Page 74 of 375 FirstFirst ... 246470717273747576777884124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 5625
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I think I prefer what the story actually is.
    That's cool. I'm sure you're not alone.

It's a lot of telling us the importance of a character without showing us any importance to the character. A lot of superhero titles fall into that though. I think a lot of people dig the affirmation, but it doesn't hold well as a story.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-13-2021 at 07:38 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    My big take away was "Superman: House of El is practically NOTHING BUT Easter eggs, both for other Future State titles and for literally everything I have planned for the upcoming year and beyond. We're playing the long game with the Superman titles for the foreseeable future, and the Future State: Superman titles are very much a part of that."

That's pretty big to me. House of El functions as both a speculative future, and a double sized comic full of hits for the next year and over of Superman comics. I imagine it'll be a really good idea to continue to look back at that story as PKJ's run presses on. Reminds me of the dreams Clark and Zod both had in Bendis' run. Both ended up pointing towards more than a few things in both Superman and Legion.

So, in the interest of some speculation based on what little we know and see, I'm gonna make a guess: the young black woman (who may be a half Kryptonian) that Jon is holding in his right arm on the cover for Action Comics will be set up as Jon's love interest within PKJ's first year. I'm thinking this because House of El features Jon's direct descendants (one of whom is the new Superman, and I think that's a clear hint towards Jon being the next Superman) the twin brother and sister, Rowan and Ronan Kent, as being black. Yes, clearly it's been 1000 years and having someone in a family line be a whole other race isn't much of a leap, but, as PKJ said, these are hints, so I'm taking them more along those lines.

Now to piss some people off....

In the sprit of the semi "New 52.0" vibe they're somewhat evoking with Jon, that young black possibly half Kryptonian may be the in-house "Wonder Woman" DC's been looking to transplant into the Super office since 2011. As before, follow me on this one: fish out of water, possibly temperamental, has likely killed before and is willing to do so again (seems to be from the fighting pits where Clark is now), and the crown jewel of it all, "we're not like them over there, or them over there. We're something in between" which closely echoes the roof top "we're not like the gods or the mortals" scene between New 52 Clark and Diana in JL.

And with Jon having what is likely the most first hand experience being a powered up half Kryptonian that's been trained by multiple full bloods, and if she's going to be sticking around Earth like it seems, he's in the position to help her adjust, and to do it with a level of intimate first-hand knowledge that was never had by any of his teachers. And once again, that echoes how New 52 Clark would teach Diana about man's world sometimes.

It's also possible that we're looking at our next Supergirl. With the show ending DC doesn't have to keep Kara as Supergirl to keep the brand up. They can flat out move her up to Superwoman. That would really set in stone that she's just as powerful as Clark (well as Clark was before he weakened), thus making her top dog. So that leaves the Supergirl IP up for grabs, and Jon being a Superman who trains a fresh-of-the-boat Supergirl who proves that he's not the only one of his kind is a nice remix on the classic take. But in this version they're not related, so they can--you know. Plus, she'd also conjure comparison to New 52 Kara along with Diana.

And to tie a pretty bow around the whole thing, THIS may be what Jon's been "searching" for. That's in reference to PKJ explaining that Jon is a character that's "unmoored" and "without and anchor" because he's (and go ahead and see if you can guess where I'm going with this) grown up in several different places and time periods, and now feels like he doesn't know where to call home. You know who else might feel like that? A literal intergalactic slave who has been traded across the galaxy her whole life. As PKJ pointed out, "to be a kid going through all of that". Plus, PKJ has brought up the whole surviving on Earth-3 after being tormented by an evil version of his dad. That's likely not hard to relate to surviving on War World and being tormented by Mongul. They could be the two people that really, actually get the particular brand of f%&ked up the others life has been.

*self high-five*

But screw all that Clark Diana ****, IT'S SORTA KINDA TOM STRONG Y'ALL, SO I'M HYPE!!!!
    Sir, you've always got my attention but that added dapper of Tom Strong at the end was masterful. I love that book and I'm glad to see it get any praise.

That said, I think you hit on some great points here but I do question if they'd give away the ghost so early with respect to Jon's love interest. A new Supergirl would be a great idea, and I kind of like the concept of her being mentored by Jon. Be her another child of Lois and Clark or someone from outside the family, it's a good call. My question is that if Rowan/Ronan really are a direct line from Jon, doesn't that strike as a bit peculiar that he had them so late in his life with someone we meet in the first issue? Clark is ye olde as hell in that book and Jon should reasonably be geriatric himself, but those kids are young and vital.

Unless somehow human DNA (which dies extremely fast) bonded with pure Kyrptonian DNA (which lives for a long time as established in this book) somehow extends even Kryptonian life (which doesn't sound like what'd happen based on what little I know), those kids need to be with a recent paramour if Jon's their father. So either he and the lady on the cover had kids in what's effectively their 60s (as we'd view them) or they're probably down the line on Jon's family tree; great grandchildren or the like. Remember, Kryptonians seemingly age to their prime as humans do but in this book it slows after that, but still 1000 years in we see that they'd be ancient.

I dunno, not enough to say now, but it seems like a stretch to think they're flat-out his children.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Dealing with your rebooted origin I’d guess lol.
    That's kind of where I was going with it, but more of a "so we deal with Crisises and retcons a lot, son. You're 16 now so it's time you learned how to drive the multiverse."

I've been reading some silver age stuff for inspiration on something I'm doing and it's been wild.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    That's cool. I'm sure you're not alone.

It's a lot of telling us the importance of a character without showing us any importance to the character. A lot of superhero titles fall into that though. I think a lot of people dig the affirmation, but it doesn't hold well as a story.
    Yeah, that's totally understandable. But knowing PKJ has control over both Superman books for the forseeable future, it's nice seeing he actually understands the character and why he is so beloved. I like that he is giving us these type of issues that showcase his human side, especially knowing his run will be mostly set in space and not dealing with the Clark side much.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, that's totally understandable. But knowing PKJ has control over both Superman books for the forseeable future, it's nice seeing he actually understands the character and why he is so beloved. I like that he is giving us these type of issues that showcase his human side, especially knowing his run will be mostly set in space and not dealing with the Clark side much.
    Absolutely, but I really do wish DC didn't title the book "WORLDS AT WAR" and showcase a John Carter Superman fighting in an arena on a distant planet if the story was going to be a celebration about him as a character and what he means to others. I like both those ideas, but if I go into The Fast and the Furious and get a period piece political thriller in Victorian England, I think it's fair to criticize everyone involved for the bait and switch even if the final product was rad. Obviously extol the virtues of the work, but also slam the practice of outright lying to customers.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Sir, you've always got my attention but that added dapper of Tom Strong at the end was masterful. I love that book and I'm glad to see it get any praise.
    Tom Strong f&%king rules!

That said, I think you hit on some great points here but I do question if they'd give away the ghost so early with respect to Jon's love interest.
    I disagree. One of the reasons they aged Jon up was specifically so they could tell a story like this (especially since he's about to be a CW heartthrob soon). You saw the big deal they made out of Jon and Saturn Girl's kiss in Legion.

But I imagine what you're getting at is that you think it's too early to "nail down" an "endgame love interest". But that's not actually what's being presented here even with the Super Twins from House of El. What you're overlooking is that House of El and all of Future State isn't a set in stone near future, but rather it's more of a giant teaser for the next few years of planned out story direction for the DC line. PKJ said it himself "even though all the Future State stories are speculative and shouldn't be considered "promises" about what will happen in future DC continuity, most if not all of them have connections to upcoming events."

So in that sense, they're using a possible future to tease out general story direction for the relative foreseeable future. But since Jon's not going to get married or anything, that basically leaves the door open for a new love interest.

And I've also come to realize that if this really is taking some inspiration from the New 52 Superman then it makes sense that they'd shack him up pretty fast. For a young bachelor, Clark spent like 90% of the New 52 dating Wonder Woman. The general idea just seems to be "what if a young and attractive Superman dated a young and attractive female hero of similar power" rather than "what if he could date around", so I think it tracks.

A new Supergirl would be a great idea,
    It dawned on my that Superwoman from the Crime Syndicate has now been remained Superia. Seems likely that's because they're looking to rename and market Kara as Superwoman. PKJ did say that across spectrum there's going to be a bigger push to make it clear that Kara is every bit Clark's physical equal (soon to be his physical superior judging by his powers going down), so once he leaves Earth she's Top Dog even with Jon going by Superman. That role shift will likely come with a name shift to make it official. And with that the Supergirl name and IP are left open. I think we're about to see something close to a Ms Marvel and Captain Marvel situation with the new black woman as the Ms Marvel in question. And with that, I'm thinking we might see this young lady come with some extra powers of her own that maybe come from her non Kryptonian side (the idea is teased in House of El). And we may finally see Jon show some more overt differences in power. PKJ said in an interview that Jon "almost has the same powers as his dad" before commenting on his potential to be more powerful.

Kryptonian hybrids may end up being DC's version of inhumans or mutants by having them all come from different races. Jon's "hybrid power" may be a power multiplier or something, and that's why he has it in him to be more powerful than Clark. But the same may not be true for say a Kryptonian mixed with a Dominator.

My question is that if Rowan/Ronan really are a direct line from Jon, doesn't that strike as a bit peculiar that he had them so late in his life with someone we meet in the first issue? Clark is ye olde as hell in that book and Jon should reasonably be geriatric himself, but those kids are young and vital.
    Rowan and Ronan aren't Jon's kids or even grandkids. I never actually said they were. They're his descendants. Jon probably had kids at a fairly normal age.

Why I brought them up and they're mix race heritage is because if House of El is said by PKJ to be "practically NOTHING BUT Easter eggs, both for other Future State titles and for literally everything I have planned for the upcoming year and beyond." then it stands to reason that the twins mixed race in Jon's line may be a small hint. But the smart thing about it is that even if it does point to the young lady on the cover, the twins are still far enough removed that you can add in just enough uncertainty to Jon and the young lady's future while still leaving the door open.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Tom Strong f&%king rules!

I disagree. One of the reasons they aged Jon up was specifically so they could tell a story like this (especially since he's about to be a CW heartthrob soon). You saw the big deal they made out of Jon and Saturn Girl's kiss in Legion.

But I imagine what you're getting at is that you think it's too early to "nail down" an "endgame love interest". But that's not actually what's being presented here even with the Super Twins from House of El. What you're overlooking is that House of El and all of Future State isn't a set in stone near future, but rather it's more of a giant teaser for the next few years of planned out story direction for the DC line. PKJ said it himself "even though all the Future State stories are speculative and shouldn't be considered "promises" about what will happen in future DC continuity, most if not all of them have connections to upcoming events."

So in that sense, they're using a possible future to tease out general story direction for the relative foreseeable future. But since Jon's not going to get married or anything, that basically leaves the door open for a new love interest.

And I've also come to realize that if this really is taking some inspiration from the New 52 Superman then it makes sense that they'd shack him up pretty fast. For a young bachelor, Clark spent like 90% of the New 52 dating Wonder Woman. The general idea just seems to be "what if a young and attractive Superman dated a young and attractive female hero of similar power" rather than "what if he could date around", so I think it tracks.

It dawned on my that Superwoman from the Crime Syndicate has now been remained Superia. Seems likely that's because they're looking to rename and market Kara as Superwoman. PKJ did say that across spectrum there's going to be a bigger push to make it clear that Kara is every bit Clark's physical equal (soon to be his physical superior judging by his powers going down), so once he leaves Earth she's Top Dog even with Jon going by Superman. That role shift will likely come with a name shift to make it official. And with that the Supergirl name and IP are left open. I think we're about to see something close to a Ms Marvel and Captain Marvel situation with the new black woman as the Ms Marvel in question. And with that, I'm thinking we might see this young lady come with some extra powers of her own that maybe come from her non Kryptonian side (the idea is teased in House of El). And we may finally see Jon show some more overt differences in power. PKJ said in an interview that Jon "almost has the same powers as his dad" before commenting on his potential to be more powerful.

Kryptonian hybrids may end up being DC's version of inhumans or mutants by having them all come from different races. Jon's "hybrid power" may be a power multiplier or something, and that's why he has it in him to be more powerful than Clark. But the same may not be true for say a Kryptonian mixed with a Dominator.

Rowan and Ronan aren't Jon's kids or even grandkids. I never actually said they were. They're his descendants. Jon probably had kids at a fairly normal age.

Why I brought them up and they're mix race heritage is because if House of El is said by PKJ to be "practically NOTHING BUT Easter eggs, both for other Future State titles and for literally everything I have planned for the upcoming year and beyond." then it stands to reason that the twins mixed race in Jon's line may be a small hint. But the smart thing about it is that even if it does point to the young lady on the cover, the twins are still far enough removed that you can add in just enough uncertainty to Jon and the young lady's future while still leaving the door open.
    Tom Strong is on my short list of Moore's most enjoyable works so I share your emphatic endorsement of it.

I was more or less arguing that, yes, it's too soon for us to be speculating Jon's endgame love interest and that Rowan/Ronan's appearance can only really be indicative of his present direction if the line is more direct. There's too much time in between for their appearance to conclusively inform anything of Jon's story from what little we've gleaned. It says more about his legacy than his direct future. I just don't know how much of his romantic history it indicates, but that obviously remains to be seen. You are entirely right that they're building Jon (and his whirlwind romance of Imra) as a big deal because that's evident from how they handle him, however.

What we do know is that Jon gravitates to blond telepaths (or those who pass as them) in Imra (and Kathy if you ask some) and that typically the women he seems to respond to (if we're counting Kathy and Yara as hinted, though the latter was more fans than DC who has only portrayed them as friends) are more active than passive with respect to their implementation in stories. All three of them are traditionally good. That's more or less it.

Using the one-shot as something of a mission statement is a bold idea and certainly will be interesting, but right now we have so little to go on. You may very well be entirely correct, naturally, and I'm always impressed with your extrapolations on the direction of the stories. Sometimes I think you should be an editor for the books with how often you appear to be a wellspring of creativity and how clearly you can communicate it without ever coming off as condescending. Put together a resume, dude.
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-13-2021 at 03:01 PM.

I'd like to see Ronan Kent (The Future State: House of El Superman) come to main continuity as Jon's Superboy in a sort of Impulse-type way. Jon having to train his descendant while already being a new Superman himself sounds interesting.

I was more or less arguing that, yes, it's too soon for us to be speculating Jon's endgame love interest and that Rowan/Ronan's appearance can only really be indicative of his present direction if the line is more direct. There's too much time in between for their appearance to conclusively inform anything of Jon's story from what little we've gleaned. It says more about his legacy than his direct future. I just don't know how much of his romantic history it indicates, but that obviously remains to be seen.
    I'm just gonna say that while it might imply "endgame" in the context of this run via a possible future, so long as he's not married to her in a year, it doesn't actually matter. The next run could see him single or with someone else. But I think it only makes sense to take into PKJ's vision for the character in this era because that's what matters and he's writing both House of El and the two Superman books. So if using a possible future is his way of teasing a relationship within the confines of his run then that's the long and short of it as I see it. It's his thesis statement, and like we learn early in school, any good thesis/opener lays out all of the ideas in it you will go into greater detail about in the body. So in stead of looking at it like, "an this is Jon's forever girl" it's more so like "and this is a tease that I plan on hooking Jon up with a girl of this skin tone in my run, so be on the look out to line that up with this."

What we do know is that Jon gravitates to blond telepaths (or those who pass as them) in Imra (and Kathy if you ask some)
    I think it's a stretch to say he gravitates towards them specifically. What I think is more accurate (and less of an oddly specific fetish) is that Jon goes for girls with powers because he likes the idea of dating the personification of The Other. While his dad wants to sort of look past the otherness. Neither is wrong, but it's an aspect that's clear about the two. Jon's even more the singular representative of his kind than his father, and from that he's gravitated towards forming bonds with similarly extraordinary people as his main support system. It's like Mark Grayson or New 52 Superman in some respects.

Yara as hinted,
    I caught not even the faintest of hints towards Yara. I honestly think they're just straight up best friends (maybe moving Jon's best friend to someone closer to his age) and I'm even thinking they may be bold enough to make her gay.

Using the one-shot as something of a mission statement is a bold idea and certainly will be interesting, but right now we have so little to go on. You may very well be entirely correct, naturally, and I'm always impressed with your extrapolations on the direction of the stories. Sometimes I think you should be an editor for the books with how often you appear to be a wellspring of creativity and how clearly you can communicate it without ever coming off as condescending. Put together a resume, dude.
    You're genuinely too kind dude. But speak for yourself! You're easily one of the most thoughtful and well spoken posters on here. That Multiverse driving lesson was gold btw
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I'm just gonna say that while it might imply "endgame" in the context of this run via a possible future, so long as he's not married to her in a year, it doesn't actually matter. The next run could see him single or with someone else. But I think it only makes sense to take into PKJ's vision for the character in this era because that's what matters and he's writing both House of El and the two Superman books. So if using a possible future is his way of teasing a relationship within the confines of his run then that's the long and short of it as I see it. It's his thesis statement, and like we learn early in school, any good thesis/opener lays out all of the ideas in it you will go into greater detail about in the body. So in stead of looking at it like, "an this is Jon's forever girl" it's more so like "and this is a tease that I plan on hooking Jon up with a girl of this skin tone in my run, so be on the look out to line that up with this."

I think it's a stretch to say he gravitates towards them specifically. What I think is more accurate (and less of an oddly specific fetish) is that Jon goes for girls with powers because he likes the idea of dating the personification of The Other. While his dad wants to sort of look past the otherness. Neither is wrong, but it's an aspect that's clear about the two. Jon's even more the singular representative of his kind than his father, and from that he's gravitated towards forming bonds with similarly extraordinary people as his main support system. It's like Mark Grayson or New 52 Superman in some respects.
    Put the resume in, my dude.

I caught not even the faintest of hints towards Yara. I honestly think they're just straight up best friends (maybe moving Jon's best friend to someone closer to his age) and I'm even thinking they may be bold enough to make her gay.
    You're right. The finished product is just friends, and I thought that was the plan for her too. The ship tease was inferred on the fan's parts because of the usual need for DC to try and push Clark and Diana as a couple and the last time there was a SM/WW book. It was speculation gone wild.

You're genuinely too kind dude. But speak for yourself! You're easily one of the most thoughtful and well spoken posters on here. That Multiverse driving lesson was gold btw
    That means a lot, sir. Thank you, but I think you've been a positive voice on these boards far longer and more consistently than I have and you're in the short list for getting lots of big egos to work together while contributing a positive vision for the Superman books going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    I'd like to see Ronan Kent (The Future State: House of El Superman) come to main continuity as Jon's Superboy in a sort of Impulse-type way. Jon having to train his descendant while already being a new Superman himself sounds interesting.
    That's gotta happen with one of those characters in houe of el at some point right?! So much wasted potential if we don't see any of those characters in the future.

Put the resume in, my dude.
    Hahahaha thank you again!

You're right. The finished product is just friends, and I thought that was the plan for her too. The ship tease was inferred on the fan's parts because of the usual need for DC to try and push Clark and Diana as a couple and the last time there was a SM/WW book. It was speculation gone wild.
    Yeah, I'm thinking DC's more or less done with main trinity ships in main continuity. Especially now that the idea of these characters getting adapted for film or TV is more real than its ever been. Much more trouble than just creating an/using an "in house" love interest that they don't have to keep track of a whole other 3rd of the Trinity to even use. Yara just feels legitimately like Jon's bud. She tells it to him like he needs to hear it, and she's not afraid of challenging him to get out of his comfort zone. And she clearly cares deeply for him and has his back even when they don't agree on big issues. I genuinely hope they keep it a friendship because it really sucks that there aren't more male and female friendships without sexual tension injected into them.

That means a lot, sir. Thank you, but I think you've been a positive voice on these boards far longer and more consistently than I have and you're in the short list for getting lots of big egos to work together while contributing a positive vision for the Superman books going forward.
    Well now we're just headed on the track to compliment one-upmanship lol As always I appreciate you dude.

Hahahaha thank you again!

Yeah, I'm thinking DC's more or less done with main trinity ships in main continuity. Especially now that the idea of these characters getting adapted for film or TV is more real than its ever been. Much more trouble than just creating an/using an "in house" love interest that they don't have to keep track of a whole other 3rd of the Trinity to even use. Yara just feels legitimately like Jon's bud. She tells it to him like he needs to hear it, and she's not afraid of challenging him to get out of his comfort zone. And she clearly cares deeply for him and has his back even when they don't agree on big issues. I genuinely hope they keep it a friendship because it really sucks that there aren't more male and female friendships without sexual tension injected into them.

Well now we're just headed on the track to compliment one-upmanship lol As always I appreciate you dude.
    If Yara and Jon are the two who put Trinity shipping to death I'm going to 3D print a golden idol of them and fist bump it every time I'm leaving home.

I agree, we need more non sexualized friendships between men and women at DC.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

From Daniel Sampere's twitter:

A Lois spotting! Love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    From Daniel Sampere's twitter:

Lois is actually appearing! Yes .