Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enish View Post
    Greek gods, just like most pagan gods have a huge connection to elements.

As a daughter of Zeus, I would give her some elemental based abilities like some control over lightning, but not really in an active way. Maybe it would just depend on her emotional state. Maybe it would boost her base abilities, strength and speed wise.

And about her flight, Superman seems to be able to create some magnetic field around him so, for Diana, it would be more in an elemental way and it would connect her to her original ability of gliding on winds.
    Diana would somehow be able to control the air around her and it would allow her to fly.
    She would primarily jump around as she is used to but she would still be able to fly if need be, and to hover,
    there would be lots of wind around her so it would be visually nice to see her land in a dramatic way.

And when she really wants to fly, maybe she’d start sprinting first and upon reaching a certain speed, she’d have the necessary amount of wind to fly, just like a plane.
    And she would eventually master her skill to fly effortlessly when it’s necessary.

As for her speed, she would have a nice base stat, thanks to her physical superior condition, but maybe her affinity with electricity and wind could allow her bursts of speed that can rival that of the Flash’s cruise speed.
    It would put her in the Flash’s league speedwise, but he would still be the top dog since her supercharged mode is temporary.

I could think of many other things, but there are ways to make heroes Uber-powerful and still have interesting story lines.

That way, Wonder Woman would still be Wonder Woman, capable of the greatest feats while still being limited in some ways for the writers to write interesting and compelling stories.
    I don't agrere with the notion that writers can only write intersting and compeling stories by limiting the characters power levels. A competent writer shouldn't need to do that.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I dont think she needs any added abilities when she doesnt really have any weaknesses in general (except writing).

Super strength, speed, reflexes, flight, endurance are good enough for me. Add in the eyes of Athena down the road and that's a perfect add on imo.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Absolutely nothing. He's just a dude that doesn't like it and it's fine.

I myself happen to love the metaphysical aspects of the Marston era. His stories were all about the superior ideology and spirit conquering the world of men, and he introduced this huge lore full of distinct and creative concepts and characters and worlds that kept meshing together in fun ways. All these ideas were centered around that theme of mental virtues having a physical power over reality. Diana was herself a result of this. Hippolyta wanted a pure amazonian birth and thus a mixture of technology and the power of desire gave life unto that clay figure that represented everything Hippolyta admired.

Astral projection is just an extension of this theme of mind becoming physical power.
    Ok. I think it's a cool idea. I always felt like regular her power set was too "Superman-lite", and didn't really draw from any extra "godly" abilities. Her having "mind over body" abilities, as she's shown on and off over the years, would help her to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I don't agrere with the notion that writers can only write intersting and compeling stories by limiting the characters power levels. A competent writer shouldn't need to do that.
    Yeah, the stories need not always end in "who punches the hardest." Mystical powers can offer different ways of ending conflicts.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    You know, I would not only apply this to Diana, but to all the other heroes as well.

A being who is capable of everything without limitations is boring.

Superman is boring as he is. They make him as fast and even faster than the Flash and he should not be.
    They make him the strongest. They make him the most durable.
    He is a league on his own and it makes the concept of a league obsolete, because why have other Super-heroes if Superman bests them even in their own category?
    And that seems to be okay for everyone.

Meanwhile, Diana was created to be his exact equal in terms of power scale, but that seems to bother a lot of people.

My solution would be to apply limitations of some sort to ALL of them, while still being able to rival one another in particular situations.
    I like the idea of having to use one's abilities in a judicious way. It's challenging for the character and makes them relatable for us simple mortals.

Now, in regards to the topic, Diana's abilities having connections to elemental energies to explain her powers would make her unique in the way she uses them.
    She would still be able to fly, but in a different manner than other flying bricks. She would still be very fast but not in the same way as pure speedsters, yet she can still match their speed in given situations.
    As for her strength, well the only limitations I see is the durability of said object. No one should be able to carry a whole building because the physics simply woud not allow it, the building would start to crumble as the structure would weaken under its own weight.

That's where we could explain how and why Superman would make a difference.

If manipulating the magnetic field around him allows him to fly, we could think of a way for him to emit some sort of magnetic field that would hold together a whole building while he carries it.
    That way we can reconcile physical feats of strength with some basic physics.
    That would not mean Wonder Woman is not able to carry said building, but maybe she'd find another way, maybe with the lasso, by tying up key places of the building's structure to hold it together while carrying it.

I know it seems a bit complicated, but it would make so much sense.

Then, I was thinking about something else, as a demi-god, maybe Diana would be able to amp herself up with the prayers of people.
    There has to be people out there who worship Diana, one way or another. She could for example tap into that mystical energy to do that, to access her god-mode, but it's something she would not do often because maybe she would not feel worthy or any other reasons.
    Maybe it's just really hard to channel all that pure divine energy when you are just a demi-god.
    Or maybe she would have to give something back to her followers after tapping into that energy, a law of give and take.
    And the more she does it, the closer she gets to full godhood and she eventually would have to leave the mortal plane.

I don't know, there are just so many ways to make her powerset unique.
    Last edited by enish; 05-03-2021 at 01:43 AM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    turn stuff invisible

is that something we are ever going to see again? Probably not.
    Just treat that power as if it was in an elseworlds story. I know I have!

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Just treat that power as if it was in an elseworlds story. I know I have!
    Even though I kinda like the idea, I found that they shoehorned this in a really poor manner.

It makes Diana silly, IMO, because she would have spent 60+ years outside of Themyscira without bothering to master her abilities?
    Like she would make a cup of coffee invisible, lose it and then just gave up?

It's something that annoyed me in the movie, I was like "how many movies is it gonna take for Diana to reach her full potential?"

Even then, she was advertised as being at the height of her powers, yet there was nothing to back that up, she only fought regular guys at the beginning, then lost her powers for 2/3 of the movie and when she finally got them back, she did not do much with them. I also hated how she gets a power up only thanksto/because of Steve.
    Like, can't she find things all by herself?

She did not care that much to see Antiope die, because it did not trigger anything in her apparently.

There was no real follow of her having new powers so they did not really make that huge of an impact.
    Last edited by enish; 05-03-2021 at 11:42 PM.

Ultimate Member

Maybe part of the problem was making it a prequel

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by enish View Post
    Even though I kinda like the idea, I found that they shoehorned this in a really poor manner.

It makes Diana silly, IMO, because she would have spent 60+ years outside of Themyscira without bothering to master her abilities?
    Like she would make a cup of coffee invisible, lose it and then just gave up?

It's something that annoyed me in the movie, I was like "how many movies is it gonna take for Diana to reach her full potential?"

Even then, she was advertised as being at the height of her powers, yet there was nothing to back that up, she only fought regular guys at the beginning, then lost her powers for 2/3 of the movie and when she finally got them back, she did not do much with them. I also hated how she gets a power up only thanksto/because of Steve.
    Like, can't she find things all by herself?

She did not care that much to see Antiope die, because it did not trigger anything in her apparently.

There was no real follow of her having new powers so they did not really make that huge of an impact.
    Same thing I said. How was she at the height of her powers there were no speed nor strength feats she's still lifting the same size military vehicles like the first movie. She never flew ran faster than light. Patty failed horribly I can tell she doesn't know ww comics & her peak speed strength. Very scared for wonder woman 3. yikes...

Patty's knowledge of Wonder Woman seems to come from the Carter show and the thing with shows like that is that feats were restricted by budget. Even then I still remember Linda's Wonder Woman having pretty impressive super speed sometimes.

But with most writers who get to write WW in media, they don't really seem aware of her powers from the get go. It's like they just read the most recent issues and go from there. This is also what I attribute the inconsistencies of side characters as well as them being dropped almost arc to arc with each new writer creating new characters or rehashing others.

One thing that has really bummed me with DCEU WW is how Phillipus was treated. Even ignoring that, the Amazons in general getting completely cut off from Diana for a century just doesn't sit right with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Same thing I said. How was she at the height of her powers there were no speed nor strength feats she's still lifting the same size military vehicles like the first movie. She never flew ran faster than light. Patty failed horribly I can tell she doesn't know ww comics & her peak speed strength. Very scared for wonder woman 3. yikes...
    This thread isn't for power level complaints. We have a thread for that already. You are free to do as you wish, but it would be nice to follow the system since we already had a bad experience with every thread becoming a discussion of that same topic that most of us weren't that interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    Patty's knowledge of Wonder Woman seems to come from the Carter show and the thing with shows like that is that feats were restricted by budget. Even then I still remember Linda's Wonder Woman having pretty impressive super speed sometimes.

But with most writers who get to write WW in media, they don't really seem aware of her powers from the get go. It's like they just read the most recent issues and go from there. This is also what I attribute the inconsistencies of side characters as well as them being dropped almost arc to arc with each new writer creating new characters or rehashing others.

One thing that has really bummed me with DCEU WW is how Phillipus was treated. Even ignoring that, the Amazons in general getting completely cut off from Diana for a century just doesn't sit right with me.
    I've never watched more than an episode of Lynda Carter's show, but your theory doesn't make sense. Did Wonder Woman fly in that show? Did she use her tiara to ricochet? Did she use her lasso like Wonder Woman did in the white house? And what do you think the finale of WW84 with her using the truth power on the world comes from if not from "Gods and Mortals" by George Perez with her convincing Ares to stop?

I've never watched more than an episode of Lynda Carter's show, but your theory doesn't make sense. Did Wonder Woman fly in that show? Did she use her tiara to ricochet? Did she use her lasso like Wonder Woman did in the white house? And what do you think the finale of WW84 with her using the truth power on the world comes from if not from "Gods and Mortals" by George Perez with her convincing Ares to stop?
    You don't really need to watch that show to come to these conclusions, just listen or read Patty's interviews.

You didn't refute anything I wrote

What was I supposed to refute? I wasn't arguing with you or anyone.

They had a really low budget for the Carter tv show so they did what they could to portray her powers.
    She could not fly indeed. She just jumped really high and ran really fast.
    I think her using her tiara as a throwing weapon actually comes from the TV show but I could be wrong.
    Regarding her speed, they got Steve to say that WW is so fast that you can’t see her sometimes. They just could not show it onscreen because of the limited budget.

There were actually some cool feats where she could stop a bus in full speed, stopped a tank from moving and prevented a plane from gaining speed on the runway and actually managed to stop it. I think she also kept a helicopter from flying away with her lasso, showcasing her strength.
    She also caught a missile and threw it back. And she was also able to tank a sort of super-laser with her whole body.
    But there were other times where she would feel so weak. Like getting Ko’ed with chloroform. Losing her powers when her belt was taken away from her.

I think the main reason people think that Patty relied too much on the TV show nostalgia is the fact that WW is so limited power level wise. It reminds them and me included of the 70´s Wonder Woman.
    But they actually had something like 200 million dollar to make the WW84 movie and it did not really show onscreen.
    Last edited by enish; 05-13-2021 at 09:45 PM.