Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Because flight isn't who she is. She can fly in some stories, but she rarely does anything with the power. It's even easy to forget if she flies or not. Did Wonder Woman fly in the new 52 Justice League animated movies? I'm guessing yes, but i don't recall any iconic moment of her flying. The 2009 film didn't show her flying and the DCEU didn't either until the last movie (so 3 movies in the DCEU before she ever flew). This is the definition of being a discardable power.
    Really, you do not remember Diana punching Darkseid from the bottom to the top, althrough a building?
    Then tie him with her lasso while flying super-fast?
    She also killed an army of parademons all the the way to the President in his plane which was obviously in the air.

Even in the DCEU they did leave it ambiguous, but it was pretty clear to me that she was flying at the end of Wonder Woman 1, she hovered at least two times during her battle with Ares and I believe she actually flew to Doomsday.

Quote Originally Posted by enish View Post
    Why does she need to fly?

She does not NEED to fly as much as she does not NEED to be super-fast or to talk to animals or anything else.

She just DOES fly.

And contrary to some claims, she was able to stop a falling meteor the size of Manhattan because she had super-strength AND could fly. How could she have stopped that meteor by simply jumping?

She also kept a bridge with dozens of cars on it from collapsing because she COULD fly. How could she have held that bridge together if she could not fly?

She destroyed and tanked a nuke in the sky because she COULD fly. How could she have stopped that nuke from doing any major damage on the ground if she did not neutralize it in the sky?

She was able to help move the moon because she COULD fly. How could she have done that if she could not fly?

Even in the #600 runs, it was made clear flight was en essential part of her powerset.

She ran after a plane which was clearly going faster than she could. She built up speed but it was not enough until she eventually unlocked her ability to fly. It was a dramatic moment.

Then, she fought the Dark Gods who first appeared as giant golems. I think one of them would eventually fall on a city or something so she had to take it away. She did it of course, by flying.

I think there are many situations that would justify her flying.
    Those are good examples of her needing the power of flight. And I'm sure you can come up with more, but if you picked up a random issue of her book, even one filled with action, flight would just be used for her to get from one location to another. It still isn't common for that ability to be used in a necessary capacity.

And again, flight doesn't define thebpower level of a character. All the characters in the Legion of Super-Heroes can fly, but most of all aren't very powerful at all. And Hulk is just one example of someone with extreme power that doesn't fly. People mentioned Darkseid (who does fly in certain stories). In the DC universe most of the heroes fly or have some kind of device like Fourth World flying disks. But various powerful villains don't fly, and at Marvel many of the powerful heroes don't fly either.

Those are good examples of her needing the power of flight. And I'm sure you can come up with more, but if you picked up a random issue of her book, even one filled with action, flight would just be used for her to get from one location to another. It still isn't common for that ability to be used in a necessary capacity.

And again, flight doesn't define thebpower level of a character. All the characters in the Legion of Super-Heroes can fly, but most of all aren't very powerful at all. And Hulk is just one example of someone with extreme power that doesn't fly. People mentioned Darkseid (who does fly in certain stories). In the DC universe most of the heroes fly or have some kind of device like Fourth World flying disks. But various powerful villains don't fly, and at Marvel many of the powerful heroes don't fly either.
    I must respectfully express my disagreement with you on this.

I don’t know if you’ve been reading all the recent Wonder Woman issues, but her flight was used more than just as a means for traveling.

She fought both Jason and Grail with a combination of flight and hand to hand combat.
    She did the same when she fought Darkseid. And a mind controlled Supergirl. And when she fought Superman. And Silverswan obviously. And Zod, and Faora too.

Everything you said about WW flying could be applied to Superman as well.

Fine whatever, I'm tired of this discussion. Imma repost this because I still wanna know what other people think.

Recently we discussed Wonder Woman's vulnerability and what utility the bracelets have. Of course the bracelets are still useful against attacks of cosmic proportions, but one idea that floated around was that Wonder Woman's skin could be comparable to that of a normal being and thus be hit by normal bullets, but her muscles and bones and other organs are nigh invulnerable. Thus, while Diana can bleed easily, she can still take massive punches from huge beasts.

I have to admit that I don't love the idea of Diana being full of blood early on into a fight. So one idea that I had was that Diana's skin feels like normal skin but it actually cracks instead of being ripped apart. So she wouldn't really be bleeding much, but would be full of bullets stuck in her body and other stuff if she didn't use her bracelets. It gives her a reason to deflect bullets but doesn't make it a big deal if she gets hit.

A secondary but related idea I've been thinking about was that Diana should have evergrowing stamina. In other words, as a fight goes on and Diana takes more damage and pressure, her spirit starts getting more and more determined, and while her strength doesn't increase exponentially, her energy does. It's as if the cracks on her skin ended up condensing her body into a more rigid form along with her mind. This goes along with my view of Diana as a wrestling type, whose goal is to dominate the other person, and can do so by wearing them out. She will never get worn out during her fight.

She can still be stopped obviously. In a fight vs Doomsday Diana's arms could eventually be ripped off if she didn't manage to stop him, and she could get incapacitated by some unbreakable force she couldn't escape from, like her own lasso or something else. And she could be psyhically attacked and lose control over her body. But her evergrowing stamine would make sure that if it was physically possible for her to do something then she would keep going at her maximum power regardless of how long the fight has gone on for.

An example of this is in this clip of One Punch Man, where a guy with a metal bat takes a brutal beating, but his fighting spirit increases and he becomes more powerful over the course of a fight (I also posted in the anime thread). This isn't the Hulk scenario where "the more angry Diana gets the stronger she becomes", it's about an unabating fighter that excels under pressure.

Last edited by Alpha; 05-16-2021 at 05:10 AM.

Fine whatever, I'm tired of this discussion.
    Look, you've stated something and I just countered your statement with facts straight from the comics.

You are the one who actually said that if we were to pick any issue, Diana would just use flight to go from point A to B. Which is not exactly true, in most of the issues, as pointed out with the many examples I've taken.

Now, it seems unfair to me that we would take away from Diana bits of her powerset while all the other heroes keep getting stronger and stronger.

Her abilities actually make sense because of her nature as a demi-goddess and they are most of the time well showcased in the comics, something most of us would have liked to see portrayed as such in the movies.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong, I'm just tired of discussing this and would rather move on to another topic.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-16-2021 at 06:36 AM.

I’m down with the Perez and/or Rucka versions... gifted at birth by the Olympian ladies and Hermes or gifted later in her life after becoming the champion of the Amazons.

Her strength, speed, resilience, ability to fly, ability to get on well with animals, and open people’s hearts, is definitely enough.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

My question about the space ship was to show that even when Wonder Woman has space adventures she doesn't use her flight. Whereas Superman does most of the time.

Parasite does fly when he absorbs super powers. Lex Luthor flies with his armor. Toyman has used various flyong plataforms. Braniac is in a flying a ship a lot of times. And beyond even these guys, Superman is contantly stopping aerial threats, like planes and meteors, and parademons and etc. Lobo doesn't fly but his bike does, so it's an aerial battle.

You guys are so intensely obsessed with an ability that Diana barely uses and doesn't even need. Her boyfriend is a pilot for goodness sake, if she needs to go into an aerial battle (which happens very rarely) having Steve keep her in the air via his plane is the perfect way for him to support her and show he is important.
    None of those things need Superman to fly. He can do a super leap and still stop those attacks.

Circe doesn't really fly much, Devastation flies if Diana flies. This is why I didn't bring up Zod for Superman, because their powers are always going to be tied togethee so if you take away the hero's power then you also tame away the villains power.
    So Devastation flies if Diana flies just like how Parasite flies if Superman flies?

I maintain everything I said but I don't have anything more to say about that topic.

This is being derailed by these flight arguments. This is the Wonder Woman unique powers thread, not the power level thread or nerfing Wonder Woman thread. These kind of discussions are more suited for the power level or controversial opinion threads.

Anyway, I'll just add a unique power I'd always wanted DC gods and magicians to have is a Domain. Anyone who has watched Fate Zero/UBW etc or Jujutsu Kaisen knows what Reality Marbles and Domain Expansions are. They're basically all the powers of the characters being pooled to create a miniature pocket dimension where the caster is King. So like a fire+type character could have a hellish domain filled with fire and magma or whatever.

Anyway, for DC characters or gods, the first thing is to give them a title that determines what their domain is. For example since Ares is a God of War, his domain would be a space filled with slaughter, blood, weapons, etc. Anyway, I'm almost sure there's something like this in some form especially for Ares/Mars like the time he had his own personal dimension. Anyway, for Diana the most important would be setting her title as a goddess: Goddess of Truth; then brainstorm what kind of domain fits her vocation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gitagon View Post
    This is being derailed by these flight arguments. This is the Wonder Woman unique powers thread, not the power level thread or nerfing Wonder Woman thread. These kind of discussions are more suited for the power level or controversial opinion threads.
    I tried three times to get people to discuss the idea of Diana having evergrowing stamina and unique skin type, but all everyone cared about was the flight discussion.

Did somebody say flight?

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Writers need to start using her other powers more. I hate people say "she needs to be differentiated from". She is, her writers have been lazy and doesn't use her full arsenal.

Unless you're talking about the new 52 daughter of Zeus powers, I have no idea what you're talking about. None of the powers I can think of are used for combat. Animal empathy for example would rarely be useful in a fight versus Starro.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Writers need to start using her other powers more. I hate people say "she needs to be differentiated from". She is, her writers have been lazy and doesn't use her full arsenal.
    Very true. So far, her unique power is how often she gets the role of a jobber in current era.