Page 87 of 376 FirstFirst ... 377783848586878889909197137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 5626
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    You certainly paint an interesting picture. The way you frame it certainly sounds better than what my darkest nightmares about the whole situation have been. I'll continue to keep my eyes open and see how this develops. There's nothing I'd like more than to find something that I can enjoy here.
    Look... As I said before, it's too early to tell and it's not the best situation ever. I guess that something in this run may be editorially mandated, there are no A-list artists involved and it is even possible, or likely, that everything will be forgotten after the end of the run.
    But I seriously think that PKJ may have hit the target in terms of setup. In a way, even if he actually made Jon more powerful than his father it wouldn't be a huge problem, because PKJ's Clark is undeniably the more authoritative and respected of the two Supermen. In a way, Jon is to PKJ's Superman what Superman has been to Batman in a lot of recent comic books and movies. I mean, in the Snyder Cut Batman is less physically powerful than Superman, but he's actually the dominant character, right? Well, it's the same situation here.
    I guess that the right move was getting rid of all the Brady Bunch rubbish, the fake lovable atmosphere, and replace it with something a bit more serious and solemn. He didn't turn Superman into Batman - quite the contrary, he created an interesting variation of the Superman family without necessarily copying the exact same situation of the Batman family. There isn't a specific equivalent of Nightwing or Robin, but rather, well, a clan.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Look... As I said before, it's too early to tell and it's not the best situation ever. I guess that something in this run may be editorially mandated, there are no A-list artists involved and it is even possible, or likely, that everything will be forgotten after the end of the run.
    But I seriously think that PKJ may have hit the target in terms of setup. In a way, even if he actually made Jon more powerful than his father it wouldn't be a huge problem, because PKJ's Clark is undeniably the more authoritative and respected of the two Supermen. In a way, Jon is to PKJ's Superman what Superman has been to Batman in a lot of recent comic books and movies. I mean, in the Snyder Cut Batman is less physically powerful than Superman, but he's actually the dominant character, right? Well, it's the same situation here.
    I guess that the right move was getting rid of all the Brady Bunch rubbish, the fake lovable atmosphere, and replace it with something a bit more serious and solemn
    . He didn't turn Superman into Batman - quite the contrary, he created an interesting variation of the Superman family without necessarily copying the exact same situation of the Batman family. There isn't a specific equivalent of Nightwing or Robin, but rather, well, a clan.
    That was really only the Tomasi/Gleason run. I wouldn't say it was that much reflected in Jurgens' Action aside from a few youthful moments with Jon, and Bendis' wasn't like that even at its most lighthearted.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That was really only the Tomasi/Gleason run. I wouldn't say it was that much reflected in Jurgens' Action aside from a few youthful moments with Jon, and Bendis' wasn't like that even at its most lighthearted.
    Personally speaking, Jurgens' Lois and Clark may be one of the indigestible comic books I have ever read. His run may not have been as Little Lord Fauntleroy-ish as Tomasi's, but boy did it have problems.
    Bendis was full potential but never really delivered, but I think that PKJ may do something enjoyable starting from Bendis' setup.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

I guess that the right move was getting rid of all the Brady Bunch rubbish, the fake lovable atmospher
    Or, basically, all the things that made me give Superman books another chance (even going back and reading some of his Pre-Flashpoint books) after ignoring the character for years XD

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Or, basically, all the things that made me give Superman books another chance (even going back and reading some of his Pre-Flashpoint books) after ignoring the character for years XD
    To each his own, I guess. Jon has been the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
    Well, not broke. I'd say ripped apart, destroyed, pulverized, Snyderized the friggin' camel's back.

Personally speaking, Jurgens' Lois and Clark may be one of the indigestible comic books I have ever read. His run may not have been as Little Lord Fauntleroy-ish as Tomasi's, but boy did it have problems.
    Bendis was full potential but never really delivered, but I think that PKJ may do something enjoyable starting from Bendis' setup.
    I mean, I wouldn't say it was the most exciting comics but it read as solid Superman stuff to me.

Bendis just ended up having the same issues he usually has on books. Good idea man, not necessarily clinching the execution or pacing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think it's the implication that he basically "spread his seed" throughout the universe making all these different families doesn't sit well with me. It basically becomes Invincible where it was the mission statement of the Viltrumites to just go planet to planet and have kids with the locals to see which ones made the best breeding stock to repopulate. It's kinda unnecessary in my opinion. In 3000 years you can still have thousands of descendants without the need to have had 50 wives.
    Right.

The biblical tone is not actually a compliment. The idea in the Bible that men would have tons of wives and kids and then have a favorite wife is gross and misogynist. That’s the kind of crap that happens in cultures where women aren’t people-they are property.

Jon is I guess the Joseph in this scenario. “Joseph’s mother she was quite my favorite wife, I never really loved another all my life.”

Still gross. It’s hyper masculine and patriarchal. But whatever. I’m sure it’s super appealing and cool to people on here who love seeing Lois marginalized and would love to see Jon divided from his mother’s legacy forever. So that’s not a shock. Nothing about the way some people here react to the way some of these writers treat her is a shock.

Some of us are still going to show up to point out how gross it is though bc someone has to.
    Last edited by Nelliebly; 03-19-2021 at 03:07 PM.

Astonishing Member

I mean, I wouldn't say it was the most exciting comics but it read as solid Superman stuff to me.

Bendis just ended up having the same issues he usually has on books. Good idea man, not necessarily clinching the execution or pacing.
    Never mind. That run has come to an end and I think that from its seeds we may see something interesting born. I mean, maybe itis already happening. Even if I would have really liked to know more about Bendis' Phantom Zone prisoners. The designs were great.

Jurgens Lois & Clark was his strongest 21st century Superman work. I thought it was pretty solid myself.
    Never mind. That run has come to an end and I think that from its seeds we may see something interesting born. I mean, maybe itis already happening. Even if I would have really liked to know more about Bendis' Phantom Zone prisoners. The designs were great.
    Wonder if they’ll show up in Bendis JL? He said that a bunch of stuff in the back half of his Superman run was laying the ground for his JL plans. I’d like to know if PKJ has any plans for the Phantom Zone. If he’s turning Superman into Space Conan, Xa-Du would be a great foe for him. He’s already a space necromancer, great fit for Clark’s space Barbarian new direction.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

To each his own, I guess. Jon has been the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
    Well, not broke. I'd say ripped apart, destroyed, pulverized, Snyderized the friggin' camel's back.
    The sentimental fool in me loves when my action/fantasy series have elements of family drama/coming of age stuff in them. It's my main draw to stuff like the Batfamily, Teen Titans, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Runaways, Animorphs, Harry Potter, Incredibles, etc. Or, as a more mundane example, it's why The Outsiders is one of my favorite books. Hell, it's part of the reason why I loved House of El so much.

It's why I reeeeeeally appreciate what Johnson is trying to do, even if I, personally, don't want any part of it. I do feel kinda bad though. It's not his fault that Jon's character is just kinda...tainted for me now. Especially since he's made it clear he couldn't fix things even if he wanted to. After listening to his interviews and talking to him on twitter, you won't hear me badmouth him the way I have Bendis or Didio.

But it is what it is. The family dynamic he's going for is better than any thing Bendis came up with but it's still not my cup of tea. And the coming of age story that Jon's arc has become is everything but what I was hoping his character would be back when I first got attached to him. It's upsetting but I'm less upset about it now since DC is finally putting out better books for the characters that I love just as much as Jon. So I got Nightwing, Robin, Teen Titans, Flash, and Wonder Girl to fill the void. And who knows? Maybe the stuff that's just centered around Clark will be pretty good. After all, it wasn't just Jon that drew me back into Superman books.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    The sentimental fool in me loves when my action/fantasy series have elements of family drama/coming of age stuff in them. It's my main draw to stuff like the Batfamily, Teen Titans, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Runaways, Animorphs, Harry Potter, Incredibles, etc. Or, as a more mundane example, it's why The Outsiders is one of my favorite books. Hell, it's part of the reason why I loved House of El so much.
    Oh, but just to be clear: I love stuff such as Fantastic Four, Incredibles or Runaways. The problem is Jon. He is the one whom I would have liked to see stabbed to death with one million kryptonite scalpels. If SuperDad and LoisMom from Jurgens' and Tomasi's era had suffered the same fate I wouldn't have minded either. But the problem has always been Jon.

Sometimes I wonder if I’m too harsh on the Rebirth stuff. After all it got me back into monthly comics after the back half of the New 52 drove me off. But then I read some of the people here who really hate Rebirth and I realize I’m one of the moderate ones lmao. I’m inbetween those who consider it the greatest modern Superman run and those who consider it absolute garbage that ruined Superman for a good while. I think it’s uneven, good in some arcs, terrible in others. Still considering if I want to get the Tomasi Omnibus.

One thing I’m uncertain about is the new alien race PKJ is introducing. Are they the xenonorph knockoffs on the June Superman cover? I don’t think so since he’s mentioned creating alien languages and what not, and I don’t think mere brutes would make use of one of those.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if I’m too harsh on the Rebirth stuff. After all it got me back into monthly comics after the back half of the New 52 drove me off. But then I read some of the people here who really hate Rebirth and I realize I’m one of the moderate ones lmao. I’m inbetween those who consider it the greatest modern Superman run and those who consider it absolute garbage that ruined Superman for a good while. I think it’s uneven, good in some arcs, terrible in others. Still considering if I want to get the Tomasi Omnibus.

One thing I’m uncertain about is the new alien race PKJ is introducing. Are they the xenonorph knockoffs on the June Superman cover? I don’t think so since he’s mentioned creating alien languages and what not, and I don’t think mere brutes would make use of one of those.
    I liked Rebirth a lot, but the quality is spotty at best. Each era of Superman has stuff to like. Enjoy what you do, bud. I found most of New 52 pretty awful save Morrison's run, and even then I don't worship it as much as others do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I liked Rebirth a lot, but the quality is spotty at best. Each era of Superman has stuff to like. Enjoy what you do, bud. I found most of New 52 pretty awful save Morrison's run, and even then I don't worship it as much as others do.
    Sure, sure, I agree. I actually think that Morrison's Action Comics run is not on par with his other works too.
    Now that I think about it, I actually like one thing from Tomasi's era besides Gleason's art - the villains. Well, some of them, like the Eradicator. Maybe I rooted for them and hoped that they slaughtered the entire SuperBrady Bunch sooner or later, and then danced on their graves.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I mean outside of Morrison and Pak so did I . Perez sucked, Lobdell sucked (outside of that very start where Clark quits the DP in disgust), Yang sucked (outside of the god wrestling that was cool), didn’t dig SM/WW, Snyder’s Superman Unchained is just ok, he isn’t great in Johns JL, the brief Johns New 52 run was good but Romita on art was a pain, and Pak got derailed by crossovers. Ultimately overall that era was more misses than hits. But when it was good I loved it the way I loved the Johns/Busiek Pre-Flashpoint Superman era.

Now Bendis is the one where I’ll go to bat for the entire era lol.
    Sure, sure, I agree. I actually think that Morrison's Action Comics run is not on par with his other works too.
    Now that I think about it, I actually like one thing from Tomasi's era besides Gleason's art - the villains. Well, some of them, like the Eradicator. Maybe I rooted for them and hoped that they slaughtered the entire SuperBrady Bunch sooner or later, and then danced on their graves.
    Lmao. Guess we found Manchester Black’s Alt . When Gleason was actually on art he could draw the hell out of them. Eradicator has never looked as cool as he did under Gleason, Jimenez, and Mahkne. Still bitter we only got a headshot of Parasite from Gleason, his Parasite design looked perfect, exactly what I’ve always wanted Parasite to look like. If I could afford a commission that’s who I would ask Gleason to draw.