Page 187 of 375 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237287 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 5625

Well its not like Young Guardians were good guys either, they wanted to replace Hal after all. Which happened anyway, so maybe they were right?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    That part tracked. It was their actions afterwards that made me lament DC throwing away Morrison's Young Guardians so quickly. I get that the concept of unknowable yet benevolent cosmic beings doesn't lend itself as easily to real world metaphors for our own political reality but I've grown a little bored of the same corrupt space bureaucrats.
    But if they're good we can't call them the Bloompa Loompas without being assholes and I can't not use that name!

I'm tired of evil space chancellors too, but it is what it is. We needed a reason he'd be abandoned by everyone and, well, it works.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Well its not like Young Guardians were good guys either, they wanted to replace Hal after all. Which happened anyway, so maybe they were right?
    I don't need the Guardians to be "good", I want them to be immortal beings whose motivations are unknowable, which I get is not something that works very well for most stories that are basically just Earth stuff...but in space.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 12-03-2021 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    But if they're good we can't call them the Bloompa Loompas without being assholes and I can't not use that name!

I'm tired of evil space chancellors too, but it is what it is. We needed a reason he'd be abandoned by everyone and, well, it works.
    Yeah, that’s my main issue. It felt too much like plot mechanics for my tastes. It wasn’t a deal breaker or anything, but I would have preferred a more interesting solution than more space politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't need the Guardians to be "good", I want them to be immortal beings whose motivations are unknowable, which I get is not something that works very well for most stories that are basically just Earth stuff...but in space.
    Not really sure how the Guardians going “nah ignore that request for aid from Superman” would be much better. If they’re turning a blind eye to suffering than what good are they? You’d also have the GLs looking like major assholes for not going “lmao screw that” and going to help Superman anyway.

Personally I’m digging the role interstellar politics is playing in all this.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Not really sure how the Guardians going “nah ignore that request for aid from Superman” would be much better. If they’re turning a blind eye to suffering than what good are they? You’d also have the GLs looking like major assholes for not going “lmao screw that” and going to help Superman anyway.

Personally I’m digging the role interstellar politics is playing in all this.
    Since both the Guardians and the GLCorps are out of commission for the moment thanks to the events in that series, it's all kind of a moot point, isn't it? I'm not saying I would have necessarily preferred the Guardians leaving Superman to rot on Warworld, I'm just saying that replacing the old morally compromised Guardians with the new morally compromised United Planets hasn't really changed anything. They just swapped one set of dodgy space bureaucrats out for another.

Again, I understand that it's much easier to tell sci-fi stories that resonate with our real world by simply making them exactly like us, but with different colored skin and lots of extra appendages and space stuff. I just wish they'd not gone right back to the exact same well again after just establishing the United Planets, I mean, we couldn't have shown them as a force for good in the universe for a few years before the inevitable and oh-so-predictable reveal that they're no different from nearly every other organization in adventure fiction?

I get it though. As far as plot mechanics go, this was a perfectly adequate way to explain why Superman's being stranded on Warworld with no help coming. I just wish they'd been a little more imaginative about it than the old chestnut of politicians are dirtbags. Which, don't get me wrong, I absolutely agree with, but I get more than enough of that in the real world.

Wow, this issue was incredible. It truly feels like the Warworld Saga will be a memorable Superman epic.
    Ps: I don't think any of the Authority members are truly dead, at least I hope not.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

"Mongul MDCCXCII of Warwold," (as noted in the UP session). Very Medieval. So much so, I had a flashback to the Medieval Europe courses I took in undergrad, heh
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    "Mongul MDCCXCII of Warwold," (as noted in the UP session). Very Medieval. So much so, I had a flashback to the Medieval Europe courses I took in undergrad, heh
    Mind saying what those Roman numerals translate to numberswise, I never took any Medieval History courses
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Mind saying what those Roman numerals translate to numberswise, I never took any Medieval History courses
    1792 in 10Char.

1792 in 10Char.
    Damn that’s a lot of Monguls. Any significance to the number/year I wonder? Glancing at Wikipedia that was the year the last Holy Roman Emperor took the throne. Wonder if that’s related to the plans for Mongul?

Damn that’s a lot of Monguls. Any significance to the number/year I wonder? Glancing at Wikipedia that was the year the last Holy Roman Emperor took the throne. Wonder if that’s related to the plans for Mongul?
    Might just be Johnson giving room to expand on the history of the "Mongul" title lineage and picked the biggest number that came to mind first.

Similar to how "Caesar" started as a name that turned into a title with Roman Emperors and other nations like Kaiser for Germans/HRE and Tsar/Czar for Russians.

Might just be Johnson giving room to expand on the history of the "Mongul" title lineage and picked the biggest number that came to mind first.

Similar to how "Caesar" started as a name that turned into a title with Roman Emperors and other nations like Kaiser for Germans/HRE and Tsar/Czar for Russians.
    I’m probably just overthinking it but you never know lol

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

That's possible. PKJ seems to write with intent, but I'll also add that I think he's trying to show that they're old-- older than possibly than Earth civilization, and that it's a long dynasty Clark can't topple-- that it's endured this long makes it the longest chain of all, so to speak, so "He Who Holds All Chains" does so by virtue of also holding the longest.

Naturally, this will eventually be undone.
    May we never forget:

Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That's possible. PKJ seems to write with intent, but I'll also add that I think he's trying to show that they're old-- older than possibly than Earth civilization, and that it's a long dynasty Clark can't topple-- that it's endured this long makes it the longest chain of all, so to speak, so "He Who Holds All Chains" does so by virtue of also holding the longest.

Naturally, this will eventually be undone.
    Ah gotcha, specific number doesn’t matter, just a way to convey that from the Warzoons perspective Mongul is a title that existed long before Superman and will exist long after Superman is gone.