Page 61 of 375 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111161 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s clearly a way of justifying why there are going to be two Supermen, but Clark is seemingly going to be keeping Action, so he won’t be shoved completely out of the spotlight. So far it looks like they’re continuing the Rebirth/Bendis set up, one book is the Superman & Jon show, the other for solo Superman adventures. Yang’s Batman/Superman book is also going to seemingly keep the focus on Clark & Bruce (although the Multiverse setup easily justifies bringing in other versions if he wants).

I’m also still holding out hope for some Black Label Superman projects, King has one coming, hopefully Waid does too.
    I'm oddly reminded of all the hoops they jumped through to make Jane Foster Thor and weaken OG!Thor, but it seems like this won't be as dramatic for Clark and he'll still have his own book.

BANNED

the worst thing about this situation is that it is totally unnecessary. If you want Jon as Superman, but Clark is still Superman, it would make things very difficult for Jon, divide the timeline into 2.
    Clark / Superman in the present.
    Jon / Superman in the future, with a retired Clark letting the new generation fight for their beliefs
    they could actually do it with the entire DC universe, they're already doing it with the Legion.
    but DC = minimum effort, that when it gets complicated I can always create a crisis and be interesting.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    the worst thing about this situation is that it is totally unnecessary. If you want Jon as Superman, but Clark is still Superman, it would make things very difficult for Jon, divide the timeline into 2.
    Clark / Superman in the present.
    Jon / Superman in the future, with a retired Clark letting the new generation fight for their beliefs
    they could actually do it with the entire DC universe, they're already doing it with the Legion.
    but DC = minimum effort, that when it gets complicated I can always create a crisis and be interesting.
    But then it won't matter*tm.

What's the point of the new status quo post-DM if we're not going to use it? They're doing an Old Man Bruce story but a future Superman plot is too much? What? Guess only DC's favorite son can have a current status quo running alongside other books.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-16-2021 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    They're doing an Old Man Bruce story but a future Superman plot is too much? What?
    To be fair, I think the Bruce story is kind of a dumb and uninteresting idea too. Even if a writer I really like is attached to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    To be fair, I think the Bruce story is kind of a dumb and uninteresting idea too. Even if a writer I really like is attached to it.
    I mean I'm not going to buy it but if they're allowing Bruce to operate as Batman in the current status quo while we do a Tim Fox origin story and a Old Man Bruce story-- all at the same time-- there's no reason we can't just have stories where Clark is retired and Jon is Superman set in the future instead of having to upend the status quo and shift it away from Clark, Lois and the things most people equate with Superman. DM, schlock that it was, gave them a status quo of "everyone can win" and yet they're not even going to use it when instituting a massive change.

They're probably afraid doing so will undercut Jon's chances at landing-- which is weird considering they're not worried about Bruce Wayne undercutting Tim.

BANNED

But then it won't matter*tm.

What's the point of the new status quo post-DM if we're not going to use it? They're doing an Old Man Bruce story but a future Superman plot is too much? What? Guess only DC's favorite son can have a current status quo running alongside other books.
    Until Bruce does not lose the title of Batman,magically lose his intelligence and ability, kick him off the planet, say that the new Batman is much better than him, his comics are reduced to only 1, superman come out at all s batmam comic. until everything this does not happen, superman and batman live in totally dic worlds different.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Until Bruce does not lose the title of Batman,magically lose his intelligence and ability, kick him off the planet, say that the new Batman is much better than him, his comics are reduced to only 1, superman come out at all s batmam comic. until everything this does not happen, superman and batman live in totally dic worlds different.
    They have for a long time.

The whole "new era" thing was just DC trying to give themselves a license to do what they've already been doing.

"Look, there's a reason now that continuity doesn't work and characters inexplicably come back to life! Now we don't have to try and make anything the least bit consistent! (But buy all these books, they're required reading!)"

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    The whole "new era" thing was just DC trying to give themselves a license to do what they've already been doing.

"Look, there's a reason now that continuity doesn't work and characters inexplicably come back to life! Now we don't have to try and make anything the least bit consistent! (But buy all these books, they're required reading!)"
    Continuity doesn’t work because Big 2 storytelling is told by multiple writers over multiple decades. It’s never going to fit together as one big whole because that just doesn’t work. Marvel is no exception to this. Aaron keeps messing with the origin of Mjolnir for example, or retroactively making Odin more of a dick. People need to stop demanding stuff from the 90s or 80s being held to strictly because that’s never been how it works and it never will be. This obsession with looking back and trying to “fix” continuity is killing DC, so many worthless events about meta narratives on how “history is broken but this time we’ll fix it!” instead of simple storytelling.

Continuity doesn’t work because Big 2 storytelling is told by multiple writers over multiple decades. It’s never going to fit together as one big whole because that just doesn’t work. Marvel is no exception to this. Aaron keeps messing with the origin of Mjolnir for example, or retroactively making Odin more of a dick. People need to stop demanding stuff from the 90s or 80s being held to strictly because that’s never been how it works and it never will be. This obsession with looking back and trying to “fix” continuity is killing DC, so many worthless events about meta narratives on how “history is broken but this time we’ll fix it!” instead of simple storytelling.
    I take it you didn't enjoy Infinite Convergence: Final Metal.

I take it you didn't enjoy Infinite Convergence: Final Metal.
    I enjoyed the first Metal because for all its flaws it’s a pretty straightforward story. A bunch of evil Batmen show up and want to conquer the Multiverse. That’s simple and straightforward. Death Metal I enjoyed mostly for the Capullo art and the tie-ins, although I didn’t think the main story was too bad.

My favorite DC events are the non-meta ones. No Man’s Land, Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, hell I even enjoyed Flashpoint. I’m praying that whatever PKJ’s Superman event in Sept is, it’s not a metastory. Superman really needs a big “event” because like it or not, those are the ones that grab people’s attention and hold it. I wish New Krypton had been that but sadly I just have to keep hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm oddly reminded of all the hoops they jumped through to make Jane Foster Thor and weaken OG!Thor, but it seems like this won't be as dramatic for Clark and he'll still have his own book.
    Jason Aaron did something interesting with that. Jane Foster had an interesting conflict and Thor Odinson had an interesting arc. This doesn't seem like it will be as good

I do think whoever made writing about story a thing probably deserves a solid kick in the pants. I too am so goddamn over it and how self satisfied the writer comes across while doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Jason Aaron did something interesting with that. Jane Foster had an interesting conflict and Thor Odinson had an interesting arc. This doesn't seem like it will be as good
    I feel the opposite of you. I didn’t think Aaron did a good job handling that at all, whereas so far what I’m hearing from PKJ has me interested. Aaron just dumped on Odinson to shill Jane, and Thor didn’t really do anything while he was hammerless. Just moped and sulked until he finally got it back. Also absolutely hated that he couldn’t even use his name while he was without his hammer, that was the dumbest **** ever.

I do think whoever made writing about story a thing probably deserves a solid kick in the pants. I too am so goddamn over it and how self satisfied the writer comes across while doing it.
    I don’t hate metastorytelling as a whole (I am a Morrison fanboy after all) but I hate this specific story DC keeps doing. The “oh man the DCU sure is dark hahaha, oh and continuity doesn’t make any sense does it haha, well don’t worry, we’re going to restore HOPE and HEROISM and our continuity will make sense! Just buy this event and all its tie ins please”. Sick of that story, just start telling better ones.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-17-2021 at 03:06 AM.

I feel the opposite of you. I didn’t think Aaron did a good job handling that at all, whereas so far what I’m hearing from PKJ has me interested. Aaron just dumped on Odinson to shill Jane, and Thor didn’t really do anything while he was hammerless. Just moped and sulked until he finally got it back. Also absolutely hated that he couldn’t even use his name while he was without his hammer, that was the dumbest **** ever.

I don’t hate metastorytelling as a whole (I am a Morrison fanboy after all) but I hate this specific story DC keeps doing. The “oh man the DCU sure is dark hahaha, oh and continuity doesn’t make any sense does it haha, well don’t worry, we’re going to restore HOPE and HEROISM and our continuity will make sense! Just buy this event and all its tie ins please”. Sick of that story, just start telling better ones.
    You hit on why I don't much care for Aaron's Thor. Especially how apparently anyone holding the hammer also steals his given name. Imagine.

I like Morrison too (hell one of my favorite books right now is Once & Future which deals with stories and how they can be interpreted) but yeah I'm so tired of DC trying to tell stories and their continuity. It's like Marvel and Spider clone sagas.

What are the events people remember? Sinestro Corps War, Blackest Night, etc. Those are big crossovers. Those have legs. Do that.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-17-2021 at 03:17 AM.