Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Guess it's a WWII flashback.
    Series will probably be like the old Sensation Comics digital series so probably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I was going to give it a shot already but Amy Chu sold me further.
    The tiara being used as a boomerang again is what got me on this story.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Series will probably be like the old Sensation Comics digital series so probably.

The tiara being used as a boomerang again is what got me on this story.
    Shame that the Done-in-Ones are the only place we get the gimmicky stuff, but I'm glad they're around. I love one-shot stories.

Now give me some of that Blue Snowman, DC. You know I'm fiending for the E-List.

I really hope this isn't another anthology series, that's what ruined the last Sensation. When stories aren't connected to a continuity they really seem pointless. There's no past or future and they lack gravitas because they're not building towards anything and there are no lasting repercussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I really hope this isn't another anthology series, that's what ruined the last Sensation. When stories aren't connected to a continuity they really seem pointless. There's no past or future and they lack gravitas because they're not building towards anything and there are no lasting repercussions.
    True, thats the major reason why I stopped getting AoP.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I think there's a strong appeal in one-and-dones when the writing is there to support it, but that's just me .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Split the difference? Main continuing story for 22 pages, backup one-shot anthology style for 10 pages, add $2 (1 for digital) to the cost?

I think there's a strong appeal in one-and-dones when the writing is there to support it, but that's just me .
    Yeah, I actually enjoy one-and-done stories a lot.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

I love one-and-dones. I don't necessarily want all my Wonder Woman tales to build to a world-ending event or be bound to some larger overarching continuity. I do want my WW tales to simply be entertaining, fun, and thrilling.

I don't mind them being done-in-ones, though I've probably enjoyed AOP more than others. I do hope maybe it becomes like Legends of the Dark Knight where there can be some longer standalone multi-issue arcs.

Series is already off to a better start than Sensation or AOP since neither of their first issue feature Bat-characters.

Strong writing is key. There are some decent one-and-dones but if there Are elements I like, it irks me that they're so transient. Take the singing Silver Swan from an issue of I think Sensation. It was a great concept that won't be seen again.

I like an arc that builds towards something and has a resolution, and if not a resolution at least a hope of being brought up again and resolved at a later date.

For me continuity is part of the reward in reading comics. It's like being a member of a secret club and it's the password. Long time readers see nuance unavailable to those seeing things for the first time and with an anthology it's Everybody's first time. You always have to wonder which version of Wonder Woman you're going to get and which rules apply.

It’s not done in ones I think. Each writer comes on for an arc and then a new writer comes on board. The arcs aren’t connected but they do tell self contained stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s not done in ones I think. Each writer comes on for an arc and then a new writer comes on board. The arcs aren’t connected but they do tell self contained stories.
    I guess it's kind of a rotating satellite book. Like imagine if Action or 'Tec changed writers every arc (although there was a period where that actually was happening in 'Tec before Tomasi took over).

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Another snippet, modern costume with the what looks like the Spartan cape she sometimes sports. So probably set over many decades.
    5820082F-A3A8-4E60-AD4C-8CA879151387.jpg

Strong writing is key. There are some decent one-and-dones but if there Are elements I like, it irks me that they're so transient. Take the singing Silver Swan from an issue of I think Sensation. It was a great concept that won't be seen again.

I like an arc that builds towards something and has a resolution, and if not a resolution at least a hope of being brought up again and resolved at a later date.

For me continuity is part of the reward in reading comics. It's like being a member of a secret club and it's the password. Long time readers see nuance unavailable to those seeing things for the first time and with an anthology it's Everybody's first time. You always have to wonder which version of Wonder Woman you're going to get and which rules apply.
    The main book already deals with continuity and story arcs. An anthology book isn't an issue and I doubt that's why the last one got cancelled. Anthologies also have an advantage of not being bogged down by bad story arcs while a continuity heavy series can't shake off a bad story so easily. They're also useful for introducing the character to new readers.

Extraordinary Member

Stephanie Phillips was on the Word Balloon podcast, talked a little about her Sensational Wonder Woman story at the 30:20ish mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNR6GAmE9Kc

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Stephanie Phillips was on the Word Balloon podcast, talked a little about her Sensational Wonder Woman story at the 30:20ish mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNR6GAmE9Kc
    Not exactly hyped for another "who is Wonder Woman" story but some interesting stuff.

Interesting she wondered if they'd be allowed to use Hawkgirl. Guess DC can get weird on which characters writers allow them to use for guest spots.