Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Superman wasn't meant to fly either, he got flying from a cartoon because the animators didn't want to animate him jumping. It transitioned into the comics after that.
    Do you think I'm this aware of the Golden Age Wonder Woman and yet somehow I don't realize that Superman didn't fly at the beginning? The creators of Superman still embraced Superman's flying abilities. Marston never had her fly as far as I know. And I told you why Superman flying makes sense. It both has a thematic justification and is used extensively in his stories. Neither of those things are true for Wonder Woman. In most situations where she uses flight she could just as well solve the problem without flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Do you think I'm this aware of the Golden Age Wonder Woman and yet somehow I don't realize that Superman didn't fly at the beginning? The creators of Superman still embraced Superman's flying abilities. Marston never had her fly as far as I know. And I told you why Superman flying makes sense. It both has a thematic justification and is used extensively in his stories. Neither of those things are true for Wonder Woman. In most situations where she uses flight she could just as well solve the problem without flying.
    Considering Superman was meant to be John Carter but on Earth you could argue it doesn't make sense with the original vision they wanted for the character. Just because they accepted the idea later on doesn't mean it doesn't clash with their original vision for the character.

Considering Superman was meant to be John Carter but on Earth you could argue it doesn't make sense with the original vision they wanted for the character. Just because they accepted the idea later on doesn't mean it doesn't clash with their original vision for the character.
    Superman wasn't meant to be one thing. He was an amalgamation of countless stories and characters, from books, to wrestlers, to other comic strips like Popeye, to vigilante heroes like Lone Ranger, and Shadow, to movie stars.

And again, you aren't answering my main argument. Superman flying makes sense today because he is an alien, and defying gravity makes him feel like someone that comes from a world where physics were entirely different (which was the explanation for his powers right from the beginning).

And most of all, Superman's flight power is used a lot in all of his stories, that's not the case with Wonder Woman. Most of her problems can easily be solved without her even needing flight. So it doesn't really have a purpose.

When I say that his flight powers are used a lot in his stories, it's not just that writers choose to use it, it's that a lot of his villains the threats he usually faces actually require him flying. He fights alien armadas in spaceships, he has alien conquerors that fly towards hurt causing destruction and he needs to drag them into the stratosphere, there are planes that mal function and he has to catch them, etc.

Wonder Woman's list of villains and usual challenges don't really require her to fly, aside from Silver Swan, and even she can be defeated without Wonder Woman flying on her own. Diana can jump mega high and use the lasso to grab swan, or she can have a aerial battle with Steve Trevor providing assistance via piloting a plane (another way to get Steve into her stories).

Superman wasn't meant to be one thing. He was an amalgamation of countless stories and characters, from books, to wrestlers, to other comic strips like Popeye, to vigilante heroes like Lone Ranger, and Shadow, to movie stars.

And again, you aren't answering my main argument. Superman flying makes sense today because he is an alien, and defying gravity makes him feel like someone that comes from a world where physics were entirely different (which was the explanation for his powers right from the beginning).

And most of all, Superman's flight power is used a lot in all of his stories, that's not the case with Wonder Woman. Most of her problems can easily be solved without her even needing flight. So it doesn't really have a purpose.
    Considering the creators went out of their way to provide a scientific explanation (that was actually pretty decent) for Clarks abilities, how does the completely unrealistic ability of him flying make sense? Especially when the origin of the ability is animators not wanting to animate him jumping, it wasn't the creator's idea.

Plus I was never addressing your main argument. If you don't want Diana to fly that's your opinion, I just think trying to say it makes sense for Clark to fly because he's a magical alien is silly. (especially when Diana is the magical one)

Considering the creators went out of their way to provide a scientific explanation (that was actually pretty decent) for Clarks abilities, how does the completely unrealistic ability of him flying make sense? Especially when the origin of the ability is animators not wanting to animate him jumping, it wasn't the creator's idea.

Plus I was never addressing your main argument. If you don't want Diana to fly that's your opinion, I just think trying to say it makes sense for Clark to fly because he's a magical alien is silly. (especially when Diana is the magical one)
    So you aren't trying to convince me that Diana's flight is necessary, just that Superman's is equally unjustifiable? I totally agree that the more we focus on the idea that Superman's powers are scientific the more silly it becomes. In my fanfic Kryptonians worship the sun as a deity and all their technology functions through solar energy and their powers are the result of transhumanism and genetical engineering, which itself is supported by a spiritual belief in intelligent energy. So the reason why they fly is because their sun god allowed them to transform their bodies over centuries via pseudo technology to the point where light itself could make them fly. So yes, Superman's powers would also be supernatural, and only pseudo scientific.

And Superman does have a good reason to fly, the fact that he needs to so he can solves those aerial challenges that keep coming in his stories.

So you aren't trying to convince me that Diana's flight is necessary, just that Superman's is equally unjustifiable? I totally agree that the more we focus on the idea that Superman's powers are scientific the more silly it becomes. In my fanfic Kryptonians worship the sun as a deity and all their technology functions through solar energy and their powers are the result of transhumanism and genetical engineering, which itself is supported by a spiritual belief in intelligent energy. So the reason why they fly is because their sun god allowed them to transform their bodies over centuries via pseudo technology to the point where light itself could make them fly. So yes, Superman's powers would also be supernatural, and only pseudo scientific.

And Superman does have a good reason to fly, the fact that he needs to so he can solves those aerial challenges that keep coming in his stories.
    Why can't Superman just use his baby ship to get around?

Recently we discussed Wonder Woman's vulnerability and what utility the bracelets have. Of course the bracelets are still useful against attacks of cosmic proportions, but one idea that floated around was that Wonder Woman's skin could be comparable to that of a normal being and thus be hit by normal bullets, but her muscles and bones and other organs are nigh invulnerable. Thus, while Diana can bleed easily, she can still take massive punches from huge beasts.

I have to admit that I don't love the idea of Diana being full of blood early on into a fight. So one idea that I had was that Diana's skin feels like normal skin but it actually cracks instead of being ripped apart. Does she wouldn't really be bleeding much, but would be full of bullets stuck in her body and other stuff if she didn't use her bracelets.

A secondary but related idea I've been thinking about was that Diana should have evergrowing stamina. In other words, as a fight goes on and Diana takes more damage and pressure, her spirit starts getting more and more determined, and while her strength doesn't increase exponentially, her energy does. It's as if the cracks on her skin ended up condensing her body into a more rigid form along with her mind. This goes along with my view of Diana as a wrestling type, whose goal is to dominate the other person, and can do so by wearing them out.

An example of this is in this clip of One Punch Man, where a guy with a metal bat takes a brutal beating, but his fighting spirit increases and he becomes more powerful over the course of a fight (I also posted in the anime thread). This isn't the Hulk scenario where "the more angry Diana gets the stronger she becomes", it's about an unabating fighter that excels when challenged.

I'm just cackling at the mental image of Diana leaping from building to building while the rest of the JL flies and viewers are left wondering why she doesn't fly since she has done so in every other adaptation.

Marston may not have had her fly but it is a natural extension of her power. Just like how Superman went from leaping to full on flight. It doesn't make sense to de power her.

WW should be as powerful and capable as any other male hero. To act like Marston never intended for her to be a powerhouse along with being a kind, compassionate, is just revisionism:

Women's strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman.
    “As lovely as Aphrodite - as wise as Athena - with the speed of Mercury and the strength of Hercules - she is known only as Wonder Woman.”
    Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power.
    “Righting the wrongs, defending America from the enemies of democracy and fighting for downtrodden women and children, in a man made world, Wonder Woman wins the hearts and leads the youth of America to victory over evil!
    https://www.azquotes.com/author/9519...oulton_Marston

https://www.goodreads.com/author/quo...oulton_Marston

Is Hulk weak just because he doesn't fly?

Hulk is not Wonder Woman.

And fine, let's say Diana can't fetch a ride from Green Lantern or Superman and Batman left his bat jet at home. Imagine the Justice League trying to stop a giant space ship way up in the air, and Diana can't jump that high. Want a cool image?

How about she jumps as high as she can and throws her infinitely stretching lasso to latch itself to the space ship. She then comes back on the ground or on a rooftop and starts pulling the entire spaceship with her lasso and her massive strength from miles and miles away. Who needs flight?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Hulk is not Wonder Woman.
    Why not? Aren't you guys worried that Diana should be as powerful as Thor and Superman? Both those guys have fought Hulk with no definite winner. Why shouldn't Wonder Woman be at that level? And if Hulk can be a formidable force in a team with Thor and Superman, why can't a flightless Diana?

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

For me...I like my WW to fly. Why? Simple. Flying is cool. It's basically become encoded into the character for majority of her adaptations and something that isnt taken away from Superman 99% of the time because or else he isnt considered the most powerful hero ever who can do ANYTHING.

Why not? Aren't you guys worried that Diana should be as powerful as Thor and Superman? Both those guys have fought Hulk with no definite winner. Why shouldn't Wonder Woman be at that level? And if Hulk can be a formidable force in a team with Thor and Superman, why can't a flightless Diana?
    You asked if Hulk was weak because he couldn't fly. My point is they are different characters meant to serve different story telling needs.

And fine, let's say Diana can't fetch a ride from Green Lantern or Superman and Batman left his bat jet at home. Imagine the Justice League trying to stop a giant space ship way up in the air, and Diana can't jump that high. Want a cool image?

How about she jumps as high as she can and throws her infinitely stretching lasso to latch itself to the space ship. She then comes back on the ground or on a rooftop and starts pulling the entire spaceship with her lasso and her massive strength from miles and miles away. Who needs flight?
    Or you know, she flies up there like she does in many, many of her appearances and then uses her infinite stretching lasso to stop the space craft.

Taking flight away from her is a dumbass idea.