Page 19 of 376 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Timm would not have been my first choice for a spread ad, I’ll admit. I would rather have had Sampere do it. Still I like the ad well enough.
    You're kind of just happy they did one at all .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    You're kind of just happy they did one at all .
    Heh when it comes to Superman I take what I can get from DC. The Blue & Red covers were all-timers at least!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Heh when it comes to Superman I take what I can get from DC. The Blue & Red covers were all-timers at least!
    This is my approach as well, though the Superman one certainly does feel the weakest. Still, I enjoy Timms.

But Manapul or Shaner would have been my picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Personally speaking it's not that I necessarily NEED superstars. All the Tom Kings and Scott Snyders and Geoff Johnses were once nobodies. Maybe PKJ will be the next Morrison. Also: my favorite Superman run ever was the Loeb/Kelly one, and none of those authors was really an A-lister when they made it.
    However, I actually find it curious that there are so few BIG announcements regarding huge names and basically no real relaunch (most of these series sound like a continuation from before Death Metal), so I am actually wondering whether it is really tied to what is happening with the cuts and firing at AT&T.
    I think Hsssh is on the right track.

Over the last couple years, have any of DC's big name writers *really* made that big an impact on sales?

Johns doesn't move units like he used to. Bendis doesn't move units like he used to. King and Snyder might still have solid name pull but it's hard to quantify since they basically just write Batman, Bat-centric big Events, and mini's with random D-listers. But they likely all still get that high-end page rate.

Anyone know what the sales were like on King's Wal-Mart exclusive Superman book, once that hit the LCS? I vaguely recall it selling roughly the same as Bendis and Tomasi; maybe a bit higher but not to any worthwhile degree.

So if those creators aren't really moving the needle on the ongoings, then it makes sense to bring in some fresh blood, and let those big names focus on more self-contained stories that can be evergreen sellers in the trade market. Worst case scenario is what, the sales dip slightly and DC breaks even, or even makes a little extra, thanks to lower page rates. Best case scenario is we get creators who can excite fans again while the old guard do self-contained work that people will buy at Barns & Noble for years to come.

And yeah, that ad might not be the best of the three but Timms is a damn fine artist and the ad isn't bad at all. The layout isn't as good as the others and that's what does the most damage, but this still looks good. Teenaged me would've loved to have that as a poster.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-17-2020 at 07:50 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Over the last couple years, have any of DC's big name writers *really* made that big an impact on sales?

Johns doesn't move units like he used to. Bendis doesn't move units like he used to. King and Snyder might still have solid name pull but it's hard to quantify since they basically just write Batman, Bat-centric big Events, and mini's with random D-listers. But they likely all still get that high-end page rate.

Anyone know what the sales were like on King's Wal-Mart exclusive Superman book, once that hit the LCS? I vaguely recall it selling roughly the same as Bendis and Tomasi; maybe a bit higher but not to any worthwhile degree.

So if those creators aren't really moving the needle on the ongoings, then it makes sense to bring in some fresh blood, and let those big names focus on more self-contained stories that can be evergreen sellers in the trade market. Worst case scenario is what, the sales dip slightly and DC breaks even, or even makes a little extra, thanks to lower page rates. Best case scenario is we get creators who can excite fans again while the old guard do self-contained work that people will buy at Barns & Noble for years to come.
    Bold of you to think Barnes & Noble will be here for years to come!

But I hope they are.

Personally speaking it's not that I necessarily NEED superstars. All the Tom Kings and Scott Snyders and Geoff Johnses were once nobodies. Maybe PKJ will be the next Morrison. Also: my favorite Superman run ever was the Loeb/Kelly one, and none of those authors was really an A-lister when they made it.
    However, I actually find it curious that there are so few BIG announcements regarding huge names and basically no real relaunch (most of these series sound like a continuation from before Death Metal), so I am actually wondering whether it is really tied to what is happening with the cuts and firing at AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Bold of you to think Barnes & Noble will be here for years to come!

But I hope they are.
    lol

What can I say, the Nightwing news today has me feeling optimistic.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

lol

What can I say, the Nightwing news today has me feeling optimistic.
    I know, some of the early stuff coming out of March is looking good and I'm doing my best to contain myself but some news (as you mentioned, Nightwing getting big name talent being key) is making it a bit hard not to get excited. I'm sure the bubble will burst, but it's fun. Hell, they got me hoping Wally isn't going to get dragged out to build up Barry and then buried again.

Hell, Ollie and Dinah are together in a book again! When's that monkey's paw going to reveal it's dark cost?

The 5G plan that was rumored was Jon patrolling the Bottled City of Metropolis (which is happening in 5G) and Clark leading the Authority (which isn’t). Jon protecting Earth while Clark is off in space is the Future State plan though. It’s why I don’t think it’s the long term plan for the books.

Right? I hate how eager Superman writers are to bring Batman into their run. Batman fans can go entire runs without seeing or mentioning Superman, but we usually have Batman show up in the first damn issue of a new writer’s run. Both Tomasi & Bendis were guilty of that. I hope Johnson breaks the streak, I’m happy to hear Irons may get more play.
    And short term it might be ok. I am probably just panicking at the the thought of them keeping Superman in space for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I know, some of the early stuff coming out of March is looking good and I'm doing my best to contain myself but some news (as you mentioned, Nightwing getting big name talent being key) is making it a bit hard not to get excited. I'm sure the bubble will burst, but it's fun. Hell, they got me hoping Wally isn't going to get dragged out to build up Barry and then buried again.

Hell, Ollie and Dinah are together in a book again! When's that monkey's paw going to reveal it's dark cost?
    Injustice 3 announcement tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    And short term it might be ok. I am probably just panicking at the the thought of them keeping Superman in space for years.
    Ah, that’s been Hal Jordan’s shtick for the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

Ah, that’s been Hal Jordan’s shtick for the past decade.
    Taylor’s usual Injustice artists all have other books, so I think we’re safe for the moment lol. He did say he had multiple DC series though, and there may be more books coming down the road. We still haven’t heard what Venditti is doing (unless he’s not doing anything anymore).

And yeah, that ad might not be the best of the three but Timms is a damn fine artist and the ad isn't bad at all. The layout isn't as good as the others and that's what does the most damage, but this still looks good. Teenaged me would've loved to have that as a poster.
    It’s a bit tricky to judge how effective star writers are anymore. On one hand, Hickman clearly has star power, dude totally revitalized the X-Line. Ewing has turned Hulk into a sales powerhouse it hasn’t been in years. Cates did the same for Venom. But Ewing’s Guardians sales have been pretty soft from what I’ve seen.

At DC Taylor’s Injustice comics are huge, but his name didn’t move Suicide Squad’s numbers at all, that book was cancellation tier pretty fast despite Harley being in it. King seems to have star power given freaking Mister Miracle and Strange Adventures sell very well for C-Listers. Snyder hasn’t written a non-Batman book since Swamp Thing so I can’t tell where he is. Johns and Morrison don’t command attention anymore, Shazam sold meh (not helped by Johns inability to get issues out on time) and TGL sales have been about the same as Venditti’s. Three Jokers sold obscenely well but it was a Batman book with... three Jokers in it lol.

DC is looking for their own Al Ewing or Donny Cates right now, that much is clear. Hence all this new talent being given lots of power. Still it’s a gamble, one that could end up failing them, hence why you still see Tynion and Williamson around since those guys have already proved themselves without being old timers like Tomasi & Jurgens are.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    More of a when than an if, I'm afraid.

Nevertheless... You sonnuvabitch! *Shakes fist*

Astonishing Member

I have just realized something.
    If Jon Kent stays in adult mode throughout 2021, he will have been a young Superman longer than he had been a kid.
    He was introduced in Convergence: Superman 2 (2015) and he first appeared as an adult in Superman 6 (2018) (without counting Super-sons maxiseries, which seems secondary when compared to "regular" continuity).
    So I'd say that adult Jon Kent will be THE canon relatively soon (and he has been the goddamn focus of basically every single story since he appeared first, but it was something we could expect actually).
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member

OK, maybe. But I was actually thinking about the artists, too. I mean, Hester is good and Sampere may be a decent artist, too. But where are the A-listers?
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

I am seriously afraid that Action Comics and Superman ARE about to become Jon's outgoing series.
    I don’t really get it. Is Jon popular (especially teenage Jon) and I just haven’t seen the fanbase? I don’t find teenage Jon appealing and I certainly haven’t seen a ton of love for the character on message boards. I don’t get DC’s need to have him front and center in the Superman books.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

and he has been the goddamn focus of basically every single story since he appeared first
    Not in bendis's actual run on the mainline.Clark was the protagonist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I don’t really get it. Is Jon popular (especially teenage Jon) and I just haven’t seen the fanbase? I don’t find teenage Jon appealing and I certainly haven’t seen a ton of love for the character on message boards. I don’t get DC’s need to have him front and center in the Superman books.
    He isn't the most popular character out there.But,he does create buzz.Nobody actually cared about stories in bendis run on the mainline(except for the secret id being outed.2nd time so less impact ).People were largley talking about jon whether for or against with things like the age up or formation of united planets.He is a new character.Most importantly,supersons does seem to help build fanbase.And dceased has helped as well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-18-2020 at 01:32 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"