up." The advice from the Kents that Clark takes as profound and never questions should stop after-- at most-- his origin story. Much like I dislike when Clark calls Bruce to help him solve a crime, I want to see the title character grapple with challenge-- not phone someone he feels is more qualified.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    I'll say something: I'm always an optimistic person, so I'm approaching this with an open mind. It's new talent, and I'm always excited when I hear about a Superman event (He deserves very much).

However, I really can't understand why DC doesn't put a real super star team of creators, at the height of their powers, on Superman and Action Comics; I'm not talking about has beens who were once really big 10, 20,30 years ago...
    Johnson will be great for Superman.
    As for star team of creators, they seem to have opted to give space to new talent. Which can also mean reduce costs which star teams demand. DC is pressured to make profits by AT&T, new talent don't get paid as big names.

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    As for star team of creators, they seem to have opted to give space to new talent. Which can also mean reduce costs which star teams demand. DC is pressured to make profits by AT&T, new talent don't get paid as big names.
    It did cross my mind that price also probably played a factor in Johnson getting the book. But editorial must believe in his pitch because Lewis and Watters are relative unknowns as well, they could’ve given either of them a book without having to pay much I’d wager.

It did cross my mind that price also probably played a factor in Johnson getting the book. But editorial must believe in his pitch because Lewis and Watters are relative unknowns as well, they could’ve given either of them a book without having to pay much I’d wager.
    It depends if they approached them or not. I doubt we will ever known. But Johnson must have convinced DC that his approach was good enough for them.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

As pumped up as I am, I would be even more pumped if PKJ gave a lil of that John Carter flavour to Superman. Let's gooooo.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarFarr View Post
    Yeah, I believe you're correct here!

One thing is for sure: from what I've seen in the article, the guy simply loves Supes, and that's always a reason to be excited.

This particular bit put a huge smile upon my face:

My North Star when writing Superman, the thing that I always try to remember, is that his powers are not the point. They should serve to illustrate how utterly selfless and incorruptible he is. Superman is the figure of absolute power who wields it with absolute compassion and humility. He’s the man with the power to conquer the universe who would lay down his life for the least of us.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...his-epic-plans

This man is a whole kissass talking about "Brian's brilliant treatment of Jon in the 31st century" the nerve of you sir, the lies, the audacity to spute such vial!

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    This man is a whole kissass talking about "Brian's brilliant treatment of Jon in the 31st century" the nerve of you sir, the lies, the audacity to spute such vial!
    Big fan, huh?

Has anyone ever **** talked the previous creative team when they take over a book?

I’m pretty sure that’s a big no-no. Of course PKJ will praise Bendis, he’s not going to talk bad about a co-worker lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Big fan, huh?
    Ya know there have actually been certain things about the Bendis run i feel had potential but 9 times out of 10 ended up flopping hard for me, so that being said to sit there andsay Brian did anything positive or "brilliant" with Jonathan Kent is a flat out lie he literally reduced him to the most blandest, basic piece of canvas I have ever seen all he did was set the character back, and even the stuff he did write for the character he never bothered to delve into like the Scar that's there but not there yet sometimes shows up it's still not even known how it was attained a year & half later.

Has anyone ever **** talked the previous creative team when they take over a book?

I’m pretty sure that’s a big no-no. Of course PKJ will praise Bendis, he’s not going to talk bad about a co-worker lol.
    Does the professional comics industry have a heel working for the big two right now? Is it Dan Slott? I remember he came on these boards to **** on Peter&MJ shippers a while back, but otherwise I can't think of one, and he only gets it by de facto.

Dan Didio was the last one. We need a new heel in this industry to troll us. PKJ! STEP. IT. UP.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    2: I buy a superman comic and they give me a Jon comic
    I could say,i buy superman book and i get clark kent.How is that any different?
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Meh. I was kind of hoping for Waid or Russell to do one of them. Particularly Mark Russell who is probably my favorite writer right now. I also and not thrilled about one person writing both. Makes me feel like I need to read both (though DC is probably happy with that). Looks like it'll be trades for me.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Meh. I was kind of hoping for Waid or Russell to do one of them. Particularly Mark Russell who is probably my favorite writer right now. I also and not thrilled about one person writing both. Makes me feel like I need to read both (though DC is probably happy with that). Looks like it'll be trades for me.
    I know what you mean about Russell. Between Flintstones, Wonder Twins and Red Sonja I really think DC is sleeping on his talent. Superman vs. Imperious Lex can't come fast enough.