Page 3 of 375 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I hope you're wrong as the dynamic wouldn't be the same. *crosses fingers*
    No i mean,they could simply do supersons and superboy adventures as stories set in past like in the silverage.Like they are doing with tomasi's supersons.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    First of it means more Mikel Janin doing more Superman work. Hell yeah.

Second: I'm glad that they aren't just retconning the last few years away. People might hate Jon (both the Jurgens/Tomasi and the Bendis versions) and outing Superman's ID,but ,while I've had my issues with Bendis' run, there is some good stuff there and I've enjoyed how he's handled the "outing" of Clark ,especially compared to "Truth". The only options at this point would have been a hard reset everything back to the old status quo for the sake of doing it, or take the best of what was left over and carry it forward and do something interesting. It seems Kennedy is doing the later,so I'm going to give him a chance.
    I couldn't disagree with you more if I tried. IMO, this is one case where a retcon is 100% justified as the current radical status quo greatly restricts what sort of stories the incoming writer can tell. I feel sorry for Johnson being saddled by Bendis' garbage run. I wish him luck, he'll need it, I fear.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-16-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    No i mean,they could simply do supersons and superboy adventures as stories set in past like in the silverage.Like they are doing with tomasi's supersons.
    Ah, I see. That would certainly work.

Second: I'm glad that they aren't just retconning the last few years away. People might hate Jon (both the Jurgens/Tomasi and the Bendis versions) and outing Superman's ID,but ,while I've had my issues with Bendis' run, there is some good stuff there and I've enjoyed how he's handled the "outing" of Clark ,especially compared to "Truth". The only options at this point would have been a hard reset everything back to the old status quo for the sake of doing it, or take the best of what was left over and carry it forward and do something interesting. It seems Kennedy is doing the later,so I'm going to give him a chance.
    I admit I'm pretty over "Marvel Hero Superman" but hopefully PKJ continues Clark's story well (and doesn't replace him with Jon).

Astonishing Member

I think it's too early to draw any conclusions regarding Jon. In any case, now we simply could not get de-age out of nowhere, Bendis has no time for this, and Death Metal will not be a reboot that simply erases something from reality.

Starting a new direction with a crossover is... not ideal.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I admit I'm pretty over "Marvel Hero Superman" but hopefully PKJ continues Clark's story well (and doesn't replace him with Jon).
    I am on the opposite side.Until they can update clark kent superman and his troupes,themes..etc properly and keep it entertaining without feeling like a drag or contrived.He needs to be out of the spotlight.As for being marvel hero superman.Well,byrne did that as well.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 12-16-2020 at 11:15 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As am I.

My biggest fear is out a desire not to offend Bendis (who the company has invested a greater deal in) that Editorial has mandated his changes remain in an effect which would be a disastrous handicap for the incoming creative team. I hope I'm wrong.

I will say though I'm shocked that Mark Waid isn't going to be involved in all this. With DiDio gone, I think we all assumed that was the only thing keeping Waid from writing Superman,but perhaps there are other things at work. Perhaps Waid wanted to shift things back to something closer to the old status quo ( as in the old "not married to Lois and her not knowing his secret identity status quo) and DC isn't willing to roll things back THAT far. Or,maybe they just want to give a new voice a shot for a change?
    That more than anything is the big reason why I believe. There’s a ton of new blood coming into DC at the moment, and Waid is an old creator like Jurgens and Tomasi (neither of whom have main books so far you may notice). I wish they had given either Watters or Lewis a Superman book alongside PKJ but it is what it is. I do think Waid will get a BL book, and if he does a follow up to Birthright there then I’m 100% ok with that.

I will say though I'm shocked that Mark Waid isn't going to be involved in all this. With DiDio gone, I think we all assumed that was the only thing keeping Waid from writing Superman,but perhaps there are other things at work. Perhaps Waid wanted to shift things back to something closer to the old status quo ( as in the old "not married to Lois and her not knowing his secret identity status quo) and DC isn't willing to roll things back THAT far. Or,maybe they just want to give a new voice a shot for a change?
    As someone who thought Bendis' run had some really good ideas that were not executed very well, I'm very interested in seeing where someone else can take those ideas. I was pretty meh on the Waid rumors for the thought that they'd go back to one of those old status quos again. But he's definitely doing something Superman related. However, when the DC bloodbath happened over the summer there were all those rumors of how they weren't going to be going with "big name" talent for the monthly books anymore because the contracts weren't worth it. It's possible Waid is doing something more prestige/bookstore related.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I am on the opposite side.Until they can update clark kent superman and his troupes,themes..etc properly and keep it entertaining without feeling like a drag or contrived.He needs to be out of the spotlight.As for being marvel hero superman.Well,byrne did that as well.
    I feel like they've updated them well enough that I'm happy keeping them, but that's just me.

Definitely not for me. But my hopes, albeit there a little bit with a new regime, were slim that it was going to be anyway.

Best guess though as far as where its all going is that in the storyline to save his father, Jon makes some big sacrifice in the end that ends up having a cumulative effect that brings back the secret ID, maybe deages him or seemingly kills him. As pessimistic as I am about this era of Superman, from the sound of it, it doesn't look like they're going to replace Superman with Jon this time. If the storyline is explicitly to save Clark, they'll probably succeed.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-16-2020 at 11:27 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

It's possible Waid is doing something more prestige/bookstore related.
    Maybe he's writing Flash, for example. We still have zero information about Flash title.
    Best guess though as far as where its all going is that in the storyline to save his father, Jon makes some big sacrifice in the end that ends up having a cumulative effect that brings back the secret ID, maybe deages him or seemingly kills him.
    Good point, by the way.

Not sure how to feel about this. I'm all for a fresh voice, but I don't know about him having both books.

I don't even mind him building off of Bendis' run (even if I hate adult Jon). I think there's still a lot to explore with Superman's identity being exposed.

It sounds like he's building to something huge:

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Kennedy Johnson View Post
    But the primary story we’re building towards in the first half of 2021 is something insanely epic, on a scale I haven’t seen in Superman comics since the Death and Life [storyline from the 1990s]. It’s an event that will change not just Superman’s status quo, but the DC Universe’s too. Because of the nature of that story and the places it will take us, Superman’s supporting cast will largely consist of new characters soon, and some fan-favorite DC characters you wouldn’t necessarily associate with Superman. His world gets way, way bigger in 2021.
    This is a major claim on his part. I wish him the best of luck, but this could fall flat. I'm willing to give him a fair shot though.

I've been pushing for fresh voices for a while so that fact alone doesn't bother me at all. Its purely the content right now that doesn't seem to be up my alley, but I'm very glad for a newcomer like Johnson and all the newcomers getting gigs here. And if his claim about the epic storyline is true, I'll probably have to at least venture in to see that one and where it takes things. As always my caveat is simple: don't replace Kal. For now though I'm still just keeping an ear to the ground. Its not upsetting news or anything, just kinda lateral as it stands right now. But the theories of not just dropping Bendis's stuff with quick retcons, rather working with it even if stuff will be reversed in the course of a story, that seems to be what they elected here.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El