Page 150 of 376 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160200250 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 5626
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Ah, and there it is! DC has finally noticed Sampere is an all-timer in the making, and they're scooping him off the Superman books completely. The cynic in me says it'll be a Batman book (clearly we don't have enough), but more than likely it'll be like Justice League or maybe even Williamson's crisis?

Hope however long the fill-ins are on don't hurt the book.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Yeah that's a bit of a kick in the teeth, the art has been outright stellar. I think we were all hoping for this writer/artist combo on AC for a long run together. Kudos to him, but I hope it doesn't have a negative effect on the synergy of the book. I also hope it doesn't become a revolving door of artists...
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Incredible Member

Kudos to Sampere. He sounds excited. That new DC project is either an event, Batman, or Justice League.

But yes, I will definitely miss his work in this book. It has been fantastic.

I think we all suspected that DC would swipe Sampere and put him on an “important” book alas. Sucks to see him go because he’s been amazing but he’s probably going to Batman or whatever event in 2022 Williamson is building up to. Mendonca would make an amazing replacement which is why I don’t think DC will let him stick around long either
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Woohoo, more HUGE events. Please note sarcasm. I don't care about any more events and don't want to see any AUs or futures or whatnot. Obviously good for DC and creatives if it's a success, but just not what I'm wanting to see.

So, anyone think it's HUGE enough to be all new universe-reboot, or will it be a couple more years before we get to the next one?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think we all suspected that DC would swipe Sampere and put him on an “important” book alas. Sucks to see him go because he’s been amazing but he’s probably going to Batman or whatever event in 2022 Williamson is building up to. Mendonca would make an amazing replacement which is why I don’t think DC will let him stick around long either
    They keep taking all of Superman's best artists and wonder why his book won't sell.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They keep taking all of Superman's best artists and wonder why his book won't sell.
    Sadly even with Sampere Action hasn’t picked up a bunch of sales. Doesn’t look like Sampere has pushed people to check out the book unfortunately. A bad artist can tank sales more than a good one can raise them these days, I just hope PKJ isn’t left with Godwelski, his art is not for me.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Sadly even with Sampere Action hasn’t picked up a bunch of sales. Doesn’t look like Sampere has pushed people to check out the book unfortunately. A bad artist can tank sales more than a good one can raise them these days, I just hope PKJ isn’t left with Godwelski, his art is not for me.
    I don't think Superman will raise sales with just good creators. You need an acclaimed run that keeps building steam to slowly bring people back. You're not going to get that with shuffling people off after a trade. Batman didn't get where he is because of a few arcs. I know we want to think DKR/Year One made him the biggest sales draw overnight, but those were followed by lots of quality stories and creators over decades.

DC keeps putting some great seeds in the ground, watering them and the coming back the next morning infuriated that they don't have crops. Then they rip the seeds out of the soil, piss on it and try again the next morning ad nauseam.
    May we never forget:

I don't think Superman will raise sales with just good creators. You need an acclaimed run that keeps building steam to slowly bring people back. You're not going to get that with shuffling people off after a trade. Batman didn't get where he is because of a few arcs. I know we want to think DKR/Year One made him the biggest sales draw overnight, but those were followed by lots of quality stories and creators over decades.

DC keeps putting some great seeds in the ground, watering them and the coming back the next morning infuriated that they don't have crops. Then they rip the seeds out of the soil, piss on it and try again the next morning ad nauseam.
    If they give PKJ Mendonca or Ossio:

Then I think Action won’t miss a beat, both are amazing artists who do gorgeous work. Ossio is working on a Superman cover so I’m hoping he’s getting put on Action:

One other thing occurred to me. Sampere wanted to keep Supes in the classic costume. If he’s leaving I wonder if there’s a chance Clark might switch to the Authority get up? I like the design a lot so I wouldn’t mind at all.

Incredible Member

Hadn't thought of that. Sounds possible I guess, but I can't see the man who has Superman 78 as his guiding light for Superman (even if it really doesn't show) wanting to move away that much from the classic suit.

Anyway, hopefully PKJ has as much synergy with whoever succeeds Sampere long-term as he did with Sampere. He sure didn't have that with Godwelski.

DC gave up on long term investment a long time ago. They've just been chasing the short-term sales spike for decades now and its really starting to show. Just look at the most recent solicits, we're basically down to League characters and Bats, with a couple titles left over for the Squad, a few off-kilter mini's, and another Titans experiment that I doubt many people expect to last more than 24 issues. The variety we saw even ten years ago is a thing of the past.

Even Arrow and Aquaman can't carry solo books anymore, and between them they have a billion dollar film and a tv show that kicked off an entire tv multiverse. If those guys can't cut it in the direct market what hope does the Creeper, or even the JSA have?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

If they give PKJ Mendonca or Ossio:

Then I think Action won’t miss a beat, both are amazing artists who do gorgeous work. Ossio is working on a Superman cover so I’m hoping he’s getting put on Action:
    I've been digging Mendonca since Aquaman so I'd welcome him. Hell, DC has lots of great artists working I'd like to see on Clark's book (Xermanico is another) but they seem allergic to investing in him long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    DC gave up on long term investment a long time ago. They've just been chasing the short-term sales spike for decades now and its really starting to show. Just look at the most recent solicits, we're basically down to League characters and Bats, with a couple titles left over for the Squad, a few off-kilter mini's, and another Titans experiment that I doubt many people expect to last more than 24 issues. The variety we saw even ten years ago is a thing of the past.

Even Arrow and Aquaman can't carry solo books anymore, and between them they have a billion dollar film and a tv show that kicked off an entire tv multiverse. If those guys can't cut it in the direct market what hope does the Creeper, or even the JSA have?
    Oh, certainly. Even a big adaption doesn't guarantee a book, but according to Williamson the Aquaman/GA stuff is planned and it's not the right time for it yet. With Aquaman, it seems like the intent is to transition to Jackson whereas Ollie is busy being a spy (of all fucking things) and Dinah is Slade's chaperone.

I don't expect to see that sort of variety truly ever return barring some sort of cataclysmic shakeup like DC getting sold to another entity with a different plan for the company. We're seeing more Bat titles pile up each month and the saturation point is coming if it already hasn't. When this ship comes to its halt, it's going to be ugly.

None of that means we can't call attention to their absolutely narrow direction for the company. It feels more like grasping as much money on the way down as possible as opposed to building back up. I don't know that they're actually about to hit catastrophe, but there's definitely a rude awakening coming and the Batbooks are just hitting snooze rather than confronting it.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-14-2021 at 10:51 PM.
    May we never forget:

I always assumed Samapre was leaving after the first arc. So this isn’t that surprising. I’m wondering where Janlin is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I always assumed Samapre was leaving after the first arc. So this isn’t that surprising. I’m wondering where Janlin is though.
    Still drawing Superman & the Authority I guess. I’m doubting he’ll ever hop on at this point, I expect DC to put him elsewhere.