Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    You asked if Hulk was weak because he couldn't fly. My point is they are different characters meant to serve different story telling needs.

Or you know, she flies up there like she does in many, many of her appearances and then uses her infinite stretching lasso to stop the space craft.

Taking flight away from her is a dumbass idea.
    I don't think it makes sense to define her powers by the Justice League adventures. I think it's much more important to focus on what she needs in her own stories and own comics.

You still haven't explained why Diana needs to fly but Hulk doesn't. You are just stating that you believe in that, but you aren't justifying it. Diana doesn't need to do everything that Superman does, she just needs to do whatever she needs to do. She can be as powerful as the Hulk and not lose one step.

Superman and Green Lantern fly because they have adventures in outer space by themselves and because they have many aerial threats and challenges. Diana doesn't.
    Last edited by Alpha; 05-15-2021 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Recently we discussed Wonder Woman's vulnerability and what utility the bracelets have. Of course the bracelets are still useful against attacks of cosmic proportions, but one idea that floated around was that Wonder Woman's skin could be comparable to that of a normal being and thus be hit by normal bullets, but her muscles and bones and other organs are nigh invulnerable. Thus, while Diana can bleed easily, she can still take massive punches from huge beasts.

I have to admit that I don't love the idea of Diana being full of blood early on into a fight. So one idea that I had was that Diana's skin feels like normal skin but it actually cracks instead of being ripped apart. Does she wouldn't really be bleeding much, but would be full of bullets stuck in her body and other stuff if she didn't use her bracelets.

A secondary but related idea I've been thinking about was that Diana should have evergrowing stamina. In other words, as a fight goes on and Diana takes more damage and pressure, her spirit starts getting more and more determined, and while her strength doesn't increase exponentially, her energy does. It's as if the cracks on her skin ended up condensing her body into a more rigid form along with her mind. This goes along with my view of Diana as a wrestling type, whose goal is to dominate the other person, and can do so by wearing them out.

An example of this is in this clip of One Punch Man, where a guy with a metal bat takes a brutal beating, but his fighting spirit increases and he becomes more powerful over the course of a fight (I also posted in the anime thread). This isn't the Hulk scenario where "the more angry Diana gets the stronger she becomes", it's about an unabating fighter that excels when challenged.
    No opinion on this?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I don't think it makes sense to define her powers by the Justice League adventures. I think it's much more important to focus on what she needs in her own stories and own comics.

You still haven't explained why Diana needs to fly but Hulk doesn't. You are just stating that you believe in that, but you aren't justifying it. Diana doesn't need to do everything that Superman does, she just needs to do whatever she needs to do. She can be as powerful as the Hulk and not lose one step.

Superman and Green Lantern fly because they have adventures in outer space by themselves and because they have many aerial threats and challenges. Diana doesn't.
    Wonder Woman has had adventures in outer space and has an aerial threat for a villain. Superman doesnt need to have outerspace adventures and being in outer space doesn't mean that you need to automatically fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Wonder Woman has had adventures in outer space and has an aerial threat for a villain. Superman doesnt need to have outerspace adventures and being in outer space doesn't mean that you need to automatically fly.
    Has she had any outer space adventures since post crisis where she didn't use a space ship to travel? And yes she has ONE aerial villain, that she can fight even without flying. And again, she only has one of those, whereas all other flying heroes have tons.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Has she had any outer space adventures since post crisis where she didn't use a space ship to travel? And yes she has ONE aerial villain, that she can fight even without flying. And again, she only has one of those, whereas all other flying heroes have tons.
    What does needing a space ship to travel matter? Flying doesnt equate to automatically being able to breathe in space. Majority of Supermans well known villains don't fly. Those that do only flew after he could. Bizarro, Maxima. Darkseid rarely flies, Brianiac is mainly in a ship, Mongul doesnt fly, Parasite doesnt fly, Toyman doesnt fly, Lobo doesnt fly, Metallo doesn't fly, Reactron doesnt fly. When Superman is in space he is mainly traveling to other planets.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 05-15-2021 at 09:09 PM.

My question about the space ship was to show that even when Wonder Woman has space adventures she doesn't use her flight. Whereas Superman does most of the time.

Parasite does fly when he absorbs super powers. Lex Luthor flies with his armor. Toyman has used various flyong plataforms. Braniac is in a flying a ship a lot of times. And beyond even these guys, Superman is contantly stopping aerial threats, like planes and meteors, and parademons and etc. Lobo doesn't fly but his bike does, so it's an aerial battle.

You guys are so intensely obsessed with an ability that Diana barely uses and doesn't even need. Her boyfriend is a pilot for goodness sake, if she needs to go into an aerial battle (which happens very rarely) having Steve keep her in the air via his plane is the perfect way for him to support her and show he is important.

And you guys still haven't explained why Hulk doesn't need to fly in order to stand side by side with Thor and Superman, but Diana somehow does.

I don't have to explain to you the difference between Hulk and Wonder Woman anymore that I have to explain why Thor can make thunder while Hulk doesn't.

I'm not defining her based on her adventures with the JL. I'm defining her based on the terms that her creator made and his reasoning behind it. Yes, she didn't fly initially. But neither did Superman. Nowadays, it's accepted that Diana can fly. She's flown in 90% of her adaptations and even her second solo movie ends with her triumphantly flying in the sky. Diana is a mythic inspired hero whose power and wisdom are meant to be on par with the likes of Heracles, Hermes, Athena and Aphrodite. "Wise as Athena, Strong As Heracles, As Fast As Hermes". Whether or not she is in a shared universe, these are qualities that she must have.

You are getting so caught up in this idea of who you think she should be and not who she is.

She has at least three - Circe, Silver Swan and Devastation.

My question about the space ship was to show that even when Wonder Woman has space adventures she doesn't use her flight. Whereas Superman does most of the time.

Parasite does fly when he absorbs super powers. Lex Luthor flies with his armor. Toyman has used various flyong plataforms. Braniac is in a flying a ship a lot of times. And beyond even these guys, Superman is contantly stopping aerial threats, like planes and meteors, and parademons and etc. Lobo doesn't fly but his bike does, so it's an aerial battle.

You guys are so intensely obsessed with an ability that Diana barely uses and doesn't even need. Her boyfriend is a pilot for goodness sake, if she needs to go into an aerial battle (which happens very rarely) having Steve keep her in the air via his plane is the perfect way for him to support her and show he is important.
    Diana has used flight constantly ever since she got it in the Perez run. And taking away Diana's flight to make Steve a glorified chauffeur is one of the most creatively bankrupt ideas for Diana I've heard in a long time. I also find it funny you (incorrectly) claim Diana barely uses flight yet try to prove your point by saying Parasite is an aerial based fighter because he can absorb flight from others sometimes.

Why does she need to fly?

She does not NEED to fly as much as she does not NEED to be super-fast or to talk to animals or anything else.

She just DOES fly.

And contrary to some claims, she was able to stop a falling meteor the size of Manhattan because she had super-strength AND could fly. How could she have stopped that meteor by simply jumping?

She also kept a bridge with dozens of cars on it from collapsing because she COULD fly. How could she have held that bridge together if she could not fly?

She destroyed and tanked a nuke in the sky because she COULD fly. How could she have stopped that nuke from doing any major damage on the ground if she did not neutralize it in the sky?

She was able to help move the moon because she COULD fly. How could she have done that if she could not fly?

Even in the #600 runs, it was made clear flight was en essential part of her powerset.

She ran after a plane which was clearly going faster than she could. She built up speed but it was not enough until she eventually unlocked her ability to fly. It was a dramatic moment.

Then, she fought the Dark Gods who first appeared as giant golems. I think one of them would eventually fall on a city or something so she had to take it away. She did it of course, by flying.

I think there are many situations that would justify her flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Ares can fly too.

Any of the gods could potentially fly, they are not bound by earthly physics.

So does Superwoman.

And you guys still haven't explained why Hulk doesn't need to fly in order to stand side by side with Thor and Superman, but Diana somehow does.
    Simply put : it’s not one of his abilities.

Superman could not fly and now he does.

Wonder Woman could not fly. Then she could glide on winds. Now she can outright fly.

The Hulk could not stop a meteor from hitting the ground.

Wonder Woman can because she both as the strength and the ability to fly.

Now I think Diana would mainly stay on the ground as it’s more in line with her combat style but given the situation, she would still be able to fly. She’s WONDER woman after all, so she should have abilities far beyond the common super-hero.

Or just call her something else.

Take away her flight and speed and make her a mid-tier hero, she would just be a basic super-human.

Now Diana is a Demi-goddess bound to be a full deity, so she should fly.

I don't have to explain to you the difference between Hulk and Wonder Woman anymore that I have to explain why Thor can make thunder while Hulk doesn't.
    I mean, there's a clear reason for those things. Thor is a Thunder god while Hulk is just an overgrown mutates human with every aspect of his body enhanced. Heck, Thor doesn't even fly, the hammer does.

I'm not defining her based on her adventures with the JL. I'm defining her based on the terms that her creator made and his reasoning behind it. Yes, she didn't fly initially. But neither did Superman. Nowadays, it's accepted that Diana can fly. She's flown in 90% of her adaptations and even her second solo movie ends with her triumphantly flying in the sky. Diana is a mythic inspired hero whose power and wisdom are meant to be on par with the likes of Heracles, Hermes, Athena and Aphrodite. "Wise as Athena, Strong As Heracles, As Fast As Hermes". Whether or not she is in a shared universe, these are qualities that she must have.
    How are you defining her based on Marston?

None of those things are reasons for her to fly. None of those gods fly. And flight hasn't been important in any of her adaptations. Even in the second movie it was just about emotional catharsis, but she's never actually used it for anything.
    You are getting so caught up in this idea of who you think she should be and not who she is.
    Because flight isn't who she is. She can fly in some stories, but she rarely does anything with the power. It's even easy to forget if she flies or not. Did Wonder Woman fly in the new 52 Justice League animated movies? I'm guessing yes, but i don't recall any iconic moment of her flying. The 2009 film didn't show her flying and the DCEU didn't either until the last movie (so 3 movies in the DCEU before she ever flew). This is the definition of being a discardable power.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Circe doesn't really fly much, Devastation flies if Diana flies. This is why I didn't bring up Zod for Superman, because their powers are always going to be tied togethee so if you take away the hero's power then you also tame away the villains power.