Page 82 of 375 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384858692132182 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 5625

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You and I must have reading different books then.Superman is drenched in the father figure .Donner's superman has that in spade .Heck!Donner might have even started it.At best he comes of like class monitor, sometimes.
    Okay. I'll trust in my interpretation of what I've experienced with the character for nearly 40 years, and you can do you as well. I never viewed him as a father figure, still don't, and I stand by that.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 03-04-2021 at 10:31 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Okay. I'll trust in my interpretation of what I've experienced with the character for nearly 40 years, and you can do you as well. I never viewed him as a father figure, still don't, and I stand by that.
    As you wish.This didn't start yesterday.It started in 50s and 60s when superman started being a corporate entity more and more.

This is what you call a father figure.Allstar superman is a father worried about his kids after he's gone.There are other versions like american alien.which isn't,ofcourse.morrison's action had less of it as well.There is a good father and then there is paternalism.The above is paternalism.Allstar and the like are just him being a dad.
    edit-

This is a father trying to stop his children from puttin their hands in flame.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 03-04-2021 at 11:21 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    While you personally may not feel that way, it's hard not to see Superman as partly a father figure in approach. Clark's more traditional incarnation is essentially a leader/father figure who attempts to be his best self every day and lead by example by being the ultimate role model. While you can lean more toward viewing him as a good Samaritan/leader figure, there's a good reason most leaders who are concerned with those around them are referred to as "fathers to their men." Clark's got serious dad energy most of the time. That's not a bad thing.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The original superman wasn't trying to be a father figure.He wasn't example to mankind.He's just made fun of it and himself.Superman used to be luffy.Superman basically is whitebeard at best now.Less fun version of Garp when he swings the other way.And sakazuki when he is evil dictator like injustice and red son,pardon my one piece brain.I just read it.Regardless of what,superman is an old man.Most of all,He's a hugger.

"People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But I'd say you could think up just as many reasons as to why he'd be more powerful.

Like maybe the mix of Kryptonian and human is just a particularly good one and that's why it's so hard to get? Genetics don't actually work like 1+1=2, you know? It's more like 1+1=maybe 20 or maybe -7. It's far more relevant what traits are dominant vs recessive. Like Viltramites in Invincible have such overpowering genetics that Mark Grayson is basically a full blood. If 1+1=2 then that wouldn't make sense. And that's not even getting into how gens mixing remain unique in every situation.

But in my opinion, it doesn't really matter why (he could just be a really lucky kid?). What matters is how PKJ seems to be framing it alongside Jon's personality and Clark's position as a father and protector. Jon's still just around 18, and he's just loving the idea of having fun and helping people when he can. But if you add on the weight and expectation that comes with not only being the next Superman, but also the weight following after Clark Kent of all people (especially when PKJ's version is something more akin to Morrison or Waid's more aspirational takes). Jon's still just trying to figure himself out. But similar to his dad, the sheer level of power that he has means he's going to be called upon to be The Guy regardless of if he likes it or not.

And on top of that it's something that messes with Clark because, as we heard, there's still going to be times when he sees Jon as just his little boy, but he's clearly not that anymore, and his growing status and power are going to make it so Clark can't really shield him or take on the weight for him anymore.

I think it's a fascinating way to explore the idea of the powerful offspring idea. Where the power to do things that others around you just simply can't do puts a weight on you that you've maybe been dreading for years now. It's a nice change up from the off spring just being more powerful and that just being the idea for the sake of the idea. This is about growing up being hard and having to watch a person grow up being hard. I dig that a lot.

And it's not something that actually works unless he's more powerful, because otherwise how could you justify giving him the title outside of nepotism or some pretty serious irresponsibly? In this case it's just the idea that he's too powerful not to be The Guy.
    Couldn't agree more.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm getting a little more excited for this, may have to get them as they come out instead of sale waiting thanks to the TV show reminding me I missed my old friend. Do books actually come out on Tuesday now? Or is that a typo?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I'm getting a little more excited for this, may have to get them as they come out instead of sale waiting thanks to the TV show reminding me I missed my old friend. Do books actually come out on Tuesday now? Or is that a typo?
    DC’s come out on Tuesday, Marvel still comes out on Weds.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Must be odd for comic shops.

Breaker of Worlds Immortal Hulk's Avatar

First Look: Superman's New Creative Team Makes Their Debut

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/0...es-their-debut

Incredible Member

Interesting choice to have regular people be the ones to neutralize the threat at the end of the fight (seemingly without either Clark or Jon expecting it). And having Clark acknowledging that and thanking the crew while Jon is apparently lost in his thoughts.

Other than that, yep, that's the coming of age story for Jon that PKJ has been talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Must be odd for comic shops.
    I think mine just puts them all out on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Hulk View Post
    First Look: Superman's New Creative Team Makes Their Debut

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2021/0...es-their-debut
    Hmm, usually I dig more "cartoony" but can't say this art is doing much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Hester is hit or miss on some characters. His Green Arrow was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Feels very DCAU-esque design-wise which I don’t mind. The writing may not have been to my liking all the time but the design work was always pretty solid.