Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vampire Man and Ghost Boy

Hello. It has always been my dream to make comics and I've been collaborating with various artists on some comic projects for awhile. Many of the projects are nearing completion, so I thought that I would share a few pages with fellow comic fans.

You can see some previews at my website and Facebook Page:
    http://www.sphinxscribble.com
    http://www.facebook.com/sphinxscribble

However, I'm also going to post some material in this thread, along with some commentary on the projects.

Vampire Man and Ghost Boy
    This project originally started back in 2010 (in rough draft form), but underwent revision in 2013. The new artwork is by the very talented, 2013 Russ Manning Promising Newcomer Nominee Rem Broo of Image Comic's The End Times of Bram and Ben. The amount of detail he brings to each panel is incredible, and his splash pages are very dynamic.

(Click to Enlarge)

(Click to Enlarge)

(Click to Enlarge)

The comic is about a lonely kid who is never noticed by others. He enjoys escaping into his own drawings as Ghost Boy, the masked crime-fighter (where his inconspicuousness comes in handy). His partner against crime is Vampire Man, a mad scientist who lives in a secret laboratory underneath a cemetery.

You can read a preview of the first few pages here.

Thank you for reading! I'll post some more information about this project and others later.
    Last edited by SphinxScribble; 08-29-2014 at 12:15 PM.

Wow! This is some really grand stuff, right here. I absolutely love it!
    Squatch Kick! - Looking for a bigger kick?
    Currently backing on KickStarter: The Plowshare

Looks like a really fun story. I love the art style, the lab splash made me think of Beetlejuice/ German Expressionism.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post
    Wow! This is some really grand stuff, right here. I absolutely love it!
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Looks like a really fun story. I love the art style, the lab splash made me think of Beetlejuice/ German Expressionism.
    Thanks! The artist told me he was going for a Tim Burton look for this comic.
    The zombie dog in my original version was also inspired by Tim Burton's 1984 Frankenweenie (it was one of my favorite movies to watch when I was a kid, though I have not seen the more recent remake).

If either of you (or anyone else) would like a free preview copy of Vampire Man and Ghost Boy, let me know.

Oh, and here is another story I have been working on:

The Case of Many Faces
    A detective investigating an odd series of decapitations is invited to a mysterious masquerade ball by a reclusive count. He hopes to find the killer among the masked participants.

The skilled artist known as Narm is my collaborator on this story. I also work with him on a webcomic called Starpunch Girl.

Here are some concept designs of a few of the suspects:

Joker

The theatrical Joker is adept at juggling all sorts of things, including knives. Could the knives have been the murder weapon?

Executioner

The intimidating Executioner is by far the largest partygoer at the masquerade. Could the axe have been the murder weapon?

The Executioner's design is meant to evoke the feeling of an unstoppable horror movie monster.

Chef

The seafood Chef is an expert with kitchen blades and can also wrestle large fish with his bare hands. Could the kitchen cleaver have been the murder weapon?

While the Chef is normally quite genial, his mood changes depending on his mask. When wearing the Fish Bone mask, his persona changes to that of a Heel Wrestler.

Please check back later for the designs of the rest of the masqueraders!
    Last edited by SphinxScribble; 08-29-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SphinxScribble View Post
    Thanks! The artist told me he was going for a Tim Burton look for this comic.
    The zombie dog in my original version was also inspired by Tim Burton's 1984 Frankenweenie (it was one of my favorite movies to watch when I was a kid, though I have not seen the more recent remake).

If either of you (or anyone else) would like a free preview copy of Vampire Man and Ghost Boy, let me know.

Oh, and here is another story I have been working on:

The Case of Many Faces
    A detective investigating an odd series of decapitations is invited to a mysterious masquerade ball by a reclusive count. He hopes to find the killer among the masked participants.
    Ah, thats even cooler. Im a big Tim Burton/ Frankenweenie fan as well. Yeah a preview copy would be great!

The Case of Many Faces also sounds interesting. I'll look forward to hearing more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Ah, thats even cooler. Im a big Tim Burton/ Frankenweenie fan as well. Yeah a preview copy would be great!

The Case of Many Faces also sounds interesting. I'll look forward to hearing more about it.
    Thanks, I will get a preview copy sent to you as soon as possible.

Here is another concept design for The Case of Many Faces by Narm:

This is the detective that is investigating the case of many faces. He wears an owl mask to the masquerade ball. Later, I will upload the design of his unmasked appearance.

And here are some concept designs for Vampire Man and Ghost Boy by Rem Broo:

https://www.facebook.com/sphinxscribble
    Last edited by SphinxScribble; 08-29-2014 at 12:26 PM.

Hunter (from The Case of Many Faces)

Are the victims' heads ending up as the Hunter's trophies?

The scars on his arms are meant to look like tiger stripes.

Also, I didn't realize that Imgur (the image hosting website that I've been using for the images in this thread) has been compressing the images I've been uploading. I thought I already had the files reduced to the acceptable Imgur limits (the original files I uploaded were all under 1 MB), yet Imgur reduced them even further.

So I apologize for the low quality of some of the images in this thread (they looked okay on one monitor, but I checked them with a better monitor and they look very compressed).
    Last edited by SphinxScribble; 08-29-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Okay, I think I fixed the images so they look a bit better now (I just uploaded them to my own web space instead).

Interrogator/Torturer from The Case of Many Faces:

Like the Detective, the Interrogator is also searching for the killer. However, she's willing to use any means necessary to get a confession.

The design of her armor is based on an iron maiden torture device.

Vampire Man and Ghost Boy looks like so much fun. Great art style for sure. Has so much character in the linework!

Quote Originally Posted by NunoXEI View Post
    Vampire Man and Ghost Boy looks like so much fun. Great art style for sure. Has so much character in the linework!
    Thanks! It's a lot of fun to write (we are currently writing new chapters for it) and I hope it will be fun for people to read.

Here are some more concept designs from Vampire Man and Ghost Boy by Rem Broo.

Igor Frankencents:

The Cat and Dog:
    Last edited by SphinxScribble; 09-01-2014 at 07:18 PM.

Truly, there's some really great stuff in this thread.

I'm loving all of it.
    Squatch Kick! - Looking for a bigger kick?
    Currently backing on KickStarter: The Plowshare

All-New Member

The coloring in the first tw panels is great. I love the marker-like feel to it.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesM View Post
    Truly, there's some really great stuff in this thread.

I'm loving all of it.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NickAllott View Post
    The coloring in the first tw panels is great. I love the marker-like feel to it.
    Thanks, I think the artist did a great job on the coloring too.

Awesome artworks!

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjarin View Post
    Awesome artworks!
    Thanks for checking the work and commenting, I also think the artists on these comics are very good.

There has been some news about one of the comics I write:

(Click for a larger version!)

The artist and I were recently contacted by a Thailand comic publisher (www.letcomic.com), and we agreed to publish a Starpunch Girl limited physical edition comic for the Thailand Book Fair, October 2014.

The copy is going to be 100 pages of full color including chapter 1-2.

This edition will be exclusively sold at the book convention and the Let's Comic franchise shop. Online purchase will be also available on the Let's Comic website, and they will ship anywhere around the world.