Page 4 of 375 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Maybe he's writing Flash, for example. We still have zero information about Flash title.
    I don't think Waid would ever take the Flash title again.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeJP View Post
    ....This is a major claim on his part. I wish him the best of luck, but this could fall flat. I'm willing to give him a fair shot though.
    True, The "new cast" (especially) and epic change bits are giving me flashbacks of the unmitigated disaster that was Ben Reilly Spider-Man in the wake of the 1990s' Era Clone Saga. *shudders in fear*
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Definitely not for me. But my hopes, albeit there a little bit with a new regime, were slim that it was going to be anyway.

Best guess though as far as where its all going is that in the storyline to save his father, Jon makes some big sacrifice in the end that ends up having a cumulative effect that brings back the secret ID, maybe deages him or seemingly kills him. As pessimistic as I am about this era of Superman, from the sound of it, it doesn't look like they're going to replace Superman with Jon this time. If the storyline is explicitly to save Clark, they'll probably succeed.
    I think that this or something similar may be the direction they are going for.

It sure isn't the relaunch most people were hoping for, even if I think that PKJ may be an intriguing writer by his own account. But somehow his forthcoming work on Future State seems to be MORE intriguing than what they announced for the regular series. Maybe because there are no real superstars on the art - except for Janin.
    The impression I have is that it is more of a wrap-up of Bendis' still open subplots before a REAL relaunch than anything else. Which may even sound as a waste of PKJ's talent, quite frankly. I don't think that it will last more than 6 issues, though.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

I really don't like the idea of Superman's son being an adult. I really wish they'd deage Jon to like 12 but I think it's less likely that will happen now. Feel like they missed out on telling stories of his growth. Thanks Bendis

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    As someone who thought Bendis' run had some really good ideas that were not executed very well, I'm very interested in seeing where someone else can take those ideas. I was pretty meh on the Waid rumors for the thought that they'd go back to one of those old status quos again. But he's definitely doing something Superman related. However, when the DC bloodbath happened over the summer there were all those rumors of how they weren't going to be going with "big name" talent for the monthly books anymore because the contracts weren't worth it. It's possible Waid is doing something more prestige/bookstore related.
    Waid was doing a big reread of Superman a while back. Since he’s not here I feel pretty sure he’s got a Black Label Superman book coming, same as King.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Definitely not for me. But my hopes, albeit there a little bit with a new regime, were slim that it was going to be anyway.

Best guess though as far as where its all going is that in the storyline to save his father, Jon makes some big sacrifice in the end that ends up having a cumulative effect that brings back the secret ID, maybe deages him or seemingly kills him. As pessimistic as I am about this era of Superman, from the sound of it, it doesn't look like they're going to replace Superman with Jon this time. If the storyline is explicitly to save Clark, they'll probably succeed.
    I don’t think undoing everything is in the cards man, not with Bendis poised to take over JL it looks like. I don’t think Jon is going to die or be deaged any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Maybe he's writing Flash, for example. We still have zero information about Flash title.

Good point, by the way.
    I 100% think either the FS team or Tom Taylor is getting Flash. Waid is old blood who has written Flash before multiple times, DC is putting fresh faces on their books for this initiative.
    Quote Originally Posted by StrikeJP View Post
    Not sure how to feel about this. I'm all for a fresh voice, but I don't know about him having both books.

I don't even mind him building off of Bendis' run (even if I hate adult Jon). I think there's still a lot to explore with Superman's identity being exposed.

It sounds like he's building to something huge:

This is a major claim on his part. I wish him the best of luck, but this could fall flat. I'm willing to give him a fair shot though.
    Yeah I’m curious to see what his plans are. I like that Superman is not going into a holding pattern, for better or for worse this guy is swinging for the fences. The ambition has me excited and interested, but I’m still cautious about PKJ getting three Superman books. If he falls flat on his face, Superman is in for a world of hurt.
    Last edited by Vordan; 12-16-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I really don't like the idea of Superman's son being an adult. I really wish they'd deage Jon to like 12 but I think it's less likely that will happen now. Feel like they missed out on telling stories of his growth. Thanks Bendis
    I couldn't agree with you more.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

agree with the majority in that I'm somewhat excited to have a new (and relatively unknown) voice on the books, but def kind of a bummer they went with the single author model yet again. but between a new writer and the red & blue anthology, I think it's at the very least a promising immediate future.

PJK seems to have an appreciation for the character so that's a plus. He did toss in the ol' cliche of, "changing Superman and the DC universe forever," so not sure what that bodes. these types of things usually ring hollow as platitudes.

overall though, I'll take the glass is half full approach. for now anyway, until they prove us all doubters wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    It's official, Phillip Kennedy Johnson is the new writer of both Superman and Action Comics:

"Phillip Kennedy Johnson’s run on both series begins with his first issues forming a two-part story titled “The Golden Age,” which brings Jon Kent, the grown son of Superman, back from the 31st Century to save his father’s life — and help Superman solve the mystery of what’s behind this latest almost deadly attack."

Interview with the writer: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...his-epic-plans

I’ve read/am reading a couple of this guy’s books (Low Road West/The Last God) , and neither of them were/are straight up Superhero stories, but both were/are quite good.
    He’s not the person I’d have imagined scoring one of the biggest gigs in comics. I’m curious enough to check this out.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    The impression I have is that it is more of a wrap-up of Bendis' still open subplots before a REAL relaunch than anything else. Which may even sound as a waste of PKJ's talent, quite frankly. I don't think that it will last more than 6 issues, though.
    Cleaning house for Waid?

I am looking forward to seeing what PKJ brings in Future State though. I would have liked two different writers taking a book but if these are good, I won't care

Astonishing Member

Cleaning house for Waid?
    Waid or someone else, yeah.
    If there is a Black Label series with Waid or King at helm, PKJ will stay though. And maybe Jon WILL replace Clark, at least for some time.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Astonishing Member

Cleaning house for Waid?
    And what's the point of that? They are clearly focusing on young authors, while top writers are moving more towards Black Label. Waid, if he took a book, would clear the house himself without much difficulty, he doesn't need someone to do it.

Overall I’m feeling pretty upbeat about how Superman & DC as a whole will look in March. Yang on Batman/Superman, some cool new creators writing Superman in Blue & Red, PKJ seems to have a plan and ambition for where to take Superman next, King has a BL Superman/Superfamily project in the works, Bendis will keep writing Superman in JL, all we need is a BL Superman book for Waid and I’d feel pretty satisfied. May end up all crashing and burning but it’s nice to be optimistic about the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Overall I’m feeling pretty upbeat about how Superman & DC as a whole will look in March. Yang on Batman/Superman, some cool new creators writing Superman in Blue & Red, PKJ seems to have a plan and ambition for where to take Superman next, King has a BL Superman/Superfamily project in the works, Bendis will keep writing Superman in JL, all we need is a BL Superman book for Waid and I’d feel pretty satisfied. May end up all crashing and burning but it’s nice to be optimistic about the future.
    I'm excited about Yang and the anthology book.

King is King.

The roster is the most interesting part of Bendis being on JL at this point.

I haven't read PKJ but I hope he writes Superman well. Seems like too much Jon so far and I'm not crazy about some of Bendis' changes sticking around longer, but it is what it is.

But overall I wouldn't say things are half-bad for Superman comic-wise.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Interview's nice and avoids some (but not all) of the typical boilerplate, at least sounds like he's got big ideas. Gonna be very nice art, though I'm curious what the division between the books will be after the first month aside from those killer backups. Cannot avoid that this feels like DC going "nerds hated Bendis, guess that means Superman's boned, time to scale his books back", and the way he talks about his active service and how I understand that fed into his Captain America story has me...concerned. I'll give it a shot, I'd be taking this much worse if Red & Blue and whatever Waid's Black Label thing will be weren't on the horizon.
    Buh-bye