Page 70 of 375 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480120170 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 5625

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    A little tease of PKJ and Jamal Igle story in Infinite Frontier #0:

"Jonathan Kent is of no place, of no time."

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/stat...26067295461377

I assume this is for the same story:

https://twitter.com/JAMALIGLE/status...40934505975808
    It's the comments for me also that outfit is hideous if we have to suffer through this can he please get his future state suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    It's the comments for me
    After the day I've had, I needed the smile that those comments gave me XD

also that outfit is hideous if we have to suffer through this can he please get his future state suit.
    Yeah, I'm not feeling this at all. It'd be a pretty cool Clark suit. But for Jon....Just no. Stop trying to make him Clark, DC.

Jeez, I cannot blame people for wanting kid Jon back because they don't like the age up version not wanting to give it a chance after they got a bad taste of everyone's mouths thanks to Bendis's tepid and convoluted writing.
    "The law of victory is set!" - Sento Kiryu/Kamen Rider Build
    "I'll clear this even if it means using continues!" - Kuroto Dan/Kamen Rider Gemm
    "You've been warned. We're taking your treasure!" - Kairi Yano/Lupin Red

Join the fun of Earth-27
    https://earth27.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-27_Wiki

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I do wonder if having a new writer will get people to actually read a teen Jon story since so many boycotted most of Jon's stories since the age up just because of Bendis name alone. And his showing in future state superman wasn't that good.

See I can actually kind of accept teen Jon, probably because he’s been around long enough and it doesn’t seem like it’s changing any time soon however it’s also because I’ve gotten to read plenty of young Jon in Challenge of the Supersons and DCeased. Look I’ve been reading since I was a kid, so I’ve gotten used to the idea that you don’t get what you want you only get what they write and you have to decide if you’ll go along for the ride or not. Personally if Johnson can write an enjoyable Jon Kent, whether he’s a teen or not, I’m in.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I do wonder if having a new writer will get people to actually read a teen Jon story since so many boycotted most of Jon's stories since the age up just because of Bendis name alone. And his showing in future state superman wasn't that good.
    Nah the people who are mad about the age up are still going to be mad. But DC clearly is planning on sticking with the aged up Jon for the present, and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if Damian gets aged up to join Jon and Yara rather than Jon getting aged down.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nah the people who are mad about the age up are still going to be mad. But DC clearly is planning on sticking with the aged up Jon for the present, and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if Damian gets aged up to join Jon and Yara rather than Jon getting aged down.
    He still looks quasi-13 in his upcoming solo book, but I guess that could change in a few years.

Although if Yara had existed prior to DCeased, would Taylor have had her hook up with Damian like he did Cassie?

Nah the people who are mad about the age up are still going to be mad. But DC clearly is planning on sticking with the aged up Jon for the present
    ^Bingo^

At this point, minds are pretty much made up on all ends. DC moves forward with what they want, fans of young Jon continue to not get what they want while hoping Super Sons lasts a decent amount of time, fans who don't care either way get a story they'll probably enjoy if they enjoyed Bendis' run, and Conner gets to reclaim his spot as my favorite member the Superfamily (unless they **** him up too. We'll see)

Honestly, even if he didn't age Jon down, I might have been willing to give PKJ's run a shot. But I haven't seen or heard much to believe that he's not just piggybacking off of everything Bendis was setting up. Ideas that I've absolutely hated since their conception. So I'm not even really interested in giving this the 3-4 issue chance that I normally give things. I'm just bowing out of this one. Much like the current Jon, he feels like he's just here to be a continuation of his predecessor rather than his own thing.
    Last edited by Blue22; 02-03-2021 at 06:35 PM.

So apparently both Lewis and Watters are not taking over one of the Superman books after the Sept event. Maybe Williamson or Taylor will get a book, both have written Jon as Superman elsewhere. Damn I don’t know how I feel about the idea of Taylor taking over. On one hand if he worked with Jon it would keep him away from Clark. On the other hand, Taylor just writes Jon as Clark Jr; DCeased Jon is literally just his dad.

I don’t really know who could be taking the book who is already at DC. Brandon Thomas? Dave Wielgosz? I guess maybe they could bring in someone new, don’t know who. If Bendis did return that would be hilarious, there would be a ton of fuming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He still looks quasi-13 in his upcoming solo book, but I guess that could change in a few years.

Although if Yara had existed prior to DCeased, would Taylor have had her hook up with Damian like he did Cassie?
    100% yes, he just wants to do WonderBat and doesn’t care who it’s with. Cassie played zero role in either DCeased beyond being Damian’s girlfriend.

So apparently both Lewis and Watters are not taking over one of the Superman books after the Sept event. Maybe Williamson or Taylor will get a book, both have written Jon as Superman elsewhere. Damn I don’t know how I feel about the idea of Taylor taking over. On one hand if he worked with Jon it would keep him away from Clark. On the other hand, Taylor just writes Jon as Clark Jr; DCeased Jon is literally just his dad.

I don’t really know who could be taking the book who is already at DC. Brandon Thomas? Dave Wielgosz? I guess maybe they could bring in someone new, don’t know who. If Bendis did return that would be hilarious, there would be a ton of fuming.
    As an Elseworld's take on the character I really enjoyed the DCeased versions of Jon and Damian. Taylor was pretty good at writing them both old and young. But those takes on them are not what I'd ever want to see in the main universe. Specifically because...well like you said the older Jon felt (and looked) a lot like Clark. Granted, I saw more shades of the Jon that I like in him than I've seen in any other version of the character. But he's still too Clark for my taste. I'm just willing to give that some leeway because...AU story where he and Damian both HAD to fill their dads shoes.

That said, Taylor is a writer that I mostly trust. I'd have been more than happy to give a Superman run a chance with him at the helm. The only time I've really disliked his work is Injustice but that wasn't really his fault. I hate the Injustice universe as a whole. Considering their extremely different circumstance, I would hope that he'd know to write Jon differently in this hypothetical run than he did in DCeased.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    As an Elseworld's take on the character I really enjoyed the DCeased versions of Jon and Damian. Taylor was pretty good at writing them both old and young. But those takes on them are not what I'd ever want to see in the main universe. Specifically because...well like you said the older Jon felt (and looked) a lot like Clark. Granted, I saw more shades of the Jon that I like in him than I've seen in any other version of the character. But he's still too Clark for my taste. I'm just willing to give that some leeway because...AU story where he and Damian both HAD to fill their dads shoes.

That said, Taylor is a writer that I mostly trust. I'd have been more than happy to give a Superman run a chance with him at the helm. The only time I've really disliked his work is Injustice but that wasn't really his fault. I hate the Injustice universe as a whole. Considering their extremely different circumstance, I would hope that he'd know to write Jon differently in this hypothetical run than he did in DCeased.
    My problems with Taylor beyond my distaste for some of his work is that
    1. I find him pretty shallow as a writer. His plots aren’t really all that deep, he just relies on C-Listers being slaughtered to maintain the stakes. When he’s tried to write mainline stuff he hasn’t found anywhere near the same success as his Elseworld stuff because he can’t rely on slaughtering characters people care about. His GL and Suicide Squad runs were flops.
    2. He shoves his pet characters (Harley Quinn) into everything and I can’t stand most of them
    3. I just don’t think he has any real insights into the character to offer. His characters always feel paper thin to me, almost like caricatures of themselves. He reminds me of Loeb in that he tends to write the characters how pop culture sees them (So Batman is a badass who always has the upper hand, Superman is nice, strong, and really stupid, Diana is GRRRRRR WARRIOR, Harley is le wacky clown girl (ok that one is spot on and why I find Harley insufferable), etc).

It’s fine for him to have his own little corner to play in, but I don’t want him touching muh Superman . I’m going to pull his Nightwing because I’m hoping that will be the first Taylor DC work I enjoy. If he does a good job there I might be more open to him doing Superman.

I’d actually be really open to Williamson doing the Jon book, he made me care about Barry after his Rebirth run which I thought was impossible, he’s a fan of Johns and Morrison while still retaining his own voice, and he’s a massive DC nerd with a love of continuity. Plus his adult Jon in JL seems to be well received, so he’s got a good handle on him I think. I think I’d enjoy him playing in the Superman sandbox.

Williamson is already winning me over with his Damian so he's another writer I'd accept writing Jon. Even if it's...this Jon. His Jon in Future State was actually pretty damn good.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

100% yes, he just wants to do WonderBat and doesn’t care who it’s with. Cassie played zero role in either DCeased beyond being Damian’s girlfriend.
    Where did you find this out?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Taylor is definitely not who I want taking over. Surprising about Lewis. So they gave him the book to set everyone else up and dumped him? That sucks.

To be clear, regardless of the fact that I think aging up Jon Kent made it harder to define who he is, and the fact that I just felt Superman with a kid was still a great and healthy way to make his personal life interesting for a while, there is still a bigger issue. All those moments that kids enjoy with their fathers, the type of moments we love seeing between young Clark and Jonathan Kent, all those moments are gone for one of the most important parts of Jon's childhood/ teenagehood. These would be fun and interesting moments in particular because Clark would probably try to do what his dad did, but those lessons probably wouldn't be what Jon really needs since his situation growing up is so much different from when Clark was growing up.

If they had just jumped forward in time they could've still started writing an older Jon, and although I still would've been disapointed, at least it was still possible to write a story about Clark and Jon when he was 13 years old. But now that possibility is erased until someone changes reality. Bendis wrote the plot in a way that made it impossible to tell a lot of important, fun and interesting flashback stories.